Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mrmojo
I had a similar experience at LHR. On the same day I was emailed a letter with a printable card that I can show the immigration agent next time I pass through. The biometric system won't be in place at LHR until April. Until then I can use the EU line and don't need to fill in a landing card. I suspect that it will be easier for me to just use the FastTrack arrivals at T5.

My understanding is that they are currently considering how to price the service once it commences in April.
I'm betting it ends up being about 20-30GBP per year over five years.

The stamping will continue until they get working automatic gates or kiosks. For me, it ends up being fewer IT scribbled notations on/near my stamps.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:12 am

Hey guys. I posted on the other thread too. I really hope someone on this site can help. I am studying aviation management BSC and for undergrad thesis chose registered travel schemes. My title was along the lines of how the different schemes affects passengers coming into the UK from countries outside the EEA . I wonder is this a good enough research question? What is the main problems that the passengers face with the schemes? I really don't know that much about the registered travel schemes aside from some info I've read on the Border Agency site e.g. about how IRIS is going to be decommissioned and some module slides too about the different schemes in different countries. I wanted to do a topic within the aviation security sector and this was the only topic under the sector the personal tutor made me feel confident I could do for an undergrad thesis. According to the slides I read from a student that did the presentation there were 8 different schemes worldwide and the countries using them apart from UK are: Malaysia, Portugal, Singapore,Hong Kong, Netherland and Australia. I'm still trying to think of a suitable title. My main questions are:
1. What are the different nationalities of the people on here and how long is the process to apply for registered scheme to UK compared to your respective countries?
2. Through experience is it easier to be registered on the scheme if you're part of the EEA than if you're from outside?
3.Is IRIS the only scheme the UK has at the moment?
4. What are the main benefits of the travel schemes you're registered on? What are the disadvantages?
5.How exactly do the schemes contribute to the aviation industry security? For those on the schemes do you feel that it contributes anything?
6. What is the biggest difficulty when applying?
I'm still critically analyzing and researching at the moment but will appreciate any valuable contributions and ideas or even useful links and books I can look at
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Flygirl89. I don't see that you have really stated a research question. You could pose a question that is central to the reason for such schemes - "What is the value of a registered traveler scheme to the UK?" Value being something that could have several interpretations.

I believe these schemes exist in part, so that high value travelers, continue to travel to or through a given country. To a certain extent, make entry into a country enough of an issue and travelers who use certain hubs will switch to locations that make their life easier.

Some countries make this easy. Example - Hong Kong. Visit six times in two years and you are eligible as a Frequent Visitor Card - which with a simple and quick in person registration at the airport allows you to use the biometric e-channel system - 100% automated.

Others like US Global Entry require an on-line form and then a scheduled in-person interview - not particularly bad and good for five years. It is nice that Global Entry is now good for entry into Australia and New Zealand.

I find it somewhat disappointing that the UK has been so slow to replace IRIS and even the Registered Traveler Scheme may not even improve over simply using Fast Track.

Note for the US Global Entry there is even expedited customs through a separate channel.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:18 am

Thanks @ AlwaysOnTheRoad for the reply. I was still not totally decided on a research question. I have been advised to focus on the relationship between registered traveller schemes and the aviation industry. I felt that maybe this meant considering different countries because of the different registered schemes rather than limitting myself to UK..but then there's the problem of how to validate say information about scheme in Hong Kong and the processes compared to UK one. I don't think I could use flyertalk member as a reference lol! I think you may be on to something because I live in UK and maybe my thesis might contribute something valuable to UK aviation? Might..lol. Do you think a research question like that would give me enough scope to write 15,000 word dissertation? Also how would I validate the information? Maybe interview passengers coming from three countries at the airport eg Australia, japan or US and ask them? Why is "What is the value of a registered traveler scheme to the UK?" central to the reason for the schemes? I don't know where to find information apart from the border agency site and gov.uk. There doesn't seem to be much detailed information online to be honest about these schemes. Are they mostly for business travellers? Is that what you meant by "high value travellers"? Was thinking of writing Border agency a letter under FOI and see what kind of info I get back from them. I'm not sure if I would get some answers to the questions I asked on here. I don't know..maybe wrong place to ask..Maybe should have started new thread.. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by flygirl89; Oct 16, 2013 at 11:44 am Reason: reconsidered
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:51 am

@ AlwaysontheRoad are you american? Can you tell me about your experiences with the registered travel schemes either in UK or anywhere else and possibly make comparisons? That would be quite helpful to me if you could. Might give me some ideas thanks. I'm also confused as to why USA, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand are the only countries eligible for the UK registered traveller scheme. I wanted to know about countries in the EEA and why they weren't eligible? Is IRIS the only scheme the UK has? Hown many traveller schemes are there in the world? Do you know?? So many questions!

Last edited by flygirl89; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reason: more thoughts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome flygirl89

Originally Posted by flygirl89
Hey guys. I posted on the other thread too.
Welcome flygirl89, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. It is good to get new people joining us here and I hope you will be able to contribute to this resource.

My suspicion is that it may be easier to ask bite sized chunks, but I certainly think there is a dissertation worth of material in the issue. But I will answer one of your questions: the chosen countries for the trial are ones which are part of Five Eyes, an informal umbrella for close co-operation on security, signals and communication matters. Japan isn't a Five Eye but in terms of the perceived value of their citizens economically and the low security risk, they are also in this trial. I suspect the current limited scope is to reduce the resource requirements needed at this stage of the project. I would expect more countries will be added in Q1 2014, but that's just a hunch. EEA citizens were not included since they can use the e-passport gates anyway, though my experience is that very few actually try it!

As a frequent traveller myself, I am a member of just 2 schemes, for the US (Global Entry) and Hong Kong.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:40 am

hey thanks for the reply. I will research 5 eyes. I finally have a research question for my project and sypnosis. Btw what's this about "Next Flyertalk British Airways Do: Fri 23 Aug, Glasgow. Please come along!" ? Do you do events
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Sadly I can confirm that Tier 1 visa holders are not eligible, despite the fact that they can register on the website and get through the initial approval process.

I applied online at the beginning when the wording on the website was a bit unclear and kept changing. Received the approval letters and went to register when arriving at LHR ths afternoon. All my details were in the system and correct and the fellow at the desk was very nice and registered me as others have described above.

However then a supervisor came along and saw my residence permit card and told the fellow to reject me She was apologetic about it but said very clearly that the scheme is just for short term visitors right now.

I lamented the passing of IRIS, the supervisor said IRIS was more trouble than help, and that human-to human inspections were the only way to process travellers properly, I said I hoped the Registered Traveller scheme would open to long term visitors soon, and that was it.

So it's back to the salt mines of the Fast Track queue for me

[To be clear, I'm not complaining. I knew it was unlikely I would get all the way through the registration process, but thought it was worth a shot, and am posting here so others might benefit from my experience.]
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Sadly I can confirm that Tier 1 visa holders are not eligible, despite the fact that they can register on the website and get through the initial approval process.

Come April 2014 and with the planned full roll-out, hopefully it will enable you to register as well?
I totally see it sucks for residence card holders to have to queue for a long time, especially when you frequent fly out of the country and therefore the cumulative amount of time you spend in the immigration queue can be frightful.

Have you noticed by the way that the fast track immigration queue takes longer at times than the normal one, due to the officers/passenger ratio being poorer at times?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Have you noticed by the way that the fast track immigration queue takes longer at times than the normal one, due to the officers/passenger ratio being poorer at times?
Yes and the blame for this lies squarely with BA who made the decision earlier this year to give everybody and their dog access to the fast track lane without paying for additional immigrations staff to process them.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Mostly. I think Fast Track should be in inverted commas/quotes.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Not sure what BA did recently, but it's been that way for years. I've had to play the Fast Track vs. normal queue game since 2007 at least. You never know which will be quicker.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:34 am

Is there anyone that's currently registered on the current travel scheme? I phoned the head of the travel schemes Paul Booth asking if he could help me conduct research and he said no it's still early days and only a few people are registered on the scheme so I should wait till christmas time or when the scheme becomes fully operable by april 2014.. :/ as if I don't have a deadline which is next march...not sure what to do now.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:40 am

If anyone is registered have they discovered any problems so far with the current scheme? It seems people preferred the IRIS but what do they think of the current one? It doesn't seem very original to me. Its e-passport using biometric data. This of course isn't groundbreaking or anything and Paul said it wouldn't replace the IRIS so what do those who use them think?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
But I really do not understand why it's not opened up to a larger audience, e.g. all EEA passengers/citizens.
What would be the point? All it does is let the registrants use the same system that EEA citizens can use already.

Has anyone else checked what they mean by "visited the UK"? I entered the last 4 dates I entered the UK however several of them were from flights from Ireland. I was refused and I suspect that's because I didn't actually pass immigration on those trips. The wording seems not to exclude CTA visits so I wonder if I should bother to press the issue with an application listing specific flights and times. I'm assuming they have a record of people who enter the UK on flights from within the CTA from passenger manifests and the like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.