Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
As I said in the post before, booking as two one ways is better exactly for this reason.

The problem is that you can't SDC the return until the outbound is flown.
Thanks.

Will just go ahead and change to the flights I need and pay the change fee...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by qasr
As I said in the post before, booking as two one ways is better exactly for this reason.
However 2 one-ways means 2 change fees if the SDC route doesn't work, or if the trip is canceled outright.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
However 2 one-ways means 2 change fees if the SDC route doesn't work, or if the trip is canceled outright.
But only one change fee, and reprice only one, if only one of the journeys need to be changed.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by docbert
That's true. Most of my trips are pretty solid up front, maybe only a day change at late notice. If your trip is very unsure up front then probably booking as a RT makes sense, assuming cost is > 2x a change fee.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rarely checked bag and I cannot figure this out after reading wiki. If SDC is not available for my desired flight and I go to airport to standby, can I still check a bag?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
I rarely checked bag and I cannot figure this out after reading wiki. If SDC is not available for my desired flight and I go to airport to standby, can I still check a bag?
Yes, you can standby and check a bag. Though it's possible some agents might give you a hard time.

Generally, for domestic, it gets tagged and sent on the standby flight, whether you make it or not, and will be available in the bag office in the latter case.

For international, I have to admit it's been a while since I've tried, but the bag has to fly on the same flight as you. Assuming thugs haven't changed, what they'll do is tag for the confirmed flight and will attach a standby tag on it (kind of looks similar to a priority tag). If you make standby, the gate will call down to the bag room and have your bag moved onto the flight - presumably the standby tag means they will have it in a place where it is easy to get to.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
....Generally, for domestic, it gets tagged and sent on the standby flight, whether you make it or not, and will be available in the bag office in the latter case.....
Thank you. :-: It is a domestic itinerary. Hope it works as described.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Wow, I get a monster headache reading some of the shenanigans that you guys are doing with SDC

Me, I'm just trying to do a very simple SDC on my upcoming PHL-SAN-PHL in order to not having to wake up too early ;-). We'll see how things will go with my efforts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Same Day Change Question

Hi! I am a newbie, and Im looking for some advice/insight on a trip SFO- EWR this weekend.

I have a one-way P class First Class fare sfo-lax-ewr on the redeye departing Friday 10/31 659 pm. I think I paid around $570 for the one way when I bought the ticket weeks ago and I now need to change to a Saturday 11/1 departure. I am a UA platinum and new to the Same Day Change without fee procedure. Something came up and I need to be around on Saturday til the afternoon. But I need to be in EWR by Sunday morning, and I need the miles to get me to 1K!

The flight I would probably change to within the 24 hour period is the 350 pm flight to LAS on Saturday afternoon, connecting to the 10 pm flight to EWR. Both show "P9" in expert flyer mode available and there are 16 seats on the seat chart in F on the SFO-LAS leg and 8 seats on the seat chart in F for the LAS to EWR leg for these flights. I just checked and if I confirm a change now, I'd have to pay $340 in fare difference and a $200 change fee and it would book into First with an A class fare.

Ive read that I can do a SDC but that the original fare class needs to be available for the flight to which you "same day change." My question is whether the P class fares are likely to dissappear before the 24 hour change window opens up for me? Will CPUs process and keep me from SDC'ing to those flights because they will take all the P class seats?
Or does United tend to save some seats for purchases (including in P class) within the 24 hour window?

If its unlikely that I can get the same P class fare in F on a flight out to EWR (either the itinerary I've located or any other later flight direct or one-stop) within the 24 our window, then I will just pay the $543 and book the confirmed fare.

But if its pretty likely that I can get P class fare on a flight out sometime (non-stop or with connections) on Saturday, then I will just hold off and figure out the SDC.

One additional question - When can I log on and try to do the SDC? If my original flight was 659 pm on Friday, does this mean I can log on at 700 pm on Thursday and do the flight change?

Also, I hear you can do back to back changes, so if I do a SDC to the Saturday 350 pm SFO-LAS and connecting LAS-EWR flight at 659 pm on Friday night, if I then wait until 1100 pm on Friday night, I can do another SDC to the Saturday night non-stop redeye SFO-EWR, correct?

Thanks to all in advance for your advice!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Thanks to all in advance for your advice!
That is a very long post

If I were you, I would be hoping to change to the 2:50 p.m. nonstop SFO-EWR, since that aircraft will have lie-flats. Or failing that, one of the two nonstop red-eyes.

You can only make an SDC when you are within 24 hours of both the existing and new flights. You will do best making this change via the UA app or by calling it in. The website is buggy.

And yes you can make back to back changes to switch to a flight more than 24 hours out.

Your biggest concern is that UA will fill the F cabin with CPUs before you can make the change.

Since it appears you have some flexibility on time and routing, there's a very good chance you will be able to find a flight with one P seat available.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

Is your P fare an /UPDI? I've never gotten the app to show me a (theoretically possible) SDC on an UPDI (probably because it's looking for the underlying economy fare). I would look for the P bucket online and call in if you aren't seeing it in the app.

You may also get pushback from the agent, either telling you there is no space in whatever your underlying bucket is or saying that have to book you in Y and put you on the upgrade standby list. Neither of these assertions are correct; your bucket is converted to P upon ticketing. If you can't get anywhere after explaining this HUCA.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
Me, I'm just trying to do a very simple SDC on my upcoming PHL-SAN-PHL in order to not having to wake up too early ;-). We'll see how things will go with my efforts
Ah, the reasons for SDC! Not wanting to wake up too early. I like these kinds of reasons. Recently, on a P fare, I changed PHL-ORD-LAX to PHL-IAH-LAX because I didn't like the fact that I wasn't getting a hot breakfast from PHL-ORD in FC. After I SDC'd to the new itinerary, I got a hot breakfast from PHL-IAH. I'm a spoiled brat! But free SDC with UA Gold status, I'll take it!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Thanks!
I guess it boils down to whether I should pay $500 to guarantee a first class seat on the new flight or whether I gamble and risk possibly getting an SDC to a first class for free, with the downside that I might have to go in economy in a crummy seat! Appreciate your input!

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a very long post

If I were you, I would be hoping to change to the 2:50 p.m. nonstop SFO-EWR, since that aircraft will have lie-flats. Or failing that, one of the two nonstop red-eyes.

You can only make an SDC when you are within 24 hours of both the existing and new flights. You will do best making this change via the UA app or by calling it in. The website is buggy.

And yes you can make back to back changes to switch to a flight more than 24 hours out.

Your biggest concern is that UA will fill the F cabin with CPUs before you can make the change.

Since it appears you have some flexibility on time and routing, there's a very good chance you will be able to find a flight with one P seat available.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Thanks!
I guess it boils down to whether I should pay $500 to guarantee a first class seat on the new flight or whether I gamble and risk possibly getting an SDC to a first class for free, with the downside that I might have to go in economy in a crummy seat! Appreciate your input!
If the $500 didn't hurt, I personally would change to the 14:30 flight on the int'l 752. For the lie-flat and to avoid the stress of watching the F cabins fill. Note also that you may be able to change to the ps red-eye for less money (as the one-way P fare on ps is currently $150 cheaper than the Z on SFO-EWR).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is possible to SDC an itinerary multiple times; there is no limit on that aspect of the benefit.

Using it to break the fare rules, which it sounds like you are trying to do, is a less consistent situation. And oft likely to fail.
i've SDC'd a flight during a connection to the next day. was offered on the ap so i gladly took it to see a friend. i would think as long as the departure is within 24 hours during the connection that would be ok. but i could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.