Wiki Posts
Search

TK Catering back to normal?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
TK Catering back to normal?

Im flying to IST from LHR and the check in agent in J told me that she isnt 100 percent but believes they are back to normal in their catering starting today. I board in a hour or so so hopefully she was right. Will report back
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't think so, but I hope that I'm wrong.
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't think so, but I hope that I'm wrong.
yeah nvm the check in agent was wrong. got me excited lol
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:26 pm

Got my hopes up for a second! Flying JFK-IST tonight.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Nope, on LHR-IST in J you get a cardbox, with a wrapped-in small cake, a bred and a small salad.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: TK E+
Let us hope that this is not their "New" normal.

An announcement from Turksh Airlines Corporate about their medium/long term catering/lounge services would be greatly expected.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You are all welcome to dream about a better catering service on TK.
However, it would not happen until the pandemic is over or TK backs up from their hygiene-based marketing strategy.
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:15 pm

I don’t think so this was my meal 24hrs ago via IST

They should stop taunting us with this
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Is TK in financial trouble because of covid like most airlines and hence the cutbacks?
I spent an hour reading the dire reviews of the airline on Tripadvisor last night which didnt make for bedtime reading. I know you always get whiners and whingers on TA - I'm a TA Destination Expert - but the reviews were consistently very critical of TKs cost cutting in the name of covid.
I read that unlike other airlines TK are not cutting back on staff. So the staff know their jobs are secure and they have less work to do now so maybe they are happy with the cuts. One thing that stood out reading the reviews was just how many pax complainted of the arrogance and negative attitude of TK cabin crew.
I found one recent article from July 2020:

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/bumpy-...s-and-economy/

Just a thought!
raporot likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:30 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Well yes. TK cut pilot wages by 50 percent, cabin crew wages by 35 percent and other personnel wages by 30 percent but will keep all their staff. That is somewhat laudable but whether it is economical to drastically cut back on inflight services to save a buck but then annoy the few pax there are remains an open question. Pax have a choice and especially in premium classes (the ones that make the profit) they expect something in return. A cold meal on a long haul flights does not cut it. In my view the TK catering cut backs are a false economy.

The grumpiness of many TK staff is not related to their pay, that was an issue already well before COVID.
daisymay2 and sunsearchers like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Well yes. TK cut pilot wages by 50 percent, cabin crew wages by 35 percent and other personnel wages by 30 percent but will keep all their staff. That is somewhat laudable but whether it is economical to drastically cut back on inflight services to save a buck but then annoy the few pax there are remains an open question. Pax have a choice and especially in premium classes (the ones that make the profit) they expect something in return. A cold meal on a long haul flights does not cut it. In my view the TK catering cut backs are a false economy.

The grumpiness of many TK staff is not related to their pay, that was an issue already well before COVID.
Thank you for replying starflyergold and totally agree with what you say.

I havent flown TK for years, last time was LHR-CPT years ago and been a loyal EK pax for years now but when booking my December flight to Mauritius I was impressed by the feedback on TKs J service - on board chef and great food - so decided to give them a go.

I will hold on until November to see what happens with the service. I have already rescheduled this flight once this year and may try to reschedule until next year if possible, but think that will incur charges this time? I think only first change is zero change fee?

Also unclear about change fees for J semi-flex ticket one way and flex on the return flight.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:47 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by starflyergold

It was high time to lower the stakes for these slacker flight attendants. But a TK already had a constant staff turnover.But food and cabin bags...Thats was the one of the HUGE parts why i choose TK...now...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The actual problems in this situation are that;

- Turkish Airlines have invented a hygiene-based marketing strategy which allowed them to cost-cut.
- Unlike other airlines, Turkish Airlines currently serves a wide international network including some smaller cities.
- Indirectly related but Turkey has no restrictions or COVID testing for transfer passengers.
- Turkish also has a significant amount of O->D pax which does not check anywhere other than turkishairlines.com when booking a ticket and pay the stated price. Miles&Smiles is a great factor here.
- Add on to my previous line to say that Turkish people ( especially the wealthier ) see to make a connection somewhere as something painful and if they have the economic opportunity, they avoid it.

If TK has passengers and making them money, why should they back up from their current policy? I could not find a reason as TK does not have that many competitors.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:41 am
soy

Programs: various
Reading the CX forum today, I note that CX have joined the group of airlines who have restored normal F&B service (at least in J). Just sayin'........
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
AMS-IST a few days ago, it was the box (like pictured above, but a sandwich instead of the salad, with bulgur salad & cucumber yogurt instead of the eggplant). This was more than enough for a 3 hour midday flight (it was a 777 but beats Euro-biz by a mile). Cabin crew was surprisingly very pleasant and proactive with refills and they didn't appear to run out of anything).

IST-IAD, also 777, currently onboard. Box is identical to the one pictured above. That's all the food that has been served so far and we're 8 hours in with 3 to go. Hopefully something else will materialize (I'll probably ask in an hour or so). Cabin crew started off well, brought around duvets, etc. (there are only 4 of us in the mini-cabin and perhaps 10-12 in the front cabin). Over the first 3 hours, I was able to get 5 or 6 diet Pepsis (they are quite small & the only source of caffeine given the lack of coffee). But then everyone disappeared, and the biggest problem is that the call button is utterly useless. One time, I pressed it, unpressed it, and pressed it again 4 times over the course of a few minutes just to see if anyone responded, and no one did. And I've pressed it (once) on a few other occasions just to see if the response varied with the crew member or something, but uniformly I have gotten no response at all. So the easiest conclusion is that they have all agreed to ignore the call button and hide away in the galley. Still a great use of 57,500 Aeroplan miles (+$40 US), but I am much more looking forward to my upcoming flights on QR in a few weeks.
jlimftalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.