Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by daslax
Unfortunately, no other option... it's always my preference to avoid agents, but in this case was not offered change options in the app and trying to change the itinerary online would not piece the segments together properly without upcharging.
Easiest to call the 1K number. After the app, Plan B always is to call, they almost always know how to do it quickly. If not, say thanks, hang up and call again. (HUCA).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Well, everyone else seems to be able to do it on line (the iPhone app is my method of choice).

Has anything else changed on your side? (computer, browser, logged in / not logged in?)
no same computer and same app as before.. so you guys are getting the options online still?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
.. so you guys are getting the options online still?
Yes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes.
Yes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Yes.
ok tried another computer still nothing.. great need to call websupport and we all know how smart and helpful they are.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:17 pm

ok tried another computer still nothing.. great need to call websupport and we all know how smart and helpful they are.
It has nothing to do with your computer or account. Sometimes it doesn't work. It happens. Sometimes you're really unlucky and it doesn't work three times in a row. The only thing that calling web support will accomplish is that you'll come away with a made-up reason for the issue.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Just out of interest, I wondered if anyone has had success free SDC re-routing through GUM on a US domestic flight or on a Hawaii to US mainland flight? BTW I know it breaks a number of rules.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
.. great need to call websupport and we all know how smart and helpful they are.
They've been pretty good to me. OK, except 10 days ago when I tried to do SDC

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The only thing that calling web support will accomplish is that you'll come away with a made-up reason for the issue.
Funny you say that

Once I payed $4.95 for 3 hours internet access at LAX when their "free" access didn't work, I was able to do SDC in 3 minutes that 1K line and websupport couldn't or wouldn't do in over an hour.

Technology is great, except when it doesn't work
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Just out of interest, I wondered if anyone has had success free SDC re-routing through GUM on a US domestic flight or on a Hawaii to US mainland flight? BTW I know it breaks a number of rules.
This was maybe doable before they "fixed" the change flights feature. But now? No way.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It has nothing to do with your computer or account. Sometimes it doesn't work. It happens. Sometimes you're really unlucky and it doesn't work three times in a row. The only thing that calling web support will accomplish is that you'll come away with a made-up reason for the issue.

it hasnt worked for me 4 days in a row cause i SDC for 4 days so far and last month when i travelled also for 3 days in a row..
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:42 pm

it hasnt worked for me 4 days in a row cause i SDC for 4 days so far and last month when i travelled also for 3 days in a row..
Do your reservations have many segments in them?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone had experience of adding a layover at a midpoint? I have a BAH-IAD-LAX flight at the end of the month. However I need to get to SFO due to some appointment. Is that possible to change it to IAD-SFO-LAX? I remember it happens in the past that sometimes the kiosk doesn't show these things even if there are availability. Any excuses to use to make the agent doing that?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by zig2
Has anyone had experience of adding a layover at a midpoint? I have a BAH-IAD-LAX flight at the end of the month. However I need to get to SFO due to some appointment. Is that possible to change it to IAD-SFO-LAX? I remember it happens in the past that sometimes the kiosk doesn't show these things even if there are availability. Any excuses to use to make the agent doing that?
as long as the fare class is available, you can SDC to IAD-SFO-LAX and when you get to SFO SDC to another LAX flight that is within 24 hours.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by haddon90
as long as the fare class is available, you can SDC to IAD-SFO-LAX and when you get to SFO SDC to another LAX flight that is within 24 hours.
And since he's at least 1P, he's got a very good shot at getting standby on via standby on the flight he actually wants, if the only flight he can actually SDC for is later in the day. That's been my experience; most of the standbys seem to be non-elites and as a Plat, I've gotten past lists that were literally 30 deep as a walk-up.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
And since he's at least 1P, he's got a very good shot at getting standby on via standby on the flight he actually wants, if the only flight he can actually SDC for is later in the day. That's been my experience; most of the standbys seem to be non-elites and as a Plat, I've gotten past lists that were literally 30 deep as a walk-up.
Most of the list is usually actually nonrevs, so even a kettle will usually be at or near the top of the list.

Most people don't know about standby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.