Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is Ł70 of which Ł50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs Ł50 each year and changes of document details cost Ł20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This could become useful, but as usual the devil is in the details. And if it is implemented in all major airports, including BFS, EDI, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The wording on the website has changed again:

Passengers can apply for the scheme if they:

previously registered to use IRIS; and
are from the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand; and
have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; and
are a short term visitor to the UK aged over 18.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/cu...euk/usingiris/
Old Sep 21, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am in the realm of partly informed speculation, which is always dangerous. But I would be surprised if they were actually excluded, since the object of the exercise is to reduce effort on those passengers who don't require effort. Again I am speculating, but what often happens in these situations is that the scheme gets refined and improved over time. E.g., well, IRIS.
I would say you are specifically excluded if you are permanent resident in the U.K. and a U.S. citizen like myself, or there would have been no need to insert point 4.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Moomba
The wording on the website has changed again:
Yeah, noticed it too...quite a lot of "and"; it reads as if they want the eligible group of passengers as small as possible

But I really do not understand why it's not opened up to a larger audience, e.g. all EEA passengers/citizens. Wouldn't it make sence economically? Comparing LHR and HKG, it's currently easier and faster to enter Hong Kong (using the e-channel any frequent flyer can register for) than crossing the border at LHR...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Yeah, noticed it too...quite a lot of "and"; it reads as if they want the eligible group of passengers as small as possible

But I really do not understand why it's not opened up to a larger audience, e.g. all EEA passengers/citizens. Wouldn't it make sence economically? Comparing LHR and HKG, it's currently easier and faster to enter Hong Kong (using the e-channel any frequent flyer can register for) than crossing the border at LHR...
This may be an initial registration run. Probably easiest with people they already have in their database to start the program before opening up to everyone. It just doesn't make any sense to not allow new registrations.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by stoneman
I would say you are specifically excluded if you are permanent resident in the U.K. and a U.S. citizen like myself, or there would have been no need to insert point 4.
I agree. I'm a US passport holder, but am a UK resident and knowing the British penchant to follow the letter of the law it seems pretty clear we aren't included. That's annoying because I should be relatively easy to process and they have my biometric data on file and it would be nice not to have to stand in the normal queue every time I travel in and out of the country.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
This may be an initial registration run. Probably easiest with people they already have in their database to start the program before opening up to everyone. It just doesn't make any sense to not allow new registrations.
^
That seems reasonable, although a bit disappointing. Hopefully will open up a bit for GE, as this would be a major benefit!!!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Annoying to see it is all ANDs now for eligibility, so meeting the first three criteria is scuppered by living here and failing the fourth.

Also quite deceptive, as the IRIS page attempts to infer a dichotomy for existing IRIS users, that we have option A (EEA/EU citizen => ePassport) or B (Registered Traveller Scheme) available.

Obviously false, as the criteria for registration for IRIS were never as restrictive as this. Registration to IRIS was fairly restricted by the time honoured British tradition of rarely having enough staff to open a registration office.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1

But I really do not understand why it's not opened up to a larger audience, e.g. all EEA passengers/citizens. Wouldn't it make sense economically? Comparing LHR and HKG, it's currently easier and faster to enter Hong Kong (using the e-channel any frequent flyer can register for) than crossing the border at LHR...
While I fully agree with you, I think you are missing the politics. The USA will only allow easier access to the Global Entry Program when the UK grants easier access to the UK via the Registered Traveller Scheme. If you look at the relevant US Government website, it specifically says that easier registration by UK citizens for Global Entry will only be allowed when the UK implements the RTS for US citizens. Hence this is just a compliance measure and deliberately restricted to the minimum number of participants.

Looking further it seems that the UKBA have two conflicting and incompatible beliefs:

- On the one hand, they think that the e-passport gates offer a smooth, easy and efficient means of entry for UK and EU passport holders across the UK border. Yet this is no IRIS with restricted and pre-registered access. It ignores the fact that anyone with a biometric passport can use the system and before long all UK and EU citizens will therefore be eligible - not exactly Fasttrack

- On the other hand, they recognise that they need to facilitate the smooth passage of business travellers. Again, why would this be necessary if e-passports worked as efficiently as the first premise would have you believe? This does remind me of BA's decision not to have separate CE/CW check-in desks at T5 as all check-in desks would be so efficient! This was quickly reversed as reality kicked in and protests mounted. Also, why do UKBA want to favour business travellers? Most other countries have fast track schemes for frequent travellers.

As a frequent, but exclusively leisure, traveller, why is my time less precious? I pay my taxes and cross the UK border 25-30 times a year, but that doesn't matter? (Of course that figure would go down a bit, if I weren't leaving the UK to fly back again and avoid APD on LH premium flights).

I suspect the UKBA are monitoring this thread, but this time there is little scope to change "or" to "and" or to pepper all causes with "ands" - this is just plain poor policy pure and simple. The real question is: "Is it what the minister intended, though"?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:32 am

This needs to be available for those frequent travellers who meet the requirements but have limited or indefinite leave to remain.... of course I fit into that category and I hope I am pleasantly surprised on Tuesday.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
IRIS was only avaialble technically to those who retuend to the country 4 times or more per year even as UK citizens. This is no different to the IRIS requirement.
That's incorrect. EEA citizens could register for IRIS irrespective of the frequency of their visits to the UK (as long as they were in the unusual situation of finding an IRIS enrolment office open).
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by stifle
That's incorrect. EEA citizens could register for IRIS irrespective of the frequency of their visits to the UK (as long as they were in the unusual situation of finding an IRIS enrolment office open).
When I registered (uk passport) I was asked how often I flew. No evidence required.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
*grumble* What about British Citizens? *grumble*
^
I still think there should be lanes for British citizens at our ports, whatever the EU feel about it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by squeeler
^
I still think there should be lanes for British citizens at our ports, whatever the EU feel about it.
There would be absolutely no issue if UKBA actually staffed the borders to cater for the demand. IRIS was brilliant and allowed them to potentially greatly reduce staff numbers. They should have been expanding it not removing it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
With the speculation that the minimal criteria may just be a pilot, or indeed box ticking by the UK to satisfy the US, I noticed today that the UK Govt expects the Registered Traveller Scheme to serve more than 7.8M people...

https://www.gov.uk/transformation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.