Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK Catering back to normal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
Flying from SFO to Asia via IST in December. Booked with AeroPlan. I am in the category that needs good onboard service because I want full experience. My other option is Etihad but that has an economy leg on United for 4 hrs in US. Any one having experience on Etihad J can comment on whether it would it be wise to chose Etihad over TK J?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by pichalite
Flying from SFO to Asia via IST in December. Booked with AeroPlan. I am in the category that needs good onboard service because I want full experience. My other option is Etihad but that has an economy leg on United for 4 hrs in US. Any one having experience on Etihad J can comment on whether it would it be wise to chose Etihad over TK J?
based on TK catering and that doesn't seem to be changing soon I would choose almost any other airline. Especially if you aren't on a TK 787 flight
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by pichalite
If I'm not wrong, Etihad has done some cost-cutting although it's not huge like TK did.
There was a trip report of Sam Chui on Etihad, although that was on an A321.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Tk j

Originally Posted by reggiekush
based on TK catering and that doesn't seem to be changing soon I would choose almost any other airline. Especially if you aren't on a TK 787 flight
Did you not read that the OP is flying December? You are out of your mind if you think TK or other alines will keep services down for another 2 months (its October).

With so many people flying home and to visit over Xmas you bet your dime that max services will be restored by last week of December thats almost as much as a gurantee as Dodgers winning the World Series.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by YVRELITE
Did you not read that the OP is flying December? You are out of your mind if you think TK or other alines will keep services down for another 2 months (its October).

With so many people flying home and to visit over Xmas you bet your dime that max services will be restored by last week of December thats almost as much as a gurantee as Dodgers winning the World Series.
I'm sorry that I would disagree with you one more time.

Yes, the Christmas season is a time where many people fly and many flights are oversold. This means that TK would not feel the need to improve their catering to attract more passengers as availability would be quickly filled as there is demand for travel. Most flights during Christmas are oversold and TK doesn't need the catering to be restored to attract more passengers. Also a reminder that many people purchase their Christmas tickets far in advance rather than last-minute, someone who really cared about the onboard soft-product including catering would have already chosen an airline that offers full-service at this point rather than playing the crystal ball on wheater TK would resume normal catering or not.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

I am surprised and disappointed by the mindset of the people on here please keep in mind you are a very very small minority and hopefully a dying breed as reward programs get eliminated in these cv19 times.
You are under no obligation to read or post in this forum. However many find the information useful and appreciate the knowledge and opinions of others, even if they don't always share them. Further to that you may also find further information about the rules useful https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#welcoming

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
DaveS and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Not attracting its about retaining

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

Yes, the Christmas season is a time where many people fly and many flights are oversold. This means that TK would not feel the need to improve their catering to attract more passengers as availability would be quickly filled as there is demand for travel. Most flights during Christmas are oversold and TK doesn't need the catering to be restored to attract more passengers. Also a reminder that many people purchase their Christmas tickets far in advance rather than last-minute, someone who really cared about the onboard soft-product including catering would have already chosen an airline that offers full-service at this point rather than playing the crystal ball on wheater TK would resume normal catering or not.
I don't think you understand how businesses work. I am a busiess owner my self and the number one thing we want to do is focus on customer retainment and NOT customer acquisition. The customers as you said are guaranteed already whats not guaranteed is the airline they select. Thus with so many options airlines compete with each other by offering unjque perks, brand building is so key. TK have spent years building the quality of their brand and they value brand over any potential new customers. If you don't understand that its over for you already.

Come xmas airlines will be offering top service top speciality attention etc to capture and attract the xmas rush by then its do or die.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:45 pm
azj

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The two sides to this debate still don't get it

For some passengers the fuss of the onboard service and the lavishness of the drinks and meals are what makes the business-class an experience worth paying for.

Other passengers could care less about meals. They're happy to read, watch, listen, work, sleep: and snack off whatever they're given.

There's no right or wrong!!!

The first group are free to throw a connection into their journey. It increases cost, travel time and faff but that's the accepted trade-off for onboard service. Throw in other considerations such as frequent-flyer programmes and the general geekiness of FTers, and it makes even more sense.

But understand that for others, convenience, comfort and peace of mind are what rule choice of carrier. In the current climate a dramatic show of hygiene precautions maybe trumps the meal-time theatre.

For me, I cant remember when i entered an aircraft hungry, and on post-midnight departures from IST I find the 2am meal service intrusive - and every bit as annoying as being woken up three hours before landing for breakfast.

TK will eventually get bounced back into the old service levels when full competition comes back. But for the moment there's absolutely no need for them to do so: indeed, the sparseness of service may well gives them an edge in the current market.
Don't get me wrong... I'm generally in the "I want it all, if I'm going to pay large amounts of money." I like value. What TK is offering know isn't great value, but given the circumstances, IMO, one cannot have the same expectations. Is what they're doing right? Who knows. But at the moment, it's meeting people's needs. Hopefully things return to normal sooner than later.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you understand how businesses work. I am a busiess owner my self and the number one thing we want to do is focus on customer retainment and NOT customer acquisition. The customers as you said are guaranteed already whats not guaranteed is the airline they select. Thus with so many options airlines compete with each other by offering unjque perks, brand building is so key. TK have spent years building the quality of their brand and they value brand over any potential new customers. If you don't understand that its over for you already.
Yes, this time I agree that brand value is a key for most companies and customer retainment is important. I also agree with the point that TK has spent years and tons of money to invest on their brands including partnerships with celebrities, advertisements in major events such as Euro 2016, Superball, etc...

Also, people generally choose their airline during the Christmas schedule because of the price, the timing, the direct routing, etc... to maximize their time with their families and their loved ones on their holidays. Especially in North America where are you probably based at.

Come xmas airlines will be offering top service top speciality attention etc to capture and attract the xmas rush by then its do or die.
First, in Turkey Christmas is not a holiday so TK would not focus on Christmas marketing. In TK flights you would probably not even get a "Merry Christmas" announcement when you fly on 24-25 December.

Also, do you really expect US carriers such as Delta which offers nothing than pre-packaged snacks, water, beer, and wine on their premium transcontinental routes to improve their service during Christmas because of marketing reasons? I don't think so. If so, why don't airlines announce their Christmas improvements at the moment so people could book those airlines far in advance?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

Thousand times this.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I don't think you understand how businesses work.
It's good to know you run a business: but it's pretty clear it's not an airline

I am a busiess owner my self and the number one thing we want to do is focus on customer retainment and NOT customer acquisition.
PRECISELY! it's the same with airlines. And hotels. That's why they run loyalty programmes. They give as a membership perk something of high value to a consumer but of no maerginal cost the airline or hotel (a seat that was going to fly empty, a bed likely to remain unslept in)
Q.E.D.

A caveat though, airlines are happy to acquire new members who are proven frequent flyers - hence their regular status matching programmes, were they hope to capture frequent flyers from other airlines' programmes.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Xmas

Yes, this time I agree that brand value is a key for most companies and customer retainment is important. I also agree with the point that TK has spent years and tons of money to invest on their brands including partnerships with celebrities, advertisements in major events such as Euro 2016, Superball, etc...

Also, people generally choose their airline during the Christmas schedule because of the price, the timing, the direct routing, etc... to maximize their time with their families and their loved ones on their holidays. Especially in North America where are you probably based at.

First, in Turkey Christmas is not a holiday so TK would not focus on Christmas marketing. In TK flights you would probably not even get a "Merry Christmas" announcement when you fly on 24-25 December.

Also, do you really expect US carriers such as Delta which offers nothing than pre-packaged snacks, water, beer, and wine on their premium transcontinental routes to improve their service during Christmas because of marketing reasons? I don't think so. If so, why don't airlines announce their Christmas improvements at the moment so people could book those airlines far in advance?
The thing i want everyone to understand is that Xmas will see a massive wave of travelers, and as such the masses will be exposed to the true conditions of airlines in cv19. Up till now and leading to XMas we have extremely limited air travel with only die hard or really key travel people flying which represents a tiny% of the overall industry. As such airlines like TK had low reason or motivation to adhere to these die hard travellers as they HAVE to fly.

Now come Xmas when the real masses and population starts flying, TK and other airlines fear being exposed for their lacking amenities and service will scramble to cover up their flaws for the busy season. It's not a if its a fact and sooner you will realize it the better.

I am basically a prophet of this board because I can tell weeks ahead on what is going to happen whether you agree or disagree with me I believe my wisdom and insight is masterful.

Come this holiday season airlines won't be able to cover up their flaws to the masses as such will be forced to restore full service. It would be chaos and bad PR for any airline should the masses and the media starts reporting on flying conditions. Up to now only reports on airlines were restricted to fan forums and inside information, actual population has no clue how bad its been and the airlines cannot afford to allow the masses to know how bad it was so they will fix it. I am flying my self to Maldives going through Europe from Ottawa in last week of December with TK and I gurantee you by time I fly things will be fixed.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:58 pm

Good luck with that
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:02 pm

Deleted

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Oct 24, 2020 at 8:40 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thing i want everyone to understand is that Xmas will see a massive wave of travelers, and as such the masses will be exposed to the true conditions of airlines in cv19. Up till now and leading to XMas we have extremely limited air travel with only die hard or really key travel people flying which represents a tiny% of the overall industry. As such airlines like TK had low reason or motivation to adhere to these die hard travellers as they HAVE to fly.

Now come Xmas when the real masses and population starts flying, TK and other airlines fear being exposed for their lacking amenities and service will scramble to cover up their flaws for the busy season. It's not a if its a fact and sooner you will realize it the better.

I am basically a prophet of this board because I can tell weeks ahead on what is going to happen whether you agree or disagree with me I believe my wisdom and insight is masterful.

Come this holiday season airlines won't be able to cover up their flaws to the masses as such will be forced to restore full service. It would be chaos and bad PR for any airline should the masses and the media starts reporting on flying conditions. Up to now only reports on airlines were restricted to fan forums and inside information, actual population has no clue how bad its been and the airlines cannot afford to allow the masses to know how bad it was so they will fix it. I am flying my self to Maldives going through Europe from Ottawa in last week of December with TK and I gurantee you by time I fly things will be fixed.
I'll just say that I hope you are right as we are also not a fan of this reduced catering. I wish that you enjoy great pre-COVID level meals on your TK flights in December. Please don't forget to report us back after your travel. ( a report with photos is highly preferred )

Although, I don't think that TK would back-up from their hygiene based marketing strategy at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.