Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Can someone who has actually sat in or carefully observed 45A/K please report on the degree of impingement created by the exit slide protrusion? I've seen explanations that run the gamut from "it's the worst thing ever" to "you won't even notice it if you're under 6'5"."
IIRC, this seat is only OK if you are travelling with your significant other, and can share his/her space by putting your legs at an angle. At least that was my recommendation when I placed my wife in that seat
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Can someone who has actually sat in or carefully observed 45A/K please report on the degree of impingement created by the exit slide protrusion? I've seen explanations that run the gamut from "it's the worst thing ever" to "you won't even notice it if you're under 6'5"."
Do not book those seats. I have not personally sat in them, but I flew on the 747 to Australia more times than I care to remember -- here's some notes.

1. It is less legroom than a normal seat because you can't really extend your legs

2. You can only extend your legs at an angle. If sitting forward is 0, then the angle is probably 45-50 degrees

3. You cannot "angle yourself" without invading the space of the person next to you

4. You can, in theory, put your legs on the slide. However, this is awkward because the slide is higher than the seat, so your legs angle up. The angle isn't too bad -- probably 10 degrees or so.

Obviously, you have to be tall enough to reach the slide for that to work. I never paid that close attention, but I'd guess you'd need to be over 6 ft to reach it comfortably.

5. Those seats are near the galley opening, there is a curtain, but it can sometime leave much to be desired

6. People tend to congregate in those areas, not so much 45 A/K as 33 A/K -- but people do stand near the exits/flt attendant seats. People *will* stand on the "far" side of slide nearest the jumpseat. Not something I'd enjoy on a long flight.

Finally, it is also worth noting that when Qantas flew the 747 between US/Australia they would not book the equivalent of 45 A/K and 33 A/K unless absolutely necessary. That fact alone should speak volumes.

Hope that's helpful!

-- Dan
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have sat in 45K, and would agree with most of the previous post. However, I would say the legroom is not less than a normal seat, because on the UA 747, that legroom is already pretty limited. This seat gives you somewhat more flexibility. If you are seated upright it is comparable - it's only a problem if you want to stick your legs out in front of you.

I also found I could extend my legs more straight than 45 degrees (maybe 22.5 degrees).

So my assessment is that it's roughly comparable to other window seats, except you have easier access to get out. But it's not the bonus that C and H seats are.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:16 am

Will fly HKG-SFO on 747-400 soon. Am a Silver so have the opportunity to get E+.

If given the choice, how would you choose among 37C (E- aisle) and 45 B/J (E+, exit rows, middle) and 45 C/H (E+, exit rows, aisle)? It's most likely that I will be avoiding row 33 and 19 and choose between 37C and 45B/J.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ConcreteVitamin
Will fly HKG-SFO on 747-400 soon. Am a Silver so have the opportunity to get E+.

If given the choice, how would you choose among 37C (E- aisle) and 45 B/J (E+, exit rows, middle) and 45 C/H (E+, exit rows, aisle)? It's most likely that I will be avoiding row 33 and 19 and choose between 37C and 45B/J.
Why would you deliberately choose a middle seat? If you're thinking this will deter others from taking the window/aisle so you can have the whole row you're sorely mistaken.

Grab 45C now or someone else will. It's by far the best choice out of all the ones you mentioned.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Why would you deliberately choose a middle seat? If you're thinking this will deter others from taking the window/aisle so you can have the whole row you're sorely mistaken.

Grab 45C now or someone else will. It's by far the best choice out of all the ones you mentioned.
It's just that it's not yet T-24 now, and United is showing 45CH are taken while the middle seats are not. So I was merely wondering about the experience between an E- aisle seat vs. an E+ exit row middle seat... (I don't have much experience flying, but I thought since exit row seats have a lot of space, getting a middle seat isn't that bad? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:06 am

It's just that it's not yet T-24 now, and United is showing 45CH are taken while the middle seats are not. So I was merely wondering about the experience between an E- aisle seat vs. an E+ exit row middle seat... (I don't have much experience flying, but I thought since exit row seats have a lot of space, getting a middle seat isn't that bad? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
If you are < 6' tall and can fit comfortably in a normal airplane seat, the difference between E- and E+ on the 747 is slim. Do not pay for an upgrade to E+ on the 747. Not worth it. On a 757 it's a very different story, but on the 747 the "extra 4" of legroom" (or whatever United says) is barely passable.

Take the Aisle in E-, left hand side of the center section has the most space, but you have to angle your legs a little. Right side of center is similar, but the angle of your legs is a little more (there's a [larger] box on the right -- doesn't impede legroom, just forces a slight angle.).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Got it...your post suggested that 45CH were still available.

In that case, I'd go for the E- aisle if there's an empty middle seat next to it - otherwise exit row middle is about the best you're going to get.

Unless you're also a tall person in which case avoid E- like the plague.

When I'm faced with long-haul in economy, my seat selection preference goes like this: Exit row aisle > E+ aisle > E+ window with empty middle > any open E+ aisle/window > E- aisle > any open E+ middle > lavatory.

But I'm also a short guy so leg room is not a "must have".
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by debracey
If you are < 6' tall and can fit comfortably in a normal airplane seat, the difference between E- and E+ on the 747 is slim. .....
Strongly disagree (@ 5'10", 32" inseam) -- I would lower that to at least 5'6". My knees hit the seat in front in E- and since 747's are rarely less than 8 hour flights, that is (/was) for me. 747E+ ain't great but >> then 747 E- for me.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Strongly disagree (@ 5'10", 32" inseam) -- I would lower that to at least 5'6". My knees hit the seat in front in E- and since 747's are rarely less than 8 hour flights, that is (/was) for me. 747E+ ain't great but >> then 747 E- for me.
Hmm... that is a bit odd because I am also 5'10" with 31" waistline --- I had no problem with E- and 8 trips to Australia... E+ is certainly better, but not "better enough" to give up an aisle seat. I certainly would not pay for it on the 747 -- on the 777 the difference seems to be a bit more, so over there I probably would.

To each his own.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
45C is next to the small door, with a large expanse of galley wall next to the seat. I don't recall any curtains. 45H is next to the large door and there may be curtains (it's been a while), and I think the door opening extends to about even with the seat.. I've sat in both and found the noise in 45C less bad. That said, they seemed to temporarily station the meal carts outside the gallery on the C side, which I don't recall them doing on the H side, but that could be a YMMV experience.
Do other passengers like to hang around in front of 45ABC?

I now have 45C on both outbound and return flights. Just wondering what will happen if I sleep with my long legs completely stretched out in the dark cabin.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TENYKS
Do other passengers like to hang around in front of 45ABC?

I now have 45C on both outbound and return flights. Just wondering what will happen if I sleep with my long legs completely stretched out in the dark cabin.
Once they start congregating, there can be quite a few waiting for lavs IIRC.

FAs also like to park the cart there - IIRC there's a latch that comes out of the floor that can lock the cart in place with more than just cart brake.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by debracey
To each his own.
Indeed. I'm 5'7" and absolutely cannot stand an E- seat for more than two hours. I think most people, regardless of height, find 31" pitch too confining to endure comfortably on a long flight.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
I know the upper deck pretty well on this plane, but not had many chances to sit in F, but have an upcoming flight up there.
So for people who have flown up front a bunch...
2A, or 3A?
TIA
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
I know the upper deck pretty well on this plane, but not had many chances to sit in F, but have an upcoming flight up there.
So for people who have flown up front a bunch...
2A, or 3A?
TIA
2A/K are more private. There is a countertop/small closet on the other side of the aisle. 3A/K are across the aisle from the center seats 3C/H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.