Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:56 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread here that acts as a reference point for covid testing providers in the UK. This thread is aimed at those located in London and covers all testing requirements for the UK including PCR and rapid test providers. The main aim is for people to come here and be able to find decent options for covid tests that are cheap and reliable. If anyone wants to share their good or bad experiences, reviews or discount codes, I think it would help thousands of us.

MODS - please delete this thread if in the wrong location or there is something similar already. I've noticed a similar thread for BA flyers, but nothing covering general travellers based in London.
john11111111111 and :D! like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread here that acts as a reference point for covid testing providers in the UK. This thread is aimed at those located in London and covers all testing requirements for the UK including PCR and rapid test providers. The main aim is for people to come here and be able to find decent options for covid tests that are cheap and reliable. If anyone wants to share their good or bad experiences, reviews or discount codes, I think it would help thousands of us.

MODS - please delete this thread if in the wrong location or there is something similar already. I've noticed a similar thread for BA flyers, but nothing covering general travellers based in London.
Good idea.
I use Chronomics for pre departure towards UK (10 GBP with BA code, 30 GBP without).
I use Expert Medicals for the Day 2 test by post at 35 GBP. (this includes postage back to the site unlike Randox where you have to physically go and find somewhere and even then its more expensive at 43 GBP).

I've used Chronomics 3 times now, so will continue to use them as long as this is a requirement to do so by UK govt, and Expert Medicals I am fine with them. If I find cheaper I will change provider, if I don't I will stay with Expert Medicals for as long as this process continues.
HB7 and DaveS like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:06 am
HB7
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Good idea.
I use Chronomics for pre departure towards UK (10 GBP with BA code, 30 GBP without).
I use Expert Medicals for the Day 2 test by post at 35 GBP. (this includes postage back to the site unlike Randox where you have to physically go and find somewhere and even then its more expensive at 43 GBP).
I haven't heard of Expert Medicals - is it easy and is there stock for Day 2? I've been using Randox till now, but I'd much rather get a cheaper option of course!

EDIT: I've heard a lot of people say Expert Medicals show out of stock after you've given all your details?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by HB7
I haven't heard of Expert Medicals - is it easy and is there stock for Day 2? I've been using Randox till now, but I'd much rather get a cheaper option of course!

EDIT: I've heard a lot of people say Expert Medicals show out of stock after you've given all your details?
https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/co...ons/navigation

Well I just used them last week and did the sample to post it yesterday, so I don't know about today but it was certainly in stock when I did it.
It says 28 GBP but + 7 postage so it's in reality 35 GBP.

It's essentially the same process as Randox which I used twice previously, but actually easier as you can drop it in any Royal Mail post box, not some random Randox drop box or one of their logistics providers.
HB7 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:51 am
HB7
Original Poster

https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/co...ons/navigation

Well I just used them last week and did the sample to post it yesterday, so I don't know about today but it was certainly in stock when I did it.
It says 28 GBP but + 7 postage so it's in reality 35 GBP.

It's essentially the same process as Randox which I used twice previously, but actually easier as you can drop it in any Royal Mail post box, not some random Randox drop box or one of their logistics providers.
Oh nice - that's awesome. I'll give it a try!
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:35 pm

Good idea.
I believe it's £22.40 now. No more discount code, have to enter BA PNR. Very disappointing, I should have ordered more kits when they were £10
​​​​​
Originally Posted by HB7
I've used both Chronomics and Expert Medicals https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33467606-post242.html. OK option if you're looking for a cheap test and are not bothered by timing.
HB7 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyslow
I believe it's £22.40 now. No more discount code, have to enter BA PNR. Very disappointing, I should have ordered more kits when they were £10
​​​​​

I've used both Chronomics and Expert Medicals https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33467606-post242.html. OK option if you're looking for a cheap test and are not bothered by timing.
Yeah the good thing is I am not worried when I receive my day 2 test, if it's late it's not my problem it's the supplier's problem. So for day 2 the absolute cheapest that gets to my house with a bookable reference number for the PLF is fine by me.
The pre departure is more important timing wise, so if its not last minute just order a few days before, Chronomics have always sent my tests out to be received within 48 hours on working day.s
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:10 pm
HB7
Original Poster

Yeah the good thing is I am not worried when I receive my day 2 test, if it's late it's not my problem it's the supplier's problem. So for day 2 the absolute cheapest that gets to my house with a bookable reference number for the PLF is fine by me.
The pre departure is more important timing wise, so if its not last minute just order a few days before, Chronomics have always sent my tests out to be received within 48 hours on working day.s
Yeh I'm in the exact same boat. Important for the pre-departure but don't care when I get the day 2 result.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:34 pm

The expresstest website seems to be down, it's throwing an Error 403.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:37 am

On the topic of Expresstest, here’s my quick review of their PCR test to fly. Price is £55 or thereabouts, results advertised on the website within 10 hours (with an *).

My booking was for departures at 7AM. I got there and promptly was told to go downstairs at arrivals as they were full. I did what I was told, together with a few more; downstairs they have taken up the space from Collinson, who obviously has moved because they couldn’t or wouldn’t pay HAL more.

It all gave me an idea of confusion. There was a manager running around like a headless chicken, only two people doing the triaging, a fairly hurried setup (compared with Collinson) and a generic feeling of make-it-up-as-you-go-along. I was third in line and out quickly but the queue was massive when I left. I think they are making an absolute killing on this stuff.

Anyway, the test itself was done with a throad and single nasal swab and I think it was done pretty superficially. Test results by “tomorrow 10PM” which sounds more like 36h turnaround rather than 10. I still have a voucher to use with them
but I’ll shop around for something else next time. Doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Swanhunter, HB7 and DaveS like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar to my Day 2 on arrival experience with ExpressTesr. Hearing the manager announce a bit too loudly “they’d f**led up a lateral flow” resulting in someone missing their flight didn’t inspire confidence. Messing up an LFD really requires some effort...

results arrived at 21:51 the following day so not fast either.

Will just book the very cheapest home test in future. They were also being really picky about time slots too so if your flight was late or early they seemed highly inflexible.
HB7, ahmetdouas and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Used Qured for the pre-departure to home test. Far from the cheapest, and the appointment booking process was a bit cranky but otherwise was really impressed with them. Results back in a nice certificate within 20mins of emailing a snap of the completed test. Would happily use again for the peace of mind.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Used Qured for the pre-departure to home test. Far from the cheapest, and the appointment booking process was a bit cranky but otherwise was really impressed with them. Results back in a nice certificate within 20mins of emailing a snap of the completed test. Would happily use again for the peace of mind.
In my case Qured took about 3 hours to send me a verification... So far my best experience overall has been with Collinson. Sadly they got pushed out to the sticks and the carpetbaggers have come in...
remaxmac likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It's a bit of a shame that Collinson is not at T5 anymore. It was rather good organized and my results always came after about 12 hours.

Only once a PCR test failed but received a proactive call 12 hours after test and they've booked me another test which I could do 2 hours later at no cost.

Given that I think I'll stick with them for my pre-departure test and just go to LCY or St Pancras (coming from Richmond traveling to LCY takes as long as going to T5 if using public transport, believe it or not )
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:23 am
HB7
Original Poster

I just want to add my thoughts on using Qured rapid tests for my pre-departure test back to the UK.

They cost 39 GBP, however, you can get them for 33 GBP with BA discount code - I don't think you need to fly BA to use this.

I've used them 3 times so far, and generally it has been pretty good. The test itself and video chat takes about 10-15 mins max, and then you email them a photo of the result and I've always gotten a certificate back within an hour.

The issues people need to just take into consideration are the following:

- Order at least 5 days before you travel, it can take 3 - 4 working days for the test kit to get to you
- Allow your self an extra 20 - 30 mins "wait time", sometimes there is a delay when waiting for an advisor to do the video call
- Booking a slot: Try and book one soon, even if it is not your most preferred time slot, but keep checking back. I've often seen new slots open up on a daily basis.

For an antigen test, I still think 33 GBP is a little expensive and will look for other options, but this is a service that seems to work well and I've had no issues with the certificate before boarding a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.