Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Actually it isn't at all. The call handling times due to the merger are tremendously longer on both sides as the issues are more complex and they don't have all that many more folks working the phones so the hold times are higher. There was a period late last year where call handle times was decreasing but I'm not so sure that's still actually the trend.
Well, I'm going on about 80 minutes right now. Can't remember the last time I had to call, so I have no basis for comparison.

So, does Continental usually match status if you provide the appropriate documentation? (Copy of existing card) How often do they reject the request? (Never sent in a request before)

EDIT: Just passed two hours on hold!

Last edited by LittleJohn918; Jan 9, 2012 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Missing Miles Credit from 2011 - effect on status?

I have a question that I think I know the answer to but am not sure. I can't verify if I'm correct, as the CO Onepass Service Center isn't accepting calls at the moment!

My current 2011 status is Silver, with 46,730 miles flown. In Oct. 2011 I flew approx 8400 miles with TP from Brazil to Europe. My miles weren't credited automatically, so I sent in all the documents to Onepass in early November 2011. I received an email three days ago (Jan 06) apologizing for the delay in processing my credits and telling me to expect them in two weeks.

I'll be flying from Brazil to Canada in Feb/Mar 2012, and want to confirm that when I'm credited with the additional 8400 miles, my 2011 status will be adjusted to Gold. I think that's the case, and hope that it's so for E Plus seating, lounge access and mileage bonus.

It's confusing the this business of extended 2011 benefits for the first quarter 2012, but it looks to me like I should have Gold from the time my credits are processed until Jan. 2013.

If anyone is sure what the story is, I'd love to hear confirmation, one way or the other.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Actually, it absolutely is standard... for me. Which is the only experience I can speak to.
And, as we all know, the experience of any particular individual is easily extrapolated to apply to everyone based on personal experience.

I'm not saying that there are no hold times. In fact, I explicitly stated that hold times are high right now. But I also provided context and an explanation why. Not so hard, really.

Originally Posted by halls120
I had to call UA twice in December and both times had to wait on hold exactly zero minutes. YMMV.
And I've had calls to UA last month and this month that did have hold times and some which did not. Ditto for calls to CO.
Originally Posted by LittleJohn918
So, does Continental usually match status if you provide the appropriate documentation? (Copy of existing card) How often do they reject the request? (Never sent in a request before)
It will almost certainly be a challenge, not a match, but I cannot imaging they'll reject it so long as you are challenging from a non-*A program.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Assuming your miles get credited, they should be credited to 2011, and would qualify you for Gold/Premier Gold in 2012, starting immediately (although the "new benefits" of Premier Gold won't start until later in 1Q12.

The expectation is that the benefits will last through Jan. 2013, although that could always change.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: UA-1K--1MM, SPG- Titanium, HH-Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle, Global Entry
I just had a similar situation happen to my wife and I. We flew on Spanair in November and it is just now getting posted to our account. For my wife it made no difference in status level but for me, it took me from Plat to 1K BUT, and a big BUT, as stated, new program status won't go into effect until late this qtr. Sucks for me as I will be considered Plat and not 1K when I worked so hard to hit 1K and was looking forward to my little edge. Not the case now, we all will essentially lose a few month's of the newly acquired status

Originally Posted by jpyvr
I have a question that I think I know the answer to but am not sure. I can't verify if I'm correct, as the CO Onepass Service Center isn't accepting calls at the moment!

My current 2011 status is Silver, with 46,730 miles flown. In Oct. 2011 I flew approx 8400 miles with TP from Brazil to Europe. My miles weren't credited automatically, so I sent in all the documents to Onepass in early November 2011. I received an email three days ago (Jan 06) apologizing for the delay in processing my credits and telling me to expect them in two weeks.

I'll be flying from Brazil to Canada in Feb/Mar 2012, and want to confirm that when I'm credited with the additional 8400 miles, my 2011 status will be adjusted to Gold. I think that's the case, and hope that it's so for E Plus seating, lounge access and mileage bonus.

It's confusing the this business of extended 2011 benefits for the first quarter 2012, but it looks to me like I should have Gold from the time my credits are processed until Jan. 2013.

If anyone is sure what the story is, I'd love to hear confirmation, one way or the other.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Gold
It will almost certainly be a challenge, not a match, but I cannot imaging they'll reject it so long as you are challenging from a non-*A program.
Right, that's what I figured. Now, if I could just get someone to pickup the phone! (2hrs 20 mins on hold...and counting!)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:12 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Is it possible to upgrade a United metal flight with United instruments that was booked on Continental? When I plug in the UA PNR that CO gives me, I can bring up the flights, but .bomb says there are no flights to be upgraded.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JeffK69
I just had a similar situation happen to my wife and I. We flew on Spanair in November and it is just now getting posted to our account. For my wife it made no difference in status level but for me, it took me from Plat to 1K BUT, and a big BUT, as stated, new program status won't go into effect until late this qtr. Sucks for me as I will be considered Plat and not 1K when I worked so hard to hit 1K and was looking forward to my little edge. Not the case now, we all will essentially lose a few month's of the newly acquired status
It doesnt matter when it posts; what matters is when it was flown. system will make the adjustment, i am sure.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by aau
Is it possible to upgrade a United metal flight with United instruments that was booked on Continental? When I plug in the UA PNR that CO gives me, I can bring up the flights, but .bomb says there are no flights to be upgraded.
I believe the rule is still that certificate-supported upgrades have to be booked as the UA code to be processed in advance. I seem to remember reports of people being able to have an agent convert a booking from CO to UA code via the phone in such cases but no guarantees.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by aau
I believe the rule is still that certificate-supported upgrades have to be booked as the UA code to be processed in advance. I seem to remember reports of people being able to have an agent convert a booking from CO to UA code via the phone in such cases but no guarantees.
What about transferring the upgrade instrument from your MP to your CO account and applying the upgrade from there? (assuming you have both a MP and OP account and the accounts are linked)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
How can you tell the availability of UA metal upgrade availability (for SWUs)?

On co.com it is R bucket and a few UA flights show R bucket as well. But for UA flights that don't show R bucket in the fare class - is there anyway to tell without calling?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aau
There is no problem with CO codeshares of UA metal -- the Integration Desk will convert them to UA flight numbers if needed.

Other codeshares on UA metal are still a no go.

Originally Posted by goalie
What about transferring the upgrade instrument from your MP to your CO account and applying the upgrade from there? (assuming you have both a MP and OP account and the accounts are linked)
The upgrade instrument needs to match the operator, not the marketer. -- anyways the transfer of instrument to your other account takes the Integration Desk -- so just call explain what you want to do, they will ask for your account numbers (and likely your CO PIN) and it will be handled.

The past two weeks, I was transfered to the Integration Desk once and in the other case the phone agent called the Integration Desk and put me on hold -- either way it was done.

Originally Posted by cova
How can you tell the availability of UA metal upgrade availability (for SWUs)?

On co.com it is R bucket and a few UA flights show R bucket as well. But for UA flights that don't show R bucket in the fare class - is there anyway to tell without calling?
For UA, you need to find NC or NF depending on the class you are upgrading to.

You need to be in Expert Mode and looking at a dummy award booking to see the Flight Details with NC/NF showing.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

For UA, you need to find NC or NF depending on the class you are upgrading to.

You need to be in Expert Mode and looking at a dummy award booking to see the Flight Details with NC/NF showing.
I have a slightly different experience.

This morning I was looking for a upgradeable flight IAC-MUC for this fall. On UA.com, I first searched by booking with miles, and found several flights showing NC2 availability. When I searched the same dates for purchase using M or H fares, I found the usual "upgrades may be available" tag.

Went right over to CO.com, and ran an advanced search on the same dates, checking the "OnePass reward upgrade" box, and no matter how I structured the search, I got a "no upgrades available" note for the very same flights - UA 902/3.

This wasn't the case a few months ago - when I ran similar searches on both carriers, I found upgrade availability to be consistent across both sites.

Is this a transition glitch?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
....Is this a transition glitch?
I have only found checking on the native website for the upgrade inventory reports to be reliable. Cross site information reliability comes and goes and I go to the native sites.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have only found checking on the native website for the upgrade inventory reports to be reliable. Cross site information reliability comes and goes and I go to the native sites.
Agreed.

Right when the CO "expert mode" came out it was showing the UA inventory somewhat reliably. That has since waned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.