Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Arriving into Gatwick at 10:30 PM, flying out the next day at 2 PM from Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving into Gatwick at 10:30 PM, flying out the next day at 2 PM from Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Hello All!

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Second week of April my 2 kids (10 & 13) and I will be flying into Gatwick Airport at 10:30 PM, our flight leaves Heathrow the next day at 2 PM. I assume it will take up to an hour to clear immigration at Gatwick on the way in.

Debating getting a Hotel at Gatwick or Heathrow, if Heathrow we need to transfer in the middle of the night.

Possible transport options:

Take the train - 29.20 GBP
  • Thameslink from Gatwick to Farringdon 15.90 GBP
  • The tube from Farringdon to Heathrow 13.30 GBP

Private car from Gatwick to Heathrow - 67 GBP + Tip?

Also I'm trying to understand how I could keep the cost of the hotel that night to a minimum. The airport hotels at Heathrow are quite expensive but so are the ones at Gatwick (a bit less though)

I'm concerned about having to transfer at Farringdon in the middle of the night, also will the tube on Elizabeth Line be safe?

Any suggestions about keeping the cost of the hotel near LHR lower than 350 GBP? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Nick
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If you are arriving at 10:30pm, i woild not consider getting to heathrow by train that night. The lizzie li e does not run between about midnight and 4 am.

the picadilly line does run 24/7 but is infrequent and does not go to farringdon.

Once at lhr you woul be far better in a hotel on the bath road rather than on airport, so its another transfer with limited frequency

Persoanlly, arriving at that time of night, i would suggest you find and off airport hotel in crawley and transfer the next day.

Or a car transfer to a hotel on the bath road near lhr

What are your travel dates and how many rooms are you looking for? I never paid close to £350 for an airport hotel room. 3 rooms for that price. Are you looking at a room each?

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 8, 2024 at 3:34 am
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You don't say if you're eligible to use the e-gates on arrival, but your children are both old enough to do so if you qualify - 10 is the minimum age. It's unlikely at that time of day to be too long even if you need to see a Border Officer. Even so, at 10.30pm, given you have plenty of time the next day, I think it makes more sense to find a hotel at Gatwick rather than negotiate an unfamiliar system when tired.

There's an excellent LGW-LHR transfer guide on the BA forum which would help you: Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide. There are some options such as the National Express bus which may also be viable, although with four of you a (large) raxi may work best.

I agree with others that airport hotels shouldn't be anything like £350 - more like £70-100 per room.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
If you think you can manage the train after arrival (Thameslink, hourly only after 11.30pm), I'd suggest train to Farringdon, a night in the excellent Premier Inn Farringdon Smithfield (maybe with a pint at one of the Smithfied market pubs that open early for the market porters), and then Elizabeth line to LHR the next day from Farringdon.

Farringdon is OK at night, especially during the week.

The Premier Inn has family rooms around GBP 180-200 non-refundable if you book now, kids under 16 get free breakfast (two children per one paying adult).
On Thameslink, you can add children under 16 to your ticket for GBP 2.00 each, so an anytime single from Gatwick to Farringdon is currently 18.40 for one adult and two under 16s.
jamiel and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:51 am

"Take the train - 29.20 GBP". There are over 100 ticket options from Gatwick to destinations within London, it's worthy of a doctoral thesis in customer unfriendliness....
The adult fare using contactless from Gatwick to Heathrow is £20.50, providing you don't travel in weekday rush hour, and you don't travel on any train branded Express. (And despite the name and misleading marketing, using any of the trains branded Express is not going to save any time). However, as there are children in the mix (and there is no child option using Contactless), I think a paper ticket works better for you. Just get this as you leave Gatwick at the railway station. You can get this from a machine, but it may be less stressful to get a staff member to help You can get a ticket covering you and both children that is valid Gatwick to London and all zones within London (which includes Heathrow) that is £39 (total) - you need to use the Thameslink train into London but from then on you can use any train or tube (but not Express)
Personally, I'd stay at Gatwick then travel over mid morning the next day. The Premier Inn by the north terminal is a decent option.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:18 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
At that time of night an Uber to Heathrow will take under an hour and will cost around £100. If that’s within budget then I would strongly suggest it. Public transport at that time (although perfectly safe) will be not be fun.

If going for a car, be wary about booking a random service on the internet as they can be very variable. Use Uber or Addison Lee

Last edited by jmd; Mar 8, 2024 at 4:30 am
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
The trains from Gatwick run all night, but after about 2330 there can be some big gaps in service of up to one hour. Trains do not run to Heathrow all night, they stop between about midnight and about 4am, and the Tube operates to similar times unless it's a Friday or Saturday night and Night Tube is running.

A poster further up suggests the area around Farringdon, but that station is also closed between about 0030 and about 0430.

I would stay at Gatwick. If you don't fancy Gatwick, I have stayed at the Premier Inn next to East Croydon station many times, it's good enough for what it is and it is priced competitively compared to central London. But you still have the risk of a long wait at Gatwick if you just miss a train.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Stay overnight at Gatwick and get the train on to Heathrow in the morning.

1 adult and 2 children would pay £21.70 on paper tickets using the Thameslink Cheap Kids Fares offer with an off-peak day Travelcard, route Not Gatwick Express, from Gatwick Airport to London Zones 1-6. First train you can get is 09:16 which gives you plenty of time, and that ticket is good all the way to Heathrow on Elizabeth or Piccadilly lines.

It's advisable to buy this online on the Thameslink website. You will need to collect paper tickets from a ticket machine there, this cannot be issued as an e-ticket.
NickB likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
the picadilly line does run 24/7 but is infrequent and does not go to farringdon.
The Piccadilly Line does not run 24/7. The all-night night tube only operates on Fri and Sat nights. On other nights, the line shut down from central London to Heathrow around 12:15/12:30am and starts again around 5:30/5:45 am .
stifle likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
If you do stay at Gatwick, then look at using the airline coach from LGW to LHR the next morning, booked in advance it's £45 for up to 4 people, and will be just about the same elapsed duration as a taxi, depending on which terminals you use.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There really isn't a right and wrong answer to this just different options but IMHO I'd stay at LGW over night rather than go to LHR.

You would (and possibly more importantly your kids) be in bed at least an hour sooner than if you made your way to LHR

BTW that price from Farringdon to LHR is for the Elizabeth (more informally Lizzie) Line whiich is a train service

The actual tube would be £5.60 per adult if using a contactless card and cheaper for the kids but adds an extra change of line into the mix plus is longer. But if you wanted to use the tube then I'd change at Blackfriars for the District line then later to the Picadilly.

According to the timetable the last Lizzie to LHR from Farringdon departs at 23.15. Which would be impossible for you to catch with a 10.30 arrival at LGW.

There is also a large gap in the National Express coach.picking a random date there is a coach at 23.30 and the next is 03.35. If you do use the coach (at whatever time) make sure you check the luggage sizes and amounts and book accordingly as paying for extra baggage on the day is more expensive than in advance)
scottishpoet likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is also a large gap in the National Express coach.picking a random date there is a coach at 23.30 and the next is 03.35. If you do use the coach (at whatever time) make sure you check the luggage sizes and amounts and book accordingly as paying for extra baggage on the day is more expensive than in advance)
The Oxford Airline coach overnight has departures from Gatwick towards Heathrow at 2255, 0055, 0255, 0455, then hourly from 0655
https://www.theairlineoxford.co.uk/w...table-V6-1.pdf

They're also much more relaxed about luggage than National Express are!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm intrigued what date you are looking at, as £350 for an LHR sounds off the scale expensive. As to which option makes sense, it really does come down to personal preference. I'd rather press on to LHR and then have a lie in the following morning, but I don't own any children and have no idea how yours respond to late nights.

As for safety - nothing to worry about at all in London. This isn't St Louis!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by NickCR

Any suggestions about keeping the cost of the hotel near LHR lower than 350 GBP? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Nick
as I said earlier in the trhead, no idea what hotels you are looking at or dates but i have never paid 350 gbp for a room. Just one option of the main hotels on the bath road..... Premier inn lhr t5 , family room, at a random date in April, 77gbp
Attached Images  
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:04 am

You didn't specify a date? On one of the weekends in April (exact date not confirmed yet) the M25 (the road you use between LGW and LHR) will be closed for the weekend. This will make road transfer that weekend a truly dreadful option. Not an issue if you are arriving mid week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.