FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:03 am
AlwaysOnTheRoad

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Flygirl89. I don't see that you have really stated a research question. You could pose a question that is central to the reason for such schemes - "What is the value of a registered traveler scheme to the UK?" Value being something that could have several interpretations.

I believe these schemes exist in part, so that high value travelers, continue to travel to or through a given country. To a certain extent, make entry into a country enough of an issue and travelers who use certain hubs will switch to locations that make their life easier.

Some countries make this easy. Example - Hong Kong. Visit six times in two years and you are eligible as a Frequent Visitor Card - which with a simple and quick in person registration at the airport allows you to use the biometric e-channel system - 100% automated.

Others like US Global Entry require an on-line form and then a scheduled in-person interview - not particularly bad and good for five years. It is nice that Global Entry is now good for entry into Australia and New Zealand.

I find it somewhat disappointing that the UK has been so slow to replace IRIS and even the Registered Traveler Scheme may not even improve over simply using Fast Track.

Note for the US Global Entry there is even expedited customs through a separate channel.