Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK Catering back to normal?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jphy
Just flew IST to JFK in business class today, and we were served hot meals and hot tea/coffee!
Thanks
for sharing your experience with us.

How was the service?

- Was food menus distributed?
- Was there an appetizer trolley like before?
- Were all meals ( starters, main course, fruit, etc... ) served in a single tray, or service was done like pre-COVID?
- Was real cutlery and glassware used or plastic cutlery or glassware?
- How was the pre-arrival meal?

Thank you in advance.
Also please feel free to share any additional information that could be useful.
selo and tayaran like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks
for sharing your experience with us.

How was the service?

- Was food menus distributed?
- Was there an appetizer trolley like before?
- Were all meals ( starters, main course, fruit, etc... ) served in a single tray, or service was done like pre-COVID?
- Was real cutlery and glassware used or plastic cutlery or glassware?
- How was the pre-arrival meal?

Thank you in advance.
Also please feel free to share any additional information that could be useful.
I wanted to post photos, but I don't have enough posts to have that privilege yet

Yes, menu cards were distributed prior to take off.

No trolleys, unfortunately. Starters, fruit, and dessert were served on a single tray. The flight attendants then walked around with a basket of individually wrapped bread rolls for people to grab. Once it looked like you were done with the cheese selection (breakfast) and salad (before landing), the attendants swapped out just these plates for a hot meal of your choice.

We were given real cutlery and glassware for hot drinks, but bottled drinks and plastic cups for cold drinks.

The breakfast meal consisted of fruit salad, muesli, kaşar & white cheese with olives, chocolate cake and a choice of kaşar cheese omelette or traditional style baked spinach pastry. The omelette was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy the pastry very much.

The pre-arrival meal consisted of hummus, şakşuka, salad with grilled chicken, chocolate vanilla cake, and a choice of grilled lamb chops, sea bass, or rigatoni. I wanted the rigatoni but those ran out by the time they got to me. My partner got the lamb chops, which were just okay, and I got the sea bass, which I barely touched. IMO, the taste wasn't much of an improvement from the boxed cold food, but here's to hoping that gets better! I was totally getting on my flight expecting the boxed meals, so a very good surprise when the menu cards were handed out

We also received a paper bag of snacks, cheese sandwich, almond cake, and pringles mid-flight.
andersl, daisymay2, Amil and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: aeroplan
jphy Wow! Thank you very much for sharing all the details. Can't wait to see the photos!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by tayaran
jphy Wow! Thank you very much for sharing all the details. Can't wait to see the photos!
No problem!

Here are the photos!

Menu

Breakfast

Breakfast - Pastry option

Breakfast - Omelette option

Before Landing

Before Landing - Lamb option
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:52 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So basically modified pre-COVID short-haul C-class catering standards are now offered on long-haul. Definitely a move in a right direction...
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
No problem!

Here are the photos!
Excellent photos! Did you notice what was going on back in Y? If they still had the boxes, hopefully that will improve before too long.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
That is indeed a good start towards normalisation.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
Excellent photos! Did you notice what was going on back in Y? If they still had the boxes, hopefully that will improve before too long.
Sorry, I didn’t have a chance to see what they were serving in Y
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:17 pm

Sorry, I didn’t have a chance to see what they were serving in Y
Did you get the famous "fake" candle treatment on your dinning table during the flight? Curious.

michaelmorio
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Did you get the famous "fake" candle treatment on your dinning table during the flight? Curious.

michaelmorio
No, I didn’t get that during my flight.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: aeroplan
jphy A few more questions if I may..Did they hand out an Amenity kit on the flight? Was the flight full? Did you use the M&S Lounge, was it busy?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

tayaran Yes, we got the Versace amenity kits. Orange for ladies and brown for men. It had the same content but the pouch itself was different from what we received on our JFK - IST flight, which was a pleasant surprise (it was white for ladies and still brown, but different shape for men). The flight was actually quite full. I didn’t notice an empty seat in J, compared to my JFK - IST flight, which only had about 10 passengers. We visited the M&S lounge out of curiosity for a couple minutes, and it was not busy at all. Lots of empty tables and seats. We wanted to see what hot foods were offered because we totally weren’t expecting any on our flight, and only saw tomato & cheese sandwich and scrambled eggs.
tayaran likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: ac *e
jphy -- Thank you for the update

Did you or did you see anyone else bring a normal carry on roller/spinner bag on the plane?
Or only the personal small carry ons?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by uluwatu
jphy -- Thank you for the update

Did you or did you see anyone else bring a normal carry on roller/spinner bag on the plane?
Or only the personal small carry ons?
I can't talk about his personal experience but the carry-on restriction is still in place so larger carry-on's are still prohibited inside the cabin
jphy likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:29 am

uluwatu Yes, carry-ons are still limited to smaller personal items, but I did see a roller bag or two that had some special approved tags that were brought on board. Not sure what the process/qualifications are to get that approval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.