Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I am impressed that he calls BS on 'Up In The Air' and how Clooney's character was supposedly the most-traveled frequent flyer on AA (or whatever airline was used in the movie), especially being based out of OMA.
It's just a movie, based on a fictional character. If we started looking for accuracy in such movies, we won't get very far.

It's not an autobiographical retelling by any means (accuracy matters much more here). But I digress
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
It's just a movie, based on a fictional character. If we started looking for accuracy in such movies, we won't get very far.

It's not an autobiographical retelling by any means (accuracy matters much more here). But I digress
You are right, it’s just a movie. In the interview the reporter asked me how accurate the movie was compared to flying today... so I “ jokingly” told him. When I am ever interviewed, I make it a point to tell the truth, give the facts etc regardless of funny, serious etc. You are absolutely right about looking for accuracy in ANY movie. Even the movies “based on a true story” are loaded with inaccuracies!!!! Lol!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
21,000,000 miles equals approximately 44 round-trips to the moon. The Apollo astronauts made a combined 27 round trips.
comfortablynumb and jjmoore like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 23, 2019 at 11:39 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
21,000,000 miles equals approximately 44 round-trips to the moon. The Apollo astronauts made a combined 27 round trips.
Don't forget the Apollo missions took quite scenic routes on the way to the moon... I bet the astronauts racked up a few more miles as a result.

Last edited by jjmoore; Aug 26, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Don't forget the Apollo missions took quite scenic routes on the way to the moon... I bet the astronauts racked up a few more miles as a result. :P
You don't earn miles based on the flown route though, just shortest distance between airports
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Don't forget the Apollo missions took quite scenic routes on the way to the moon... I bet the astronauts racked up a few more miles as a result.
Wonder if the Apollo XIII astronauts requested ORC.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Hitting 3 million PQM on my flight today to Melbourne, Looking forward to one of my last trips of the year....the inaugural flight to Cape Town. Anyone else going? We should all meet up.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I am impressed that he calls BS on 'Up In The Air' and how Clooney's character was supposedly the most-traveled frequent flyer on AA (or whatever airline was used in the movie), especially being based out of OMA.
It is AA on the original theatrical release, including the "mythical" ConciergeKey card. When the movie was shown on UA flights, all the AA brandings were stripped in post-production.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It is AA on the original theatrical release, including the "mythical" ConciergeKey card. When the movie was shown on UA flights, all the AA brandings were stripped in post-production.
That is very interesting. Would love to see what that looked like. Wonder if they just did "blur" or actually inserted "fake airline" CGI into the movie?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
That is very interesting. Would love to see what that looked like. Wonder if they just did "blur" or actually inserted "fake airline" CGI into the movie?
They left the red and blue stripes in place, but all mentionings of American and the AA logo were blanked out.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
They left the red and blue stripes in place, but all mentionings of American and the AA logo were blanked out.
Fascinating. Makes me wonder if the new Spiderman movie looks different on DL or AA...
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:08 pm

United was originally approached to be the airline in the movie.They took a pass,then American was offered.
AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
United was originally approached to be the airline in the movie.They took a pass,then American was offered.
Watching the movie again now as it has been years since I seen it. Crazy to see some of the actors/actresses that were in it at the time and are now mainstream. Hilton definitely took advantage of product placement. Just remembering one of my favorite parts was when he just walked up to the desk at the Hilton (Hampton Suites??) while there was a line and the lady at the front of the lines asked why he gets to go first and the desk attendant said we take care of our most loyal customers and George Clooney grabbed a Hilton Honors pamphlet and handed it to the lady and said you should sign up or something. The look on her face..
kirkwoodj and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:09 pm

I almost did the “Flat Stanley” one year, but I thought he would make me look too fa! Lol.
kirkwoodj, AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Looking forward to one of my last trips of the year....the inaugural flight to Cape Town. Anyone else going? We should all meet up.
does anyone know if UA is going to add this CPT flight year round? Also I would think it should switch to JNB??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.