Wiki Posts
Search

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hi All,

I'm taking my first trip to the UK since the pandemic in a couple of weeks, and after reviewing the list of providers on the UK government website, I'm still not sure what's the best option for my situation. Hoping someone with some experience can advise.

I arrive on Monday, Nov 15, at 8:30am from Canada. I'm fully vaccinated and do not need to quarantine, but will require the Day 2 test. I depart back for Canada on Saturday, Nov 20, at 11:10am. While this may change, Canada currently requires a PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure, so earliest would be after 11:10am on Wednesday, Nov 17.

1) Is my understanding correct that "Day 2" in this case would be Wednesday, Nov 17, and I could take the Day 2 test anytime before 11:59pm on Nov 17?
2) If #1 is correct, if I take a PCR test marketed as a Fit-to-Fly test by a provider, will I be able to use the same test as my Day 2 test? For example, I see Eurofins offers both Day 2 and Fit-to-Fly PCR tests, but they're priced differently, if I take the more expensive Fit-to-Fly test, will it meet both requirements? If not, are there other providers who do?

Many thanks!
The answer is yes to your first question. The problem with your second is that you need a code for your Passenger Locator Form which only a day 2 test booking will give. What I would do is book the fit to fly wherever is convenient for you and then book the cheapest day 2 postal test you can find. That is currently less than £12. If your plans do not change and you take the PCR test on the 17th, then don't take the cheap day 2 test and keep it for next time. That is not strictly speaking correct as you are supposed to take the day 2, but a PCR is far better than the rapid test.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
2) If #1 is correct, if I take a PCR test marketed as a Fit-to-Fly test by a provider, will I be able to use the same test as my Day 2 test? For example, I see Eurofins offers both Day 2 and Fit-to-Fly PCR tests, but they're priced differently, if I take the more expensive Fit-to-Fly test, will it meet both requirements? If not, are there other providers who do?
In your shoes I would simply book a PCR Day2 test, rather than Lateral Flow, and take it late on the Wednesday. The day2 PCR print-out is perfectly usable as a fit to fly certificate, there is nothing magical about that certification, it has the same information on it, and I have used Eurofins to do this. My only hesitation about using a Day2 PCR from Eurofins is that while I had no problem (the result was slightly late), in the early days Eurofins got a lot of negative reports for being slow to give results. I've not seen that mentioned more recently, but overall the reviews for Randox PCR (£43 with airline discount) was that it was more reliable than Eurofins. Randox's test results for me came back faster than Eurofins. Nationwide Pathology has also had good reviews on the whole too.
HB7 and DaveS like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:36 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In your shoes I would simply book a PCR Day2 test, rather than Lateral Flow, and take it late on the Wednesday. The day2 PCR print-out is perfectly usable as a fit to fly certificate, there is nothing magical about that certification, it has the same information on it, and I have used Eurofins to do this. My only hesitation about using a Day2 PCR from Eurofins is that while I had no problem (the result was slightly late), in the early days Eurofins got a lot of negative reports for being slow to give results. I've not seen that mentioned more recently, but overall the reviews for Randox PCR (£43 with airline discount) was that it was more reliable than Eurofins. Randox's test results for me came back faster than Eurofins. Nationwide Pathology has also had good reviews on the whole too.
Thank you very much! I took at look at Randox and Nationwide Pathology but they don't seem to offer PCR that is suitable as a Day 2 test anymore. I'm I looking in the wrong place?

Unless you direct me to a better place, I think I'll just chance it with the Eurofins Day 2 PCR test, especially given your success using it in the past.

Originally Posted by DaveS
The answer is yes to your first question. The problem with your second is that you need a code for your Passenger Locator Form which only a day 2 test booking will give. What I would do is book the fit to fly wherever is convenient for you and then book the cheapest day 2 postal test you can find. That is currently less than £12. If your plans do not change and you take the PCR test on the 17th, then don't take the cheap day 2 test and keep it for next time. That is not strictly speaking correct as you are supposed to take the day 2, but a PCR is far better than the rapid test.
Thank you! But I think the above strategy (using the Day 2 PCR test as the Fit-to-Fly test rather than vice versa) might work.
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:37 am

Please Delete

Last edited by capedreamer; Nov 6, 2021 at 6:37 am Reason: Error
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:07 am

Thank you very much! I took at look at Randox and Nationwide Pathology but they don't seem to offer PCR that is suitable as a Day 2 test anymore. I'm I looking in the wrong place?

Unless you direct me to a better place, I think I'll just chance it with the Eurofins Day 2 PCR test, especially given your success using it in the past.

Thank you! But I think the above strategy (using the Day 2 PCR test as the Fit-to-Fly test rather than vice versa) might work.
Yes it will so long as you do not change your departure date. Randox still offer day 2 PCR for £43. Eurofins may well be better though.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:16 am

Yes it will so long as you do not change your departure date. Randox still offer day 2 PCR for £43. Eurofins may well be better though.
Ah ok. Yeah, I don't plan on changing my departure date.

So is this the Randox Day 2 PCR test you and corporate-wage-slave are referring to? Once I click "Book Day 2" for one of those locations (say Kensington High Street), it leads me here, with "Arriving into the UK" and "Day 2 Test" pre-selected for £55. Is this the PCR test?

And I understand there is a BA discount code I can use to get it down to £43, but am I eligible to use it if I'm not flying BA?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:27 am

Ah ok. Yeah, I don't plan on changing my departure date.

So is this the Randox Day 2 PCR test you and corporate-wage-slave are referring to? Once I click "Book Day 2" for one of those locations (say Kensington High Street), it leads me here, with "Arriving into the UK" and "Day 2 Test" pre-selected for £55. Is this the PCR test?

And I understand there is a BA discount code I can use to get it down to £43, but am I eligible to use it if I'm not flying BA?
The £43 deal was for the at home test kits. I do not know if the discount works for the in clinic version. Anyone can use the code and there are others from other airlines. UKTK is another code to try.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:29 am

The £43 deal was for the at home test kits. I do not know if the discount works for the in clinic version. Anyone can use the code and there are others from other airlines. UKTK is another code to try.
Got it. Thank you!

Had another question DaveS and corporate-wage-slave: While filling out the booking form for Randox, it's asking me for "Last date departed from or transited through a non-exempt country or territory". What does "non-exempt" in this case refer to? Is Canada a "non-exempt" country?

Last edited by capedreamer; Nov 6, 2021 at 7:55 am
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Got it. Thank you!

Had another question DaveS and corporate-wage-slave: While filling out the booking form for Randox, it's asking me for "Last date departed from or transited through a non-exempt country or territory". What does "non-exempt" in this case refer to? Is Canada a "non-exempt" country?
I can't remember that question being asked so I'm wondering if you are in the right place. Now admittedly I have collected my most recent boxes (they are available for collection at a lot of places, including shopping malls and shops like the Co-op) which in turn gives me a clue: the question must therefore relate to when to deliver the kit, so that in turn means when did you travel from a country subject to the vaccination + day2 test, as opposed to those places (Ireland and various rocks which fly the Union flag) which are not subject to all the controls. If collecting then this is irrelevant, if posted then then Randox need to ensure the box arrives in time. In other words for you it's the date you left Canada. Consider the box collection idea, it may be easier, depending on where you are staying in the UK, and it saves a bit of money.

There is another possibility, which is now redundant: in the early days some countries were put on a green list and they were also called exempt countries - exempt from needing to self isolate at that point, so everywhere else was non-exempt. Now that nowhere is Red this question is irrelevant, so I would try to leave this blank, but if it demands a date put the Canada departure date.
capedreamer and DaveS like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 6, 2021 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:47 am

Got it. Thank you!

The PLF does have a history of not being quite right. Just do your best with it and if you don't answer a question correctly it will not be a problem. Only blatant lies are a problem.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't remember that question being asked so I'm wondering if you are in the right place. Now admittedly I have collected my most recent boxes (they are available for collection at a lot of places, including shopping malls and shops like the Co-op) which in turn gives me a clue: the question must therefore relate to when to deliver the kit, so that in turn means when did you travel from a country subject to the vaccination + day2 test, as opposed to those places (Ireland and various rocks which fly the Union flag) which are not subject to all the controls. If collecting then this is irrelevant, if posted then then Randox need to ensure the box arrives in time. In other words for you it's the date you left Canada. Consider the box collection idea, it may be easier, depending on where you are staying in the UK, and it saves a bit of money.

There is another possibility, which is now redundant: in the early days some countries were put on a green list and they were also called exempt countries - exempt from needing to self isolate at that point, so everywhere else was non-exempt. Now that nowhere is Red this question is irrelevant, so I would try to leave this blank, but if it demands a date put the Canada departure date.
The PLF does have a history of not being quite right. Just do your best with it and if you don't answer a question correctly it will not be a problem. Only blatant lies are a problem.
Thanks to both of you again!

It sounds like most people prefer the mailed option, but I was actually thinking of doing the on-site testing (with either Eurofins or Randox because I assumed it might lead to a faster result. Is that not the case?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:11 pm

Thanks to both of you again!

It sounds like most people prefer the mailed option, but I was actually thinking of doing the on-site testing (with either Eurofins or Randox because I assumed it might lead to a faster result. Is that not the case?
Yes, it can give a faster result where that is necessary and it is most likely the best thing to do in your case. Depending on where you are you could also look at ExpressTest. For just a day 2 test where the timing is not important then the postal tests are certainly preferred because of cost and convenience.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
Where is Collinson now? Is it walking distance from T5?
They are here It's not walkable, but should be easy with buses from T5 or Central Bus station.
HB7 and capedreamer like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:21 pm

Yes, it can give a faster result where that is necessary and it is most likely the best thing to do in your case. Depending on where you are you could also look at ExpressTest. For just a day 2 test where the timing is not important then the postal tests are certainly preferred because of cost and convenience.
Yeah there is a Eurofins testing site pretty close to the hotel I'm staying at in Maida Vale, so I think I might just go for that. Thanks again!
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Miles & Smiles Elite
Assuming your country is on the list where the vaccination program is approved (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countrie...of-vaccination) then you have many options. You could use one of the operators at the airport such as Collinson or ExpressTest or you could use a cheaper postal test which could be delivered to your hotel before you arrive. Again, assuming you meet the vaccination criteria, then you are free from when you arrive. You do not need to wait for the result. You need to take the test before the end of day 2, with the arrival day being day 0.
ُThank you so much! I was under the impression that I had to quarantine until my results come out but I guess that's not the case. I am a bit meticulous when I travel so I guess I am gonna take a covid test before travel just to make sure all is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.