Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Do your reservations have many segments in them?
no it was a one stop in SFO and return is two stops. nothing special both times. Didnt work again today 5th day in row..
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
no it was a one stop in SFO and return is two stops. nothing special both times. Didnt work again today 5th day in row..
Two stops will never work. See the wiki.

I suspect your issue has to do with how close all of your flights are together.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
And since he's at least 1P, he's got a very good shot at getting standby on via standby on the flight he actually wants, if the only flight he can actually SDC for is later in the day. That's been my experience; most of the standbys seem to be non-elites and as a Plat, I've gotten past lists that were literally 30 deep as a walk-up.
If you read up a bit, OP is booked IAD-LAX, presumably nonstop but wants to end up in SFO instead. Standby won't work for that, as standby doesn't allow routing changes, presumably due to the chance one gets stuck at a connecting point and can't get to their destination. Maybe some agents will do it, but they definitely aren't supposed to.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
This isn't a question about the mechanics of SDC per se, but more along the lines of "what are the odds?".

I'm flying PHL-ORD-YEG (K) on Friday and my PHL-ORD departs at 06:00. I'd like to fly out Thursday, but the earliest I could leave for the airport is 3PM, meaning that the only option which would work is the 17:55 PHL-ORD (UA1156). Currently, that's showing as Y2 YN2 B2 M1 E0, ..., K0. The seat map is empty except for a seat in F. The ORD-YEG is K9.

What are the odds of K opening up tomorrow? If it doesn't, would it be advisable to go to the airport to standby for UA1156, or would my odds of clearing be pretty low as a Premier Gold? I'd rather not pay for a ride to the airport, then pay for one to get back if it's unsuccessful. If it matters, when searching UA.com for PHL-ORD-YEG (instead of looking at individual segment availability), they're selling down to Q2.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by pewpew
This isn't a question about the mechanics of SDC per se, but more along the lines of "what are the odds?".

I'm flying PHL-ORD-YEG (K) on Friday and my PHL-ORD departs at 06:00. I'd like to fly out Thursday, but the earliest I could leave for the airport is 3PM, meaning that the only option which would work is the 17:55 PHL-ORD (UA1156). Currently, that's showing as Y2 YN2 B2 M1 E0, ..., K0. The seat map is empty except for a seat in F. The ORD-YEG is K9.

What are the odds of K opening up tomorrow? If it doesn't, would it be advisable to go to the airport to standby for UA1156, or would my odds of clearing be pretty low as a Premier Gold? I'd rather not pay for a ride to the airport, then pay for one to get back if it's unsuccessful. If it matters, when searching UA.com for PHL-ORD-YEG (instead of looking at individual segment availability), they're selling down to Q2.
IME it is unlikely for your SB to clear if it's only at Y2, especially all the way down to K. But keep an eye on it because anything could happen.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA1K

seat maps are an awful indicator of how full a flight is...it's possible K could open up, but unlikely.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:51 pm

Good chance of K opening, unless the flight sells out.

No standby because prior day. Unless you get a very nice agent.

Originally Posted by o mikros
IME it is unlikely for your SB to clear if it's only at Y2, especially all the way down to K. But keep an eye on it because anything could happen.
Hrm? Unlikely?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
seat maps are an awful indicator of how full a flight is...it's possible K could open up, but unlikely.
Well looking at the standby list also shows that UA Economy is full

What are the odds that if there's still Y space at T-2, I could call in and reference GG SDC line 61 to get an agent to force me onto the flight?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:55 pm

Well looking at the standby list also shows that UA Economy is full

What are the odds that if there's still Y space at T-2, I could call in and reference GG SDC line 61 to get an agent to force me onto the flight?
See my post immediately above.

In the ordinary course, if Y remains greater than 1, K will open at T-3.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I need some advice...

Last week, I had a flight at 8pm on Thursday which I wanted to change to an earlier flight on Thursday. I was flying with a co-worker, so we both logged on to UA website at T-32 hours to check availability, etc. We went through the change ticket process and were both offered flights on Thursday morning at $0 fare difference and No Change fee. Surprised, we both changed and were issued new tickets on the Thursday morning flight. However, after looking at our emailed receipts, we were actually both charged the $200 change fee

I know the MS Snipping Tool is my friend but I really didn't anticipate this. Do I stand a chance of winning this one with UA?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:16 pm

Hrm? Unlikely?
In my experience, when a 738 flight is F0Y2B2M1-0-0... it typically means that it's actually already oversold. In those cases, they will not open all fare classes at T-3h, and as you pointed out, standby on the previous calendar day is difficult and technically outside the rules.

Having said that, the flight is now F1Y4...H1-0-0... so it is possible that it will open up all the way down to K, but I think it is going to be a long shot. Compound that with the OP's observation that the standby list shows economy as "full" and I don't think I would waste my own time to go to the airport, since I expect a high enough probability that at the end of the day, overnighting in Philly is what's going to happen.

Interestingly enough, the "married" inventory is open down to Q, indicating that it might not be as full as they are hinting with the separate PHL-ORD.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
I need some advice...

Last week, I had a flight at 8pm on Thursday which I wanted to change to an earlier flight on Thursday. I was flying with a co-worker, so we both logged on to UA website at T-32 hours to check availability, etc. We went through the change ticket process and were both offered flights on Thursday morning at $0 fare difference and No Change fee. Surprised, we both changed and were issued new tickets on the Thursday morning flight. However, after looking at our emailed receipts, we were actually both charged the $200 change fee

I know the MS Snipping Tool is my friend but I really didn't anticipate this. Do I stand a chance of winning this one with UA?
Don't even bother with UA. Just file the DOT complaint. It's just a bait and switch, and the customer shouldn't be forced to do anything more than expect the website to work. Once you file the DOT complaint, you'll get your money back with no fuss.

Originally Posted by o mikros
In my experience, when a 738 flight is F0Y2B2M1-0-0... it typically means that it's actually already oversold. In those cases, they will not open all fare classes at T-3h, and as you pointed out, standby on the previous calendar day is difficult and technically outside the rules.
It means it is overbooked, not oversold. It means that there are still two seats that they think will go unfilled.

IME, Y0 is a great shot for standby. Y2? That's almost a sure thing.

Lately, I haven't been seeing the refusal to open up fare classes at T-3 for overbooked flights as much as I used to. These days, it seems to be Y2...N2XN0X0. But that could be the routes I fly.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Don't even bother with UA. Just file the DOT complaint. It's just a bait and switch, and the customer shouldn't be forced to do anything more than expect the website to work. Once you file the DOT complaint, you'll get your money back with no fuss.

It means it is overbooked, not oversold. It means that there are still two seats that they think will go unfilled.

IME, Y0 is a great shot for standby. Y2? That's almost a sure thing.

Lately, I haven't been seeing the refusal to open up fare classes at T-3 for overbooked flights as much as I used to. These days, it seems to be Y2...N2XN0X0. But that could be the routes I fly.
Just an update: at T-3.5, it opened up to T, but I was in L, and the agent wouldn't move me without a fare difference. Now it's T-3 and Y1,...T1L0, so I guess I'm spending the night in Philly.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:53 pm

Question Same Day Change for an IN Award Ticket? For the day before? (w/in 24hours)

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently confirmed on a Thursday morning 715am flight SFO-LAX-JFK in IN class.

I'm waitlisted on SFO-JFK on the day before Wednesday at the 430pm flight.

The 430pm flight is J9 JN9 etc...all 9's with R3 and RN3 IN0 I0 .

Just in case this waitlist doesn't clear...would it still be possible to just show up at the airport and go standby for the 430pm SFO-JFK non-stop?

Will I be able to add myself on the airport stanby list for BusinessFirst when I check in for the original SFO-LAX-JFK flight for Thursday morning?

Thanks for the info!

M.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:28 pm

What is the difference between overbooked and oversold? I mean that question sincerely, since I have always used the terms interchangeably but am looking to learn more. Both to me mean that the airline has sold more tickets than there are seats on the plane, and they do so expecting that some number of those tickets will not be redeemed for that particular flight.

To me, the fact that they are selling two more tickets reflects that they think the upside of marginal Y revenue combined with the expectation of some number of people misconnecting outweighs the potential problems of having to deal with an oversell situation when the flight goes out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.