Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
"interesting" vaccine question, in case anyone here knows the answer... Was on a zoom call with a friend earlier, who has a few health conditions and is stuck home shielding. Her GP surgery offered her a vaccine, then changed their mind and said she couldn't have it, as they're only doing the Pfizer one, and due to a history of allergic reactions, she is supposed to have the Oxford/AZ one instead. That was apparently a couple of weeks ago, and her GP hasn't managed to figure out a way to get her an Oxford/AZ appointment elsewhere...

Other than another fruitless call with the receptionists at her GP surgery, is there something she can do to get one booked in herself? Any way of booking a vaccination slot online, somewhere she can be sure will be AZ not Pfizer, where the online system will both know that and know she's supposed to have one now? (She's too young to get it by age yet!)
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
BBC: NHS Test and Trace 'no clear impact' despite £37bn budget

The impact of NHS Test and Trace is still unclear - despite the UK government setting aside £37bn for it over two years, MPs are warning.
The Public Accounts Committee said it was set up on the basis it would help prevent future lockdowns - but since its creation there had been two more.
It said the spending was "unimaginable" and warned the taxpayer could not be treated like an "ATM machine".But the MPs' report questioned:
  • An over-reliance on consultants with some paid more than £6,600 a day
  • Contact tracers only having enough work to fill half their time even when cases were rising
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

To the surprise of nobody...

My sisters ex was made redundant, so took up a position as a contact tracer. He spent weeks doing bugger all until he was told his services were no longer required.
wrp96 and DaveS like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
So UK test positivity is 0.4%. So not so prevalent then!
Yep, we're heading in the right direction and, as long as the reopening of schools doesn't result in a spike in infections in the next few weeks, the government should be able to keep to its published timetable for lifting the lockdown.

Personally, I want a haircut more than I do a holiday.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Another Vaccination data point - had 1st jab AZ last Thursday felt fine for the rest of the day. Woke up Friday feeling 'flushed' with skin tingling, rather like the sensation you get when you've been for a long run in the cold and first step back into a warm home.

This lasted for the day along with a certain 'woolly-headedness' and loss of concentration, but wasn't so bad as to warrant taking e.g. paracetamol, and symptoms were gone when I awoke on Saturday.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:00 am

Money well spent?

Covid-19: NHS Test and Trace 'no clear impact' despite £37bn budget

The impact of NHS Test and Trace is still unclear - despite the UK government setting aside £37bn for it over two years, MPs are warning.

The Public Accounts Committee said it was set up on the basis it would help prevent future lockdowns - but since its creation there had been two more.

It said the spending was "unimaginable" and warned the taxpayer could not be treated like an "ATM machine".

But the government said the system was helping to reduce infection rates.

Baroness Dido Harding, head of the National Institute for Health Protection, which runs the system, pointed out it had been built from scratch and was now doing more tests than any other comparable country.

She said performance had been improving with more people who tested positive being reached and more of their close contacts being asked to isolate.

[...]

But the MPs' report questioned:
  • An over-reliance on consultants with some paid more than £6,600 a day
  • A failure to be ready for the surge in demand for tests seen last September
  • Never meeting its target to turn around tests done face-to-face within 24 hours
  • Contact tracers only having enough work to fill half their time even when cases were rising
  • A splurge on rapid tests with no clear evidence they will help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56340831
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 13901
To put this in perspective, by my calculation the 1% pay rise offered to nurses will cost less than £250 million.
LETTERBOY and 13901 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
"interesting" vaccine question, in case anyone here knows the answer... Was on a zoom call with a friend earlier, who has a few health conditions and is stuck home shielding. Her GP surgery offered her a vaccine, then changed their mind and said she couldn't have it, as they're only doing the Pfizer one, and due to a history of allergic reactions, she is supposed to have the Oxford/AZ one instead. That was apparently a couple of weeks ago, and her GP hasn't managed to figure out a way to get her an Oxford/AZ appointment elsewhere...

Other than another fruitless call with the receptionists at her GP surgery, is there something she can do to get one booked in herself? Any way of booking a vaccination slot online, somewhere she can be sure will be AZ not Pfizer, where the online system will both know that and know she's supposed to have one now? (She's too young to get it by age yet!)
sent you a DM, then realised I assumed you are in England rather than a devolved nation. What I wrote only applies to England.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
sent you a DM, then realised I assumed you are in England rather than a devolved nation. What I wrote only applies to England.
Thanks, will pass the info on!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I do agree that the money was wasted on track and trace, and of course cronyism. But if he/they/it hadn't done it they would have been slaughtered for not doing so. Not defending them, just saying.

There needs to be a covid windfall/profiteering tax. There is no consultant in this that deserves £6600 per day. Not one.
LETTERBOY, DaveS and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I do agree that the money was wasted on track and trace, and of course cronyism. But if he/they/it hadn't done it they would have been slaughtered for not doing so. Not defending them, just saying.

There needs to be a covid windfall/profiteering tax. There is no consultant in this that deserves £6600 per day. Not one.
Agreed. Something had to be done... but could've been done better. A lot better. The more one looks into Covid the more muck comes out...
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would guess that those in 30s in good health would start in April, but it would depend on where you live. In terms of vaccine supply, I can see they try to blend allowing some places to go faster if they can with not allowing these places to get too far ahead of the national pitcture. I would guess if you are London based, where there is more vaccine hesitancy than in Middle England, then you may get seen sooner.
I'll not multi-quote some of the other really insightful replies and experiences, but the dates I'm seeing here and in those other responses don't seem to align with what's happening locally to me.

So, some context.

The county I live in has a rate of 37, pushed higher by what seems to be bleed-through from a neighbouring county.
The district council area has a rate of 14.3
The town, which has a population of about 7k with a significantly higher than average elderly population, is at less than 3 cases so the rate is not reported. Neighbouring towns and villages, which also feed into the town's health services for vaccination purposes, also have three cases or fewer.

On 17th February, the last time my local medical centre put a report on their Facebook page, they were at 40% on Cohort 5, expecting to complete that group on 20th February. Cohort 6 was due to start, and likely finish, on 27th February. Based on that progression, and sitting in Cohort 9, I'd expect to get my first dose around 20th March.

Since that post - nada, not even an update on whether Cohort 6 proceeded as expected. My local Conservative MP, who's understandably quite keen to shout from the rooftops about good stuff that happens, has been suspiciously quiet.

So my question is this - because I live in a place with a really low incidence rate, are other areas with higher rates getting priority for delivery of the vaccine as a way of limiting the spread quicker? If so, at what point are they likely to get so far ahead that once again the supply is equalised?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Quick question for C-W-S or others with experience of these centres - the missus has her first jab in London tomorrow - I dont quite qualify yet as late 40s. I deliberately booked her a late appointment and plan to turn up with her and ask very nicely to be done at the same time. No doubt you see a lot of this, and was wondering what my chances of success were? There was a comment upthread about couples either side of the line getting done together.

(reasons are entirely selfish - I really want to ensure I am double-jabbed before a planned US trip in mid-June) [and no, not looking for opinions of whether this is likely to take place - dreaming of trips abroad is the only thing keeping me sane right now...]
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Quick question for C-W-S or others with experience of these centres - the missus has her first jab in London tomorrow - I dont quite qualify yet as late 40s. I deliberately booked her a late appointment and plan to turn up with her and ask very nicely to be done at the same time. No doubt you see a lot of this, and was wondering what my chances of success were? There was a comment upthread about couples either side of the line getting done together.

(reasons are entirely selfish - I really want to ensure I am double-jabbed before a planned US trip in mid-June) [and no, not looking for opinions of whether this is likely to take place - dreaming of trips abroad is the only thing keeping me sane right now...]
You mean you don't want to pay for a test to travel? GR said either test, vaccine certificate or antibody proof. I will wait to see what they mean by antibodies because for sure if I have them i want to have a paper saying so ppl can cut me some slack!

I don't see myself being vaccinated by summer unless I get the one jab thing.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle

My understanding of what c-w-s is saying is that local medical centres are taking a practical view if someone falls a few months the 'wrong' side of the line when their partner is slightly older, but the view is theirs to take and no-one who you speak to during the vaccination process will have the authority to authorise that - unless you're really lucky and they are desperate to get rid of a vial that will otherwise be discarded at the very end of the day when it's just not possible to contact anyone else on their priority list in time. With many people able to attend at very short notice, that's probably an unlikely scenario.

In my case the situation is reversed compared to yours, and actually probably slightly closer to having a chance of success because by the time my date arrives MrsNWIFlyer will be within about 9 months of qualifying for the same group anyway. If the situation at my local medical centre is typical of the NHS generally, she won't even get beyond the front door with me because she won't have an appointment (and there's no reason for me to have her there for support - the number of fillings in my teeth will attest to the fact that I don't have a needle phobia!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.