ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
In a couple of minutes, Nightline will be showing an" Up In The Air " segment on nightline. i spent the whole day filming with these people. They were totally professional. The bottom line is this, I have no idea what will come out.
Hi Tom,

Sorry I was not in the US when the Nigtline episode aired, and I did not get a chance to see you live in action, but I will see if I can download the podcast when I get to a location with fast internet conenction.

Based on the reviews in this thread, it appears you did a good job! I am proud of you.

Keep in touch!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great pub and glad you got a chance to represent UA and FT.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:22 am

I finally saw that movie, in MNL of all places. (of course, I flew to SFO so I could fly UA SFO-HKG and bookended overnights in HKG on the way in and out of MNL, but that's another story).

Anyway, all I could think of during the movie was how George Clooney was one set of luggage behind me.

Nice story and thanks for posting your story here and "on the air" Tom.

-David
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
As far as the 250k goes I hit it in early March. Just landed in Melbourne this morning, finally got the 9MM mark.
When you hit the 10MM mark, I hope UA gives you a special MP card with a dedicated private number that only YOU get to use. Just like George Clooney in "Up in the Air." And maybe a special webpage on UA.bomb that only you can view. Wait, maybe you already have those perks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just landed in Melbourne this morning, finally got the 9MM mark.
Congratulations! Time to update your profile...

Originally Posted by DCBob
When you hit the 10MM mark
Should we start a pool?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
When you hit the 10MM mark, I hope UA gives you a special MP card with a dedicated private number that only YOU get to use. Just like George Clooney in "Up in the Air." And maybe a special webpage on UA.bomb that only you can view. Wait, maybe you already have those perks!
I know what they will give him for 10MM...

Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
First I just hope Tom is alive and well. At Tom's present rate that is roughly a year and a half from now. Thus sometime in the fall of 2011 he should hit 10mm.

I think a bronze casting of his bottom is in order.

Also out of curiosity how much $ do you spend a year on UA tickets? 300k?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Thanks for the kind words. It was very nice meeting you and your lovely wife. As far as the 250k goes I hit it in early March. Just landed in Melbourne this morning, finally got the 9MM mark. Everybody along the way from the flight attendants to the pilots to ground personell to the lounge people made a big deal of it. I am so grateful to have so many United employees that I consider friend/family. I am headed to Oahu for a long Easter weekend. Any chance you will be on the Island at that time?
congrats on the 9MM!!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by HNLescapee
So, just out of curiosity (from someone who will be THRILLED if he ever hits 1MM), do you get something spiffy from UA at each MM after 3MM?
At 7MM I was given an engraved Ipod with a couple hundred dollars of credit for downloads, and for 8MM I was given a gift certificate for wine for 500.00. I use my Ipod almost daily and i have toasted United several times with some great California cabs. As far as the 9mm, it doesn't matter. In the last year I have seen above average customer service most of the time and extraordinairy service to be more common.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

At 7MM I was given an engraved Ipod with a couple hundred dollars of credit for downloads, and for 8MM I was given a gift certificate for wine for 500.00. I use my Ipod almost daily and i have toasted United several times with some great California cabs. As far as the 9mm, it doesn't matter. In the last year I have seen above average customer service most of the time and extraordinairy service to be more common.
I know for a fact that the GS agents at ORD adore you!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
At any point did they bestow you with GS for life? If not perhaps that's coming at 10MM..
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
At any point did they bestow you with GS for life? If not perhaps that's coming at 10MM..
Nope. I have to requlify every year just like everyone else.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: United Airlines
May I ask what uaflyer does that requires him/her to be flying 100K miles/month?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by CoachDitka
May I ask what uaflyer does that requires him/her to be flying 100K miles/month?
First, I fly 50-60,000 a month not 100k. I did fly over 100k this month but this was the exception.( My fifth time) I do sales/mgmt training, have my own company and pick where I want to work. I pick Australia quite often. The economy is stronger and the people are unbelievable. I also vacation alot. Next week will be my second trip to Hawaii this year. I have already vacationed this year in Japan, Thailand, Dubai, and Australia. Life is to short so I now work to live, not live to work.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I now work to live, not live to work.
Excellent attitude!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.