Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Arriving into Gatwick at 10:30 PM, flying out the next day at 2 PM from Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving into Gatwick at 10:30 PM, flying out the next day at 2 PM from Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There really isn't a right and wrong answer to this
I think there is one wrong answer, and that's taking the train into and out of London in the evening. It might be an OK idea in the morning, but it's terrible if the aim is to transfer to LHR and then stay there. I happen to think that coach or maybe taxi is the best idea either way, and I also think it's better to stay at LGW, but these are more marginal choices.
stifle likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
All personal preference, but add me to the list of people saying get a hotel as close to Gatwick as is in budget (there's a decent range of options actually connected to the terminal - Premier Inn and Hampton by Hilton at the cheaper end but still very acceptable). It will be late, your kids will be tired, and you have to account for the possibility of a delayed arrival to make things worse. Get your head down asap and deal with the travel fresh the next day.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by NickCR
Hello All!

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Second week of April my 2 kids (10 & 13) and I will be flying into Gatwick Airport at 10:30 PM, our flight leaves Heathrow the next day at 2 PM. I assume it will take up to an hour to clear immigration at Gatwick on the way in.

Debating getting a Hotel at Gatwick or Heathrow, if Heathrow we need to transfer in the middle of the night.

Possible transport options:

Take the train - 29.20 GBP
  • Thameslink from Gatwick to Farringdon 15.90 GBP
  • The tube from Farringdon to Heathrow 13.30 GBP

Private car from Gatwick to Heathrow - 67 GBP + Tip?

Also I'm trying to understand how I could keep the cost of the hotel that night to a minimum. The airport hotels at Heathrow are quite expensive but so are the ones at Gatwick (a bit less though)

I'm concerned about having to transfer at Farringdon in the middle of the night, also will the tube on Elizabeth Line be safe?

Any suggestions about keeping the cost of the hotel near LHR lower than 350 GBP? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Nick
Arriving anywhere at that time, my focus would be on bed (probably with a couple of drinks to wind down, beforehand). Hotel at Gatwick; worry about Heathrow in the morning.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tremendous help/suggestions.

We're arriving April 12 which is a Friday so some of these night line train options might work, however do really like the idea of keeping things simple and the Airline coach seem to be the most affordable direct route ( if we can make the 22:55 departure) or possibly an Uber for 58-70 GBP at that time of day. Does anyone know if Gatwick has free wifi that i can connect to, to order an uber?

Was not familiar with the e-gates but seems we will qualify for that as we are all Canadian Citizens and will significantly reduce the times to get out of the airport. No baggage either so should be fairly painless.

Found a hotel on Bath Rd which suits our needs for a fraction of the price of hotels at the airport and includes a continental breaky. There are some added cost after taking the Coach, it's only a 7-10 GBP ride, how will a cabbie feel about travelling such a short distance?

Here is the pricing for hotels that night at the airport (so you know I'm not making this up). Maybe the price is up because it's Friday, but I can also tell you the price also changes when you add a 3rd person even if it's just a kid. The prices are for one room to accommodate all 3 of us.

Thank you again all for your comments and assistance. I've got a pretty good plan on how to get around that night. Definitely want to get to LHR so we can rest up in the AM..
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
From Bath Road to T2/T3 is about a £10 taxi fare, plus £5 drop-off charge which is imposed by LHR. You won't have to pay the drop-off charge personally, the taxi driver will do that and add it to the fare. There's no issue with that length of journey.

If - as sounds likely - you don't have vast amounts of luggage with you, the standard TfL (Transport for London) buses will cost you £1.75 each, and you get one going down to Bath Road to Central Bus Station and vv every few minutes, including through the night (albeit less frequently, but still at an acceptable level for most people). Numbers 105, 111, 285, plus the N140 and N9 at night work. If you tell us what hotel you've picked we can work out which stop you need in both directions (they may vary due to having to cross the central reservation).

It would also be helpful to know which terminal you're leaving from at LHR, because that can change a lot of the advice in terms of how best to get around.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
For reference, a family room at the Premier Inn at LGW North Terminal is currently £114 that night. It's directly across the road from the terminal (and if you arrive in the South Terminal it's a very easy transfer between the two).
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Thank you again all for your comments and assistance. I've got a pretty good plan on how to get around that night. Definitely want to get to LHR so we can rest up in the AM..
As others have said, going to LHR late at night is the worst of all options. Stay near LGW if you don't want to go to to Central London, and get the very simple, cheap and fast coach or Thameslink/Elizabeth Line the next morning. Leaving at around 9 - 9:30 is plenty early, whether by coach or by train.
stifle likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see the confusion with pricing - you are looking at the 2 hotels on terminal at the airport. I (and i suspect most others on this thread) were also including those on the Bath Road and surrounding area which are readily and easily accessible.

Do also look at the Crowne Plaza and Hilton T4. They are £95-£115 for the night you want and are easy to get to.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If - as sounds likely - you don't have vast amounts of luggage with you, the standard TfL (Transport for London) buses will cost you £1.75 each
The 10 year old will be free.
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
As others have said, going to LHR late at night is the worst of all options. Stay near LGW if you don't want to go to to Central London, and get the very simple, cheap and fast coach or Thameslink/Elizabeth Line the next morning. Leaving at around 9 - 9:30 is plenty early, whether by coach or by train.
Absolutely agree. OP: I do strongly recommend against going to LHR on arrival day. It's really not worth the faff.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I would avoid organizing road transfer between LGW and LHR for the foreseeable. The works at the A3 interchange are going to cause up to 5 weekend closures - not specifically at the time the OP wants to travel however, that part of the SE England will be an absolute fright when it does happen.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thank you all for your tremendous help/suggestions.

We're arriving April 12 which is a Friday so some of these night line train options might work, however do really like the idea of keeping things simple and the Airline coach seem to be the most affordable direct route ( if we can make the 22:55 departure) or possibly an Uber for 58-70 GBP at that time of day. Does anyone know if Gatwick has free wifi that i can connect to, to order an uber?
With a scheduled 10.30pm arrival there is no way in hell that you'd make the 22.55 coach.

The only late night 'train' option available to you would be Thameslink train to St Pancras and then change to the night tube on the Picadilly line from King's Cross next door That leg alone is an hour.on top of the hour from LGW to St Panras.and then time to get to the hotel you won't be in bed until well after 1AM

I urge you to seriously consider staying at LGW on the Friday night and make the LHR transfer the next day.when coaches and trains and taxis will be more plentiful
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:02 am

There is not a cat in hell's chance I would be even thinking of going to Heathrow at that hour. Premier Inn or Hampton on site at Gatwick (no transfer). Then up to Heathrow after a decent breakfast.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Seems like you've got plenty of ideas, but just to toss it out, I'd consider splitting the difference.
You can get an Uber somewhere that would be nice to wake up and has easy access to LHR - then you can have breakfast and maybe a walk around before heading back to the airport, instead of it just being an all-airport day.

IF you're getting into a taxi straight from LGW another few minutes wont make a diff and I'm sure late night traffic will be easier than the next morning trying to catch a flight.

I don't know London area as well as many here, but I did that in West Ealing recently. 13 Mins to LHR on the Lizzie. It was actually really nice.

Or maybe someone else could suggest other stops?
jamiel likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Hammersmith is easy to Heathrow (30 minutes on the Piccadilly Line) and there are a few hotels very close to the tube station. Novotel, Premier Inn, Seraphine Hammersmith and Holiday Inn Express, along with some independents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.