Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A United First Suite. Preferably 1A from a 747 or 1K from a 767

With the following extras:
  • Modified to use a standard 110V power cord
  • Video monitor modified to accept a coax cable input, so you can hook up your cable TV
  • Audio input to accept a patch cord from a scanner, so you can listen to ATC on "Channel 9"
  • Delivered by a UA baggage handler
  • Installed by a UA mechanic
  • And finally, a stack of "apology"/compensation cards that you can fill out when it breaks!
Pat89339 likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Just passed 1.5 million PQM and 200 PQS on my FRA to SFO trip.

Let me throw a question out there. I've had a couple conversations with the heads of the Mileage Plus Program, and they have asked me to come up with 10 things that they can offer on their Mileage Plus Exclusives/auction sites. Four immediately came to mind.

1) Trip on the Orient Express
2) African Safari
3) Three Perfect Day trips to the cities featured in the Hemisphere magazine (e.g. Three Perfect Days: London)
4) Cameo in a United Safety video

Any suggestions on the other 6?
The Blue Angels are in TPA this weekend. Heard them practicing overhead today and remembered that they frequently do local media flights the week before they perform. I would bid “a lot” for that opportunity. An AvGeek’s dream.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
First,thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have passed all ideas on to the execs at mileage plus.... they just say keep them coming. Now I need some help with travel , and I know flyertalkers can help me out the most. I would like to take my wife on a first class flight on a 380 using award miles. What would be the best experience available using miles? She has heard stories of a cabin that sleeps 2 etc. I’ve got the miles and would like to spoil her!. Ideas?
Old May 26, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
I would suggest the new redesigned Singapore Airlines A380, if that doesn’t work then go for th3 Etihad A380.

Enjo6!
Old May 26, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
First,thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have passed all ideas on to the execs at mileage plus.... they just say keep them coming. Now I need some help with travel , and I know flyertalkers can help me out the most. I would like to take my wife on a first class flight on a 380 using award miles. What would be the best experience available using miles? She has heard stories of a cabin that sleeps 2 etc. I’ve got the miles and would like to spoil her!. Ideas?
The only suite you'll find that actually can turn into a double bed is Singapore Airlines.

Other good A380 options would be Lufthansa and Asiana (assuming you want to stay *Alliance) otherwise you can't go wrong with the Middle East 3.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Are they available with united miles?
Old May 26, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
AFAIK Singapore does not release first class award inventory to partners.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
The reality is the according to program rules, both Singapore and Lufthansa First Class awards are available with miles, but in practice, getting them is very difficult to near impossible.

UA can open up awards to you on any flight they operate, but they cannot do the same with their partners (though given your status they would likely work with their liaison at whichever airline to try to get you what you want).

I concur that Singapore and Lufthansa are the best options.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
The Thai 380 is also very good, and if departing BKK comes with a free massage.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the only F redemption options available via UA miles are Air China, ANA, Asiana, Lufthansa, and Thai. If this is purely about the F experience, I think I'd try for HND-FRA-JFK on ANA/LH - while you'd have to overnight in FRA and you won't have an A380 on the ANA flight, I think provides two great and distinctive F experiences on one itinerary.

Last edited by 764toHI; May 26, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I think only Lufthansa F is available on UA miles, even then LH only opens up space at ~14 days before flight. LH F through FRA allows for experience at First Class Terminal, which is as good as it gets.

Singapore does not allocate their First Suite for UA miles.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I've redeemed plenty of F on LH. None on SQ.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:53 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Your best option is LH F, which you can fairly easily get as long as you book last minute. Other F products are great (Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, etc.) but much harder to book on miles, especially UA miles.

I don't recommend Singapore's old suites; they're getting pretty old. I would love to fly the new product, on the other hand.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Well, for 18M+ BIS miles, he probably has a hefty stash of URs/MRs/TYPs or what have not -- SQ is a transfer partner for all three. SQ Suites availability is tough to get on short notice though, so I hear.

Barring that, there's always coupon connection, no?
Old May 27, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
AFAIK Singapore does not release first class award inventory to partners.
SQ doesn't release Suites class awards to partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.