Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by GDL
How many of those BIS miles would you estimate were flown in Y? I imagine the first few million may have had a healthy mix of cabins than your most recent benchmarks.

Thanks in advance. Safe travels
I think I read an article a few years ago that said that he's had a negotiated corporate rate for first class for years. So I doubt he's flown economy in...two decades at least?
Old May 14, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just to make sure you know - your brother is #2 on the roll call. GSUnitedFlyer is feeling awful sad right now
Old May 14, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by warrenw
I think I read an article a few years ago that said that he's had a negotiated corporate rate for first class for years. So I doubt he's flown economy in...two decades at least?
I have flown close to 1000 in coach over the years. Sometimes that’s all there is. Back in the 70’s and 80’s the planes weren’t as full as they are today, so it wasn’t that bad. Also the first class meals today are the coach meals from that time (pretty close) There were even times I set up my Sony Disc player and speakers in the back of the plane and DJ’d . Fun times!
Pat89339, kirkwoodj, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ua1flyer

I have flown close to 1000 in coach over the years. Sometimes that’s all there is. Back in the 70’s and 80’s the planes weren’t as full as they are today, so it wasn’t that bad. Also the first class meals today are the coach meals from that time (pretty close) There were even times I set up my Sony Disc player and speakers in the back of the plane and DJ’d . Fun times!
I'm assuming that's 1000 segments?
Old May 15, 2019, 11:09 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
I have flown close to 1000 in coach over the years. Sometimes that’s all there is.
I was imagining you'd have some 1-2 million miles flown in Y. Which is still very respectable number among many folks around FT -- more than me for sure. Even if the 1000 segments were at the minimum of 500 miles you'd be at half a million in Y, but I suspect the average to be higher than that.
Thanks for answering and continually giving us insight into all of your flying.
jjmoore likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm assuming that's 1000 segments?
Correct.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:47 am

Oops, @toddt - it was me(UA1flyer) who responded. I just realized the message posted under my brother’s account as he was signed in on my iPad during our flight together.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passing 1.5 million PQM tonight flying with my wife to Melbourne to celebrate a good friends 70 th birthday. Past 20.7 million BIS last week going to Hawaii for a few days. With my brother. Should hit 21 million sometime in September or October. I’ll have a better estimate in the last week in June. My biggest gripe about FT is all the unwarranted United employee bashing . Over 10,000 flights and I can count on one hand the employees that woke up on the wrong side of bed, yet I could point out thousands that take great pride in their job and truly care about the customers. Very few people know the real truth about some of these incidents. If you all knew the truth about the dog that died in the overhead bin or especially the real story of what actually happened with the doctor Doa incident you would not be so hard on United. Just sayin, they have about 100,000 employees if only 1 % of them wake up on the wrong side of bed each morning that’s 1,000 people. ....and that doesn’t happen I believe. But even if it did, so what. Is there a school where ther isn’t 1 percent of the teachers that probably shouldn’t be teaching? Police depts? Fire departments? Hospitals? And don’t even go there with government! My father was miserable for most his life. It was like he went out of the way to always find something to complain about. I have found that the best parents, bosses,friends etc try to focus on the good in other people first. For as long as I’ve been consulting, I’ve always preached to start every meeting discussing the things people are doing right. I found that it also works extremely well with parenting. Until next time, safe journeys everyone and maybe go out of the way today to make 3 extra people smile.
Nice post, thanks for sharing.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: All US FF programs! (Except Spirit)
Hey, congratulations on 21 (million)! Reaching 21 is an important milestone in anyone's life.

Not to bash UA or anything, but since they've announced that as of November, MileagePlus will work much like Delta's program, and since someone posted a screenshot showing a DL business class award from New York to Singapore that cost 1 million miles, it's good to know that at least someone will be able to cross the Pacific on miles a few times after the change!
Old May 31, 2019, 12:14 pm

Definitely need to buy lottery tickets this weekend! Both mega-million and Powerball are over $300,000,000! Statisticians have been quoted saying that you are more likely to be hit by lightning 6 times than winning the lottery. Well on Tuesday (5/28), while on the flight from EWR to FRA, the 787-10 we were on was hit by lightning 16 times!!! What are the odds? Should I expect to win the lottery this weekend? Only time will tell, I’ll update you on Monday.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Well didn’t hit the lottery. ( what a shock! Lol.) Back in the air today heading for Tokyo. I’ll pass 2 million PQM on the way. Looking at the calendar, it looks like I hit my 21 million in the first week of July. My summer like most unofficially starts Memorial Day. My wife and I celebrated that weekend at Nizuc in Cancun.....at least once in your life treat yourself to what I believe is Mexico’s best resort. Going to Vegas this weekend to see Gaga. Became a big fan after watching A Star is Born. Hope she sings a bunch of those songs. The following week it’s “Stukerfest” ( my 2 boys and my brother) at the Cubs - Sox game at Wrigley. 2 days later , my wife and I go see The Rolling Stones at Soldier Field in Chicago (thank-you United Auctions!!! ) The following day we take off to another favorite of ours , The Pavillions in Phuket (pool villa for sure). Great way to end June. I thank God every day for blessing me with the ability to take my wife and family on journeys that so many...so many more deserving people just don’t have that chance. In the fall I will begin on a project to try to change that. More details in the fall. In the meantime, enjoy the summer with your families and those you love. Growing up in a big family , we never traveled more than about 200 miles from the house until I was a senior in high school and took my first commercial flight (on United of course) to San Antonio. Before that, one of my most memorable adventures was “camping out” on the driveway , in the station wagon with the seats folded down and the windows open to here the sounds of the night. Great memories are made in many different ways. Make great ones this summer.
wxguy, iapetus, United747 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Well didn’t hit the lottery. ( what a shock! Lol.) Back in the air today heading for Tokyo. I’ll pass 2 million PQM on the way. Looking at the calendar, it looks like I hit my 21 million in the first week of July. My summer like most unofficially starts Memorial Day. My wife and I celebrated that weekend at Nizuc in Cancun.....at least once in your life treat yourself to what I believe is Mexico’s best resort. Going to Vegas this weekend to see Gaga. Became a big fan after watching A Star is Born. Hope she sings a bunch of those songs. The following week it’s “Stukerfest” ( my 2 boys and my brother) at the Cubs - Sox game at Wrigley. 2 days later , my wife and I go see The Rolling Stones at Soldier Field in Chicago (thank-you United Auctions!!! ) The following day we take off to another favorite of ours , The Pavillions in Phuket (pool villa for sure). Great way to end June. I thank God every day for blessing me with the ability to take my wife and family on journeys that so many...so many more deserving people just don’t have that chance. In the fall I will begin on a project to try to change that. More details in the fall. In the meantime, enjoy the summer with your families and those you love. Growing up in a big family , we never traveled more than about 200 miles from the house until I was a senior in high school and took my first commercial flight (on United of course) to San Antonio. Before that, one of my most memorable adventures was “camping out” on the driveway , in the station wagon with the seats folded down and the windows open to here the sounds of the night. Great memories are made in many different ways. Make great ones this summer.
A bit OT but saw Gaga in Vegas and it was unreal. Go to the Jazz and Piano show (or both) you won't be disappointed. Saw her with Tony Bennett it was like an old school Vegas show. Below images taken with crummy iphone from seat.

Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Well didn’t hit the lottery. ( what a shock! Lol.)
Hah, hah! I see what you did there!

In the meantime, enjoy the summer with your families and those you love. Growing up in a big family , we never traveled more than about 200 miles from the house until I was a senior in high school and took my first commercial flight (on United of course) to San Antonio. Before that, one of my most memorable adventures was “camping out” on the driveway , in the station wagon with the seats folded down and the windows open to here the sounds of the night. Great memories are made in many different ways. Make great ones this summer.
Thanks for that. It really spoke to me.

mrs. iapetus and her mom and the iapetus jrs. leave for LHR next week. I'm excited for them; there's just something about the tangible excitement aboard an outbound TATL in the summertime that you just don't get at other times during the year and that I really love. My family will meet me in Rome the following weekend, kicking off three weeks in Italia. It's the fourth straight summer that my kids have been to Europe, and they're not even ten yet! I think I didn't make it across the Atlantic until I was ... ~28. After Europe, we'll be heading to Alaska. They'll beat me to that mark, too; I was only 12 when I went. And, at times, I almost wonder if they're not getting spoiled by it all. But I also think that it's the right thing to do for them, and I trust that they will come to appreciate the opportunities they've already had.

I hope that everyone else is looking forward to great summer travel, too ... even if we can't all do it at Tom's clip.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by iapetus
Hah, hah! I see what you did there!

Thanks for that. It really spoke to me.

mrs. iapetus and her mom and the iapetus jrs. leave for LHR next week. I'm excited for them; there's just something about the tangible excitement aboard an outbound TATL in the summertime that you just don't get at other times during the year and that I really love. My family will meet me in Rome the following weekend, kicking off three weeks in Italia. It's the fourth straight summer that my kids have been to Europe, and they're not even ten yet! I think I didn't make it across the Atlantic until I was ... ~28. After Europe, we'll be heading to Alaska. They'll beat me to that mark, too; I was only 12 when I went. And, at times, I almost wonder if they're not getting spoiled by it all. But I also think that it's the right thing to do for them, and I trust that they will come to appreciate the opportunities they've already had.

I hope that everyone else is looking forward to great summer travel, too ... even if we can't all do it at Tom's clip.
Adding to the summer family plans share.. I'm taking my mom, aunt and uncle to Europe this summer. We land in London and making our way to Rome over a couple of weeks time. It's been several years since our last trip together.. Looking forward a delightful summer. Wishing the same for fellow flyertalkers.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Nice! I just took my mom & dad to Italy on points & miles. I feel very blessed to have been able to do this. Great trip! My advice is to buy all of your attraction tickets in advance, to minimize the time you spend waiting in line in Rome. Hope you have a great trip! Thanks for inspiring us all to be better people, Tom!
Kitto likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.