Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 13901
Disagree. There's correct pricing and fleecing of customers. In the UK the latter is abundant.

Also, we're not talking only about people going on holidays. There's people relocating, travelling to see/support families, travelling for work...
agree with the disagree here.

the incredibly small percentage being sequenced combined with lack of pricing controls makes the entire PCR regime ridiculous. pre-flight test, ok fine, but post arrival? as someone mentioned in a separate thread the PCR is being required so the govt can sequence but they are only doing a small percent so why are they not paying? post arrival lateral flow and off to NHS if you test positive. and the govt should fund that for residents again only if needed.
Silver Fox, :D! and 13901 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Disagree. There's correct pricing and fleecing of customers. In the UK the latter is abundant.

Also, we're not talking only about people going on holidays. There's people relocating, travelling to see/support families, travelling for work...
I didn't say that £65 for a PCR test and a lateral flow test was correct pricing (although I haven't a clue what correct pricing is - I do know it's not zero), but I simply said that £65 is affordable to nearly everyone, and most especially those who are travelling for reasons other than holiday. It's a tiny fraction of the cost of a business trip and small beer in the context of a family visit.

Maybe I'm unusual but my experience to date of test providers (three return trips) has been excellent in terms of service - delivery of kits and results - and, certainly since prices have more than halved, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Private provision of medical services and procedures is not free and it's a political decision which HMG has made that tests for travel should be paid for out of pocket rather than by fellow citizens. Of course I'd like it to be free, but then I'd like them to abolish APD (which is an awful lot more expensive for much travel, and which has zero benefit for the traveller), and I don't see the populist press going for that.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I didn't say that £65 for a PCR test and a lateral flow test was correct pricing (although I haven't a clue what correct pricing is - I do know it's not zero), but I simply said that £65 is affordable to nearly everyone, and most especially those who are travelling for reasons other than holiday. It's a tiny fraction of the cost of a business trip and small beer in the context of a family visit.
I don't know. £65 (which in my experience, once you factor the test before you fly and the day 2, is more like £75-80) times 4 people is £260. That's a lot of small beers, especially for people coming in from overseas. But perhaps this is part of the grand plan: don't let them foreigners in here.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Torygraph* is reporting green and amber might be scrapped in favour of a single rules based regime based on vaccine status.

* Probably paywalled - I was able to read through Apple News+.
I read it online (just disable javascript) and it appears to change very little.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ed-next-month/

Green and Amber are currently the same for vaccinated, and the plan is simply to have two lists. Red and Not Red. No change to the vaccinated but there might be a change to the unvaccinated in that all current G and A countries might require home isolation for them.

The article also says that the Day 2 PCR tests are likely to stay.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I read it online (just disable javascript) and it appears to change very little.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ed-next-month/

Green and Amber are currently the same for vaccinated, and the plan is simply to have two lists. Red and Not Red. No change to the vaccinated but there might be a change to the unvaccinated in that all current G and A countries might require home isolation for them.

The article also says that the Day 2 PCR tests are likely to stay.
The Day 2 PCR test, and the uncertainty is represents, is going to remain a sticking point for a lot of prospective travelers. I'm not sure if anything can be done about that - my own brush with COVID certainly underlines the responsibility that comes with carrying the infection (isolation ends in 33 hours and five minutes).
adrianlondon and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I'm down to 50 GBP for pre arrival + day 2 arrivals tax.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I'm down to 50 GBP for pre arrival + day 2 arrivals tax.
How are you doing that without Expert Medicals, which now appears dead / struck-off?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
How are you doing that without Expert Medicals, which now appears dead / struck-off?
still using them. who said they are dead/struck off? https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/co...ons/navigation still looks legit to me!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
The Day 2 PCR test, and the uncertainty is represents, is going to remain a sticking point for a lot of prospective travelers. I'm not sure if anything can be done about that - my own brush with COVID certainly underlines the responsibility that comes with carrying the infection (isolation ends in 33 hours and five minutes).
Out of curiosity, are you still lateral flow positive?

The problem with the Day 2 test seems to be that it hoovers up a significant number of historical Covid infections - for example, if your Covid was asymptomatic you might have been stung with 10-day isolation after returning from a late September trip, essentially in isolation in October for an infection contracted in August.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
still using them. who said they are dead/struck off? https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/co...ons/navigation still looks legit to me!
Not being on the list does not mean they cannot offer the service, so long as they meet the minimum standards laid down by the government.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
Not being on the list does not mean they cannot offer the service, so long as they meet the minimum standards laid down by the government.

perfect. All i need is a legit PLF code and proof of having ‘bought’ it. Other than that the cheaper the better
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:02 am

The BBC are now reporting the Telegraph story mentioned earlier with a bit more information:
The government is planning to overhaul the travel traffic light system, with changes set to be announced in weeks.

Green and amber categories could be removed and replaced with a new system, the BBC has been told.

A new system would allow vaccinated travellers to go to countries with similarly high levels of vaccination as the UK without the need for quarantine.

Sources say the red category, which is for countries which the government says should not be visited, will remain.

Under current restrictions, red countries should not be visited "except in the most extreme of circumstances" and travellers returning from them must self-isolate for 10 days in a government-approved hotel.

The government declined to comment on the plans but said: "Our international travel policy is guided by one overwhelming priority - protecting public health.

"The next formal checkpoint review will take place by 1 October 2021." The third government review of international travel is due by 1 October, but sources say changes could come as soon as next week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58491245
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:19 am

I tried to buy one for my recent trip but the website wouldn't process the form. A few posts here have said the same thing over the last few days.

I ended up with Randox, but I'll keep trying EM for my next trip.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:20 am

Daily data:

Cases 38,975 (35,693 last Wednesday)
Deaths 191 (207)
Patients admitted 933 (848 on the 28th)
Patients in hospital 7,907 (7,629 on the 31st)
Patients in ventilation beds 1,047 (1,014 on the 31st)
People vaccinated up to and including 7 September2021:
First dose: 48,319,435
Second dose: 43,620,946

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 15.3% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 26.1%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 133.1 today.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:29 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveS
The BBC are now reporting the Telegraph story mentioned earlier with a bit more information:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58491245
Would it be safe to assume I’ll be ok to travel to travel LHR-MEX in 3 weeks for leisure purposes? Coming back from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.