Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is probably a bit more than a single response question . . . probably best to continue the discussion in one of the above threads

Many thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I thought Plats were losing that benefit, and only GS/1K would retain it
Indeed.

Originally Posted by mrx900
RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE REFUNDED
That means refundable. :-:
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
MP vs OP Number

I have 4 segments upcoming on CO metal.

I just want to confirm that it's preferable to use my OP# over my MP# for upgrade priority and that it won't matter for RDM bonus accrual as my 1P / Gold status should get me 100% either way.

Anyone foresee problems with this if I booked using my MP# on .bomb? I have my OP# applied on CO.com

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Tru Dat
I have 4 segments upcoming on CO metal.

I just want to confirm that it's preferable to use my OP# over my MP# for upgrade priority and that it won't matter for RDM bonus accrual as my 1P / Gold status should get me 100% either way.

Anyone foresee problems with this if I booked using my MP# on .bomb? I have my OP# applied on CO.com

Thanks in advance.
Correct, it is preferable.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
elite - presidential status

Hi,

In the past I found a lot of answers on this forum, so I will post my question here:

Since the beginning of 2012 to earn presidential/elite status with United Airlines (I'm a former CO-S), you have to fly at least 4 paid flights, it's unsufficient to just fly the 25000 miles.
This is the question I asked Continental and they ended up being mad at me after 5 emails, leaving me with no answer:

What exactly does 4 paid flights mean? Is a roundtrip 1 flight or 2? If you have to take a connecting flight to get to your destination, does it counts towards a 'paid' flight?

Example of an itinerary booked as 1 roundtrip:

01/01 BRU - EWR
01/01 EWR - LAS
01/08 LAS - EWR
01/08 EWR - BRU

How many paid flights are these? 1, 2 or 4?

At continental they don't understand my question...

My husband and I travel from Europe (BRU) to the US (west) twice a year and if that doesn't make us to silver, we book a short trip within Europe.
Since we can earn silver status that way, we stay loyal to the star alliance parters, usually continental or united (swiss within Europe). This way we saved several roundtrips to the US worth in miles. Now before I book my 2 trips for 2012, I want to make sure if we earn silver status in 2013. Flying more often is absolutely no option. Using all our miles and then switch airliner is an option we consider in case we cannot earn silver with our usual itinerary.
Our itinerary looks usually like the example I gave above.

THX
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leenco
Hi,

In the past I found a lot of answers on this forum, so I will post my question here:

Since the beginning of 2012 to earn presidential/elite status with United Airlines (I'm a former CO-S), you have to fly at least 4 paid flights, it's unsufficient to just fly the 25000 miles.
This is the question I asked Continental and they ended up being mad at me after 5 emails, leaving me with no answer:

What exactly does 4 paid flights mean? Is a roundtrip 1 flight or 2? If you have to take a connecting flight to get to your destination, does it counts towards a 'paid' flight?

Example of an itinerary booked as 1 roundtrip:

01/01 BRU - EWR
01/01 EWR - LAS
01/08 LAS - EWR
01/08 EWR - BRU

How many paid flights are these? 1, 2 or 4?

At continental they don't understand my question...

My husband and I travel from Europe (BRU) to the US (west) twice a year and if that doesn't make us to silver, we book a short trip within Europe.
Since we can earn silver status that way, we stay loyal to the star alliance parters, usually continental or united (swiss within Europe). This way we saved several roundtrips to the US worth in miles. Now before I book my 2 trips for 2012, I want to make sure if we earn silver status in 2013. Flying more often is absolutely no option. Using all our miles and then switch airliner is an option we consider in case we cannot earn silver with our usual itinerary.
Our itinerary looks usually like the example I gave above.

THX
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Your example of a possible itinerary, BRU-EWR-LAS-EWR-BRU is 4 segments. Each takeoff+landing flights = 1 segment. In order to qualify for elite status, which will soon be known as Premier status, on top of the other qualifications (25K miles...) you need to fly on 4 paid segments on a flight operated by United or Continental Airlines. As long as you manage to get 25K premier qualifying miles (PQMs) on any Star Alliance (*A) partner, AND fly that route you want, you will earn Premier Silver for this year.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
How long does it usually take for a miles transfer from UA to CO to take effect? I transferred over some miles so that I could upgrade a CO reservation but they are not showing up in my CO account yet. Oddly, the "activity" is reflected in my account summary, but the miles have not yet been added to my balance.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joshwex90
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Your example of a possible itinerary, BRU-EWR-LAS-EWR-BRU is 4 segments. Each takeoff+landing flights = 1 segment. In order to qualify for elite status, which will soon be known as Premier status, on top of the other qualifications (25K miles...) you need to fly on 4 paid segments on a flight operated by United or Continental Airlines. As long as you manage to get 25K premier qualifying miles (PQMs) on any Star Alliance (*A) partner, AND fly that route you want, you will earn Premier Silver for this year.
THX!!!

Strange that Continental couldn't answer/ didn't understand my question...

Anyway, thx a lot!!! ^
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
check-in luggage

If the connection time for an international flight is less than 24 hours, can the check-in luggage go all the way to destination? No sure if it will make difference, but the connection flight is on next day, there will be an over night stay outside of airport. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:15 pm

2 free bags for each Mileage Plus card used under a single account?

I bought 4 tix 2 by 2 (with 2 on my card and 2 on my wife's card under my account) hoping i would be entitled to 4 total free bags. does anyone have any experience on this? is it just ymmv?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shiframeir
I bought 4 tix 2 by 2 (with 2 on my card and 2 on my wife's card under my account) hoping i would be entitled to 4 total free bags. does anyone have any experience on this? is it just ymmv?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

I believe the baggage benefit is only for the primary cardholder but showing the card at the counter might get it waived anyways.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shiframeir
Originally Posted by sbm12
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

I believe the baggage benefit is only for the primary cardholder but showing the card at the counter might get it waived anyways.
Welcome to FT!! Which card do you have? If it's the Explorer card, then you can check 1 bag for free for the primary cardholder and one additional bag for free for one companion. So in this case, if you and your wife each have separate accounts, and you booked 2 tickets with each card, (and both of you are flying,) then yes, you can check 4 bags for free.

United Mileage Plus Explorer Credit Card - Chase.com
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:30 pm

i have these PC passes that i got via applying for cc.
it appears there are no longer any PC clubs at least in ORD.
Am i allowed to use these to get into UA lounges at ORD?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kaiotes
i have these PC passes that i got via applying for cc.
it appears there are no longer any PC clubs at least in ORD.
Am i allowed to use these to get into UA lounges at ORD?
yes (the United Club is the merger of the RCC & PC lounges) -- but the passes are one-time use only.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
MP Signature Visa EQMs on CO

Both my wife and I have the MP Signature Visa cards that give us 5,000 EQMs for the first $5,000 we spend on united.com. We also both have MP and OP accounts, and they are linked. I thought I had read in some thread on FT that using the card on continental.com would also earn the EQMs, but when we purchased some tickets on continental.com late last year my wife's EQMs never showed up (I had already gotten my 5,000). Now, those few miles would not have made a difference in her status, so it is no biggie, but I am wondering about this year. Does anyone know whether we will continue to get the MP Visa EQMs once the merged site is stood up and all booking is through what is now continental.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.