Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by HB7
I just want to add my thoughts on using Qured rapid tests for my pre-departure test back to the UK.

They cost 39 GBP, however, you can get them for 33 GBP with BA discount code - I don't think you need to fly BA to use this.

I've used them 3 times so far, and generally it has been pretty good. The test itself and video chat takes about 10-15 mins max, and then you email them a photo of the result and I've always gotten a certificate back within an hour.

The issues people need to just take into consideration are the following:

- Order at least 5 days before you travel, it can take 3 - 4 working days for the test kit to get to you
- Allow your self an extra 20 - 30 mins "wait time", sometimes there is a delay when waiting for an advisor to do the video call
- Booking a slot: Try and book one soon, even if it is not your most preferred time slot, but keep checking back. I've often seen new slots open up on a daily basis.

For an antigen test, I still think 33 GBP is a little expensive and will look for other options, but this is a service that seems to work well and I've had no issues with the certificate before boarding a flight.
It also depends where I fly, for example Switzerland has crazy expensive testing but in GR in ATH airport its 20 EUR and very easy so I'd just do that. In JMK it's harder so again home test.

But my default is Chronomics.
HB7 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:18 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
It also depends where I fly, for example Switzerland has crazy expensive testing but in GR in ATH airport its 20 EUR and very easy so I'd just do that. In JMK it's harder so again home test.

But my default is Chronomics.
I'm actually planning to go to GVA soon, and I saw on the GVA website that they do free antigen/rapid tests? Is this correct by any chance?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Used Qured for the pre-departure to home test. Far from the cheapest, and the appointment booking process was a bit cranky but otherwise was really impressed with them. Results back in a nice certificate within 20mins of emailing a snap of the completed test. Would happily use again for the peace of mind.
Are there actually any that are cheaper? I assume Chromonics only?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:50 pm

OK, I've been dissing Expresstest but they actually delivered. I got my test results back (PCR) today, about 11h after the tests.
VickiSoCal likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:41 pm
HB7
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Are there actually any that are cheaper? I assume Chromonics only?
It seems like that is the cheapest at the moment, which is really puzzling, considering these tests are given out for free by the UK gov. They really should be no more than a tenner or 15 quid.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
It seems like that is the cheapest at the moment, which is really puzzling, considering these tests are given out for free by the UK gov. They really should be no more than a tenner or 15 quid.
One of my local "providers" (they are not on Gov list for day 2/5/8) is offering LFDs for £70 with results in 24h So could be worse lol. Don't know if anyone is using them and if someone is then why....
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:49 pm
HB7
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyslow
One of my local "providers" (they are not on Gov list for day 2/5/8) is offering LFDs for £70 with results in 24h So could be worse lol. Don't know if anyone is using them and if someone is then why....
Wow.....that is really shocking...
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:51 am

Finally booked a flight back to the UK from Germany and need to prebook a Day 2 test. Trying to identify a reliable, but not expensive, home test (flying into NCL).

Slight digression: my first impression is wow, this is a needlessly complicated mess. 430 different providers, "prices from" that don't match the actual prices. I can understand the need to draft in private providers for capacity, but does HMG serious expect the vasty most people to (quoting the website) "Do your own research (for example, read reviews) about available providers, the tests they supply and their terms and conditions" with this number of possibilities? It seems ripe for confusion, buck-passing, and profiteering.

Would it be so hard to have mandated a specific set of requirements for each kind fo required test, and invited tenders that match them for a specified price? And (wishful thinking) perhaps even built a centralised ordering website on Gov.UK to avoid confusion and wasted time?

Anyhow, back to topic:

I would appreciate the consensus on what is the best option for travelling in just over a week - I've seen Expert Medicals up-thread, and I remember corporate-wage-slave suggesting a different provider for cheap day 2 at home tests a week or two ago. But these things seem to change rapidly, and with the proliferation of different information across multiple threads I've completely lost track of where we are.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Finally booked a flight back to the UK from Germany and need to prebook a Day 2 test. Trying to identify a reliable, but not expensive, home test (flying into NCL)....I would appreciate the consensus on what is the best option for travelling in just over a week
Myself / my family still tend to use Randox: https://covid.randox.com/day-2/. It should be £43 with a discount code - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here(?) but google BA and randox and it should come up! Delivery for the kit does take about a week (4-6 working days), but it sounds like you have that and also I believe the downside if it comes additionally late due to supplier error is normally quite limited when coming from a green country (or amber if double jabbed).

One big caveat however is that you have to return the test using the Randox drop boxes (unless you want to pay extra to the royal mail etc). So I suggest checking if there is one in a somewhat sensible location for you, before ordering: https://covid.randox.com/kit-return/

A smaller caveat is that their reputation for customer service is not great. So don't expect too much help if things go wrong, and definitely don't expect e.g. a refund if your travel plans change!
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:53 am

Thank you fc0175 - I appreciate the suggestion and the details you've provided. I am flying Lufthansa, so I don't know if that makes me ineligible for the discount (I did see something somewhere about one of the suppliers now requiring a BA PNR to use the discount). There are a couple of drop boxes that would be reasonably convenient so that is not too much of a concern.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Thank you fc0175 - I appreciate the suggestion and the details you've provided. I am flying Lufthansa, so I don't know if that makes me ineligible for the discount (I did see something somewhere about one of the suppliers now requiring a BA PNR to use the discount). There are a couple of drop boxes that would be reasonably convenient so that is not too much of a concern.
I've not actually seen any T&Cs for the discount code, so I don't know the formal position. But as a data point I've not had a problem using the code shown on the BA website for my / my family's bookings even when flying on different airlines. Latest testing of this is that a Day 8 test sent in on Tuesday (bought with the discount code) was processed fine, and also a booking made yesterday went through smoothly. I believe the report on this forum about needing the BA PNR was for the Chronomics entering the UK test, but stand ready to be corrected given (like you say!) there is a lot of movement in this area!

If it makes you more comfortable, it looks like the Randox website lists some discount codes for different airlines here: https://www.randoxhealth.com/coupons . Maybe there is an argument for using the Turkish airlines code given they are in the same alliance as Lufthansa?
squawk likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
These companies (not specifically referring to any company) are creaming off massive profits with substandard levels of customer service, in an industry set up in mere months, with many fly-by-night companies with websites that'd barely pass a GCSE IT coursework project.

We're not talking about promo codes that defund a charity or the NHS here. Get it for the lowest price you can by any means and wait for this nonsense to be over. Or even better put this after travel testing into the hands of the NHS as a private, paid for service and keep it all in house.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:29 am

These companies (not specifically referring to any company) are creaming off massive profits with substandard levels of customer service, in an industry set up in mere months, with many fly-by-night companies with websites that'd barely pass a GCSE IT coursework project.
Agreed.

We're not talking about promo codes that defund a charity or the NHS here. Get it for the lowest price you can by any means and wait for this nonsense to be over.
Oh, I absolutely have no problem with that. My query upthread was purely that I wasn't sure if I would be asked to provide evidence of a BA booking/PNR which obviously I couldn't do.

Or even better put this after travel testing into the hands of the NHS as a private, paid for service and keep it all in house.
Agreed - though I understand that there may not be the capacity within the NHS itself, it does already buy in services from private providers and charge for certain things so I think this ought to be feasible.
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
so similar to Squawk above can someone please recommend who i should buy my tests from. I need to order them today. Thank you
Old Aug 13, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
MSE have helpfully compared prices:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tr...l/#arrivalstwo
Schwann likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.