FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Local lockdowns in the UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2025295-local-lockdowns-uk.html)

USA_flyer Dec 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 33847897)
My sister felt ill last Monday; had a positive LFD Tuesday and her boyfriend took LFD every day, not testing positive until Christmas Eve. He’s been feeling a bit rough. Caveat Delta. I think they probably have Delta since her taste is buggered. Caveat everyone is different. I can’t get LFD test kits here in Old Trafford - there’s a shortage so I wear FFP2 while the FFP3 is on order. If you are in a similar position then perhaps every two to three days according to your means? It’s not perfect. It never was and probably never will be.

I’ll post an account of three Christmases ruined (thankfully not mine) when I get a minute. I’m guessing we’ll all know someone with a ruined Christmas or New Year by next week.

I am fine, it's the mother in law who feels rough. I have 6 LFT tests left and need 1 for myself on Friday as I'm travelling home on the Sat/Sun. I plan to pre-test test so I don't waste a paid for test and then have to find a place that can issue a fit to fly cert in san diego if I'm positive.

I hope things get better your end soon!

bluemoon68 Dec 27, 2021 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 33847750)
Hi - quick q - brother in law tested positive today, spent time with him last night. I have a limited number of lateral flow tests, when would I best use one to see if I am positive please? Last contact was 20 hours ago.

Locally it seems to be a positive LFT on the third day since contact.

incidentally there seems to be availability to order boxes of LFTs for delivery in the mornings. Will take a couple of days to arrive, but better than trying to find a pharmacy with stock.

DaveS Dec 28, 2021 12:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33847397)
A couple of pointers from the data over Christmas Day, when the Nightingale Labs processed more PCRs than on a working day.

As of 22 December as specimen date, just over 90% of UK infections are now Omicron, with 95% in London. Which means that Delta is now pretty much wiped out in London and Scotland as of today, and the rest of UK will follow in the next few days. Wales and South West are the lower incident areas but at still around 85% Omicron.

Does everywhere have the capability to detect omicron now?

corporate-wage-slave Dec 28, 2021 12:55 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 33847750)
Hi - quick q - brother in law tested positive today, spent time with him last night. I have a limited number of lateral flow tests, when would I best use one to see if I am positive please? Last contact was 20 hours ago.

They are most accurate when you feel a bit "off". They can show positive from 24 hours after infection, but more likely to do so after 48 or 72 hours. So I would wait certainly 48 hours, maybe 72 hours. Lateral flow kits are coming back into chemists, but some other places may have them (e.g. your GP or local authority may be distributing them).

corporate-wage-slave Dec 28, 2021 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 33848487)
Does everywhere have the capability to detect omicron now?

No, not yet. The Nightingales can do so, but not all of the hospitals and private labs. But the above set of figures is based on a high number of samples from the places that do the S gene drop-out, so from about now there isn't any point worrying about this in London, they are all going to be Omicron. Rest of the UK will shortly follow (by NYE).

DaveS Dec 28, 2021 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 33847412)
Two lines on a graph somewhere are going to cross at some point.

This is the infection graph from South Africa where the fall is cases is becoming sustained. Their data really needs at least a 7 day average applied to it as reporting is a bit erratic from day to day. Aside from the apparent rapid fall in omicron, the good thing about their graph is how clear the waves are and how delta zonked beta in August.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...87da583606.png

nk15 Dec 28, 2021 1:48 am

CDC Updates and Shortens Recommended Isolation and Quarantine Period for General Population | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

QUOTED FROM THE SITE:

"If You Test Positive for COVID-19 (Isolate)

Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Stay home for 5 days.
  • If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
  • Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.

If You Were Exposed to Someone with COVID-19 (Quarantine)

If you:

Have been boosted
OR
Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months
OR
Completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months
  • Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
  • Test on day 5, if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.

If you:

Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 6 months ago and are not boosted
OR
Completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted
OR
Are unvaccinated
  • Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
  • If you can’t quarantine you must wear a mask for 10 days.
  • Test on day 5 if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home"

bluemoon68 Dec 28, 2021 1:57 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 33848547)
CDC Updates and Shortens Recommended Isolation and Quarantine Period for General Population | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

QUOTED FROM THE SITE:

"If You Test Positive for COVID-19 (Isolate)

Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Stay home for 5 days.
  • If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
  • Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.

If You Were Exposed to Someone with COVID-19 (Quarantine)

If you:

Have been boosted
OR
Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months
OR
Completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months
  • Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
  • Test on day 5, if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.

If you:

Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 6 months ago and are not boosted
OR
Completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted
OR
Are unvaccinated
  • Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
  • If you can’t quarantine you must wear a mask for 10 days.
  • Test on day 5 if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home"

nothing for the non-boosted who’ve recently recovered from covid?

flyslow Dec 28, 2021 4:31 am

Day8 and 9 LFTs finally negative, but looking out of the window I'll keep isolating until conditions improve outside. So probably another 4-6 months or so :D

:D! Dec 28, 2021 7:34 am

What does this have to do with the UK?

PxC Dec 28, 2021 7:39 am

I see the number on ventilators has been falling slowly and continues to do so

Modest increases in hospital numbers could well be people finding out they have it when they get there

And since huge numbers of healthcare workers will have immunity in the coming days as they return to work…

Some scientists are talking about the possibility of letting people positive with Covid live free from isolation, in the coming months

I’m failing to see how Omnicron isn’t really a good thing, in the overall picture. Will we be at the end soon? Drakeford and Sturgeon may well have jumped the gun with restrictions that may well only be powerful enough to dent the economy, rather than the spread.

Internaut Dec 28, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 33849012)

A great deal. We don't live in a bubble.

Internaut Dec 28, 2021 7:54 am

Originally Posted by PxC (Post 33849024)

Modest increases in hospital numbers could well be people finding out they have it when they get there

And since huge numbers of healthcare workers will have immunity in the coming days as they return to work…

Some scientists are talking about the possibility of letting people positive with Covid live free from isolation, in the coming months

I’m failing to see how Omnicron isn’t really a good thing, in the overall picture. Will we be at the end soon? Drakeford and Sturgeon may well have jumped the gun with restrictions that may well only be powerful enough to dent the economy, rather than the spread.

Also stated somewhere above (CWS, if I recall), people going into hospital and catching it there. I'd say Drakeford and Sturgeon may well end up with egg on their faces but let's not be too hard on them. It's not over yet.

DaveS Dec 28, 2021 8:16 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 33849012)

With the US heading towards 5 day isolation that could put pressure on the UK and other countries to reduce isolation period further. I think we need to get to the point where you isolate only until you get one or two negative rapid tests.

Originally Posted by PxC (Post 33849024)

One bit of data we are missing is how many of the people in mechanical ventilation beds are actually being ventilated. You can be in these beds without the need for that - that is what happened to the PM last year for example. It would be interesting to see how that figure has changed. Unfortunately it is not published anywhere that I know of.

Silver Fox Dec 28, 2021 8:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 33849115)
With the US heading towards 5 day isolation that could put pressure on the UK and other countries to reduce isolation period further. I think we need to get to the point where you isolate only until you get one or two negative rapid tests.

One bit of data we are missing is how many of the people in mechanical ventilation beds are actually being ventilated. You can be in these beds without the need for that - that is what happened to the PM last year for example. It would be interesting to see how that figure has changed. Unfortunately it is not published anywhere that I know of.

I'd really like it if it showed the figures for people in/people out of hospitals/ICU, The Irish app shows this and it's handy to get a better more granular feel. Not perfect, but a few more dimensions.