Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:59 pm

I am American, had registered under IRIS, enter more than 4 times per year and have a biometric passport. I just registered on line. Has anyone gone through the entire procedure? How long did it take for them to approve you and where did you go for an interview?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I am American, had registered under IRIS, enter more than 4 times per year and have a biometric passport. I just registered on line. Has anyone gone through the entire procedure? How long did it take for them to approve you and where did you go for an interview?
It takes about a week to get the letter inviting you to be interviewed the next time you enter the UK. The "interview" is not much more than a standard encounter with a passport control officer, who then enters or confirms your data in the system. Some here have reported receiving a follow up email, but I was told I could immediately start using the EU queue (with my US passport) and not fill out the landing card, and it worked the next time I entered the UK. I never did receive a post-interview email. I'll be trying it again tomorrow (arriving from LAX).
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
I agree. It took about a week to receive the interview/approval letter. So far, I've been in and out of the UK twice on the scheme: at LGW there is a separate queue for registered travellers, and at LHR you use the EU/EEA queue. It's all been very straightforward so far, but at this stage I still miss IRIS (when the gates worked).
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Sadly I can confirm that Tier 1 visa holders are not eligible… a supervisor came along and saw my residence permit card and told the fellow to reject me…
Right.

Just received the following by email:

Further to your recent application to join the Registered Traveller scheme and your successful enrolment at Stage Two I am pleased to announce that you have been accepted onto the scheme. Your current membership will remain valid until 31 March 2014.
They attached an ID card for me to print as well. So am I in? Will try on my next entry and report back. But I suppose this is encouraging!?

Edit: It also says this:

If at any time whilst a member of the Registered Traveller scheme you intend to visit the UK for the purposes of a visitor undertaking a permitted paid engagement you will be required to go to the ‘others Passports’ queue at the border and will not be able to utilise the benefits of the Registered Traveller scheme on this occasion.
If I am a Tier 1 visa holder, does that also make me "a visitor undertaking a permitted paid engagement"?

Last edited by ExpatExp; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Re the "interview", during my last LHR entry my wife and I presented our letters (that we received from Registered Traveller after filling out the online application) and our Border Officer was at a loss of how to "approve" our status. He had us accompany him to another Officer (his "in-charge") who also had never dealt with the program, but who clicked the right buttons because shortly later we both received a new letter ("Registered Traveller - Stage Two Complete. Registered Traveller Membership Granted.") via email. The time spent with the two officers was no less than the time spent during an interview for Global Entry, but as far as we could tell this was due solely to their never having clicked the necessary "approve" button before. Neither of us were asked any additional questions. YMMV
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
No real interview for me. The nice lady at UK Borders didn't know what to do but asked a colleague. The key step seemed to be writing my number in the stamp they put in my passport. Two days later, they emailed me a letter saying I'd been accepted into the program, along with a card in the email that they asked me to print and bring. I have now done so and we'll see if this works next week.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Right.

If I am a Tier 1 visa holder, does that also make me "a visitor undertaking a permitted paid engagement"?
Oh wow, so that's news. You applied as a Tier 1 holder and got accepted?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Oh wow, so that's news. You applied as a Tier 1 holder and got accepted?
Yep. I thought that was news as well -- but I have yet to re-enter the UK under the programme. I am still debating whether or not I should ask them if it's ok to enter as a Registered Traveller, or if I should just go for it…
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Worked for me today (and also last week). In both cases, I entered without filling out a landing card.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

The Home Office is now running a consultation until 3 December about immigration and visa changes. The UK Border Force 'intend[s] to expand the provision of dedicated VIP suites and premium fast-track processing through the border at certain ports'. As part of the consultation, members of the public can give their opinion on whether 'Border Force [should] provide or facilitate enhanced services at the border' (questions 8-10).

A perfect opportunity for those of us affected by the abolition of IRIS/restrictive eligibility criteria for the Registered Traveller Scheme to suggest changes!

You can view the consultation in full and submit responses at: https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...s-consultation
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Are there any intentions to expand this programme to more nationalities or those resident in the UK? Seems a bit of a waste if it is only for visitors.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Bump! Will the scheme be expanded? Seems such a waste to restrict it to a very small group of individuals.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:32 am
Suspended

Registered traveller scheme - update

I couldn't seem to find the thread on this and just wanted to an update based on recent experience:

So upon arrival After registration at the border control they took down your reference number

The immigration officer said from now on I can line up in the EU line and don't need to fill out landing card

I received an email letter confirming this and a cut out card. However don't know whether it is joke - the expiry is 31 March 2014!!!!

I think after this they will either ask for payment or require some process to extend
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
There'll be a fee to join after the pilot ends on 31 March.

https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller-scheme
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I find it fascinating that one of the criteria is that you must have been registered for IRIS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.