Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DaveS
On arrival. There is a desk in the lounge and they are subject to availability.
The chap checking in at the lounge desk alongside me had a room reserved. I asked him how come, and the answer seems to be it's a privilege enjoyed by members of TK's business version of M&S.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Star Gold with 3 guests

Hello. I am Star Gold traveling in economy internationally. My 3 siblings would like to experience the IST Lounge. Can I accompany each of them 1 at a time then exit with them and do this 3 times? Or, forbidden? Otherwise, at 04:00 or so how easy might it be to find some kind souls to guest my 3 siblings?

Thanks
Old May 25, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. I am Star Gold traveling in economy internationally. My 3 siblings would like to experience the IST Lounge. Can I accompany each of them 1 at a time then exit with them and do this 3 times? Or, forbidden? Otherwise, at 04:00 or so how easy might it be to find some kind souls to guest my 3 siblings?

Thanks
Unfortunately no, the system would detect that you have guested someone before so that would not be permitted at all.
I am not sure how you would find accommodating people to guest the other 2 siblings that would travel with you.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:42 pm

Otherwise, at 04:00 or so how easy might it be to find some kind souls to guest my 3 siblings?
Thanks
Rules were recently changed, and now demand that a guest must be on the same flight as the Star gold. You'll probably be VERY hard pressed to find two Star golds on the same flight as your siblings, let alone two Star golds that are on the same flight and are willing to guest your siblings. If you're standing outside the lounge, asking everybody what status they have and what flight they're on, you'll probably annoy people so much that they'll call security.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Thanks
There is a thread here somewhere to find someone willing to guest but I couldn't find it.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately no, the system would detect that you have guested someone before so that would not be permitted at all.
I am not sure how you would find accommodating people to guest the other 2 siblings that would travel with you.
Not that I condone this nor is it worth risking but theoretically you could duplicate the same bp and use that at the automated gates?

Originally Posted by RedChili
Rules were recently changed, and now demand that a guest must be on the same flight as the Star gold. You'll probably be VERY hard pressed to find two Star golds on the same flight as your siblings, let alone two Star golds that are on the same flight and are willing to guest your siblings. If you're standing outside the lounge, asking everybody what status they have and what flight they're on, you'll probably annoy people so much that they'll call security.
Yes, but this does not apply to TK*G. This makes it a lot easier for OP."In accordance with the latest change made by Star Alliance on May 3, 2021, Gold card holders and their guests are required to fly together in the same aircraft. Guests of the Miles&Smiles Elite and Elite Plus card holders continue to use the Turkish Airlines lounges even if they fly with a different Star Alliance flight."
TPACjv likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Not that I condone this nor is it worth risking but theoretically you could duplicate the same bp and use that at the automated gates?
This doesn’t work either because when “re-entering” on the same boarding pass for the 2nd time, you will get a green light, but the automated gates will not open amd you will have to approach the gate agent who will re-chexk tour credentials, including taking photo of your bordijf card and passport.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nov11
There was a dessert cart last week in the lounge offering a selection of cakes (not too sure if baklava was included too).
am at the lounge now. Baklava is now served buffet style without any lids. Still no cakes served.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am so excited to try this lounge in a couple weeks!
Old May 27, 2022, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
A few photos of my lovely visit to the IST Business Lounge last Sunday night.

DaveS and ankomonkey like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
am at the lounge now. Baklava is now served buffet style without any lids. Still no cakes served.
Sorry to hear that. It seems you were unlucky and missed out.
I was there on Wednesday afternoon and there was a nice selection of cakes made by a company called Demel, which were also available in the old lounge at Atatürk Airport. So it seems there is still a chance of enjoying them at the new airport too.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by michlflyer
Sorry to hear that. It seems you were unlucky and missed out.
I was there on Wednesday afternoon and there was a nice selection of cakes made by a company called Demel, which were also available in the old lounge at Atatürk Airport. So it seems there is still a chance of enjoying them at the new airport too.
It's true that the old airport had more choices in terms of cake choices such as the warm apple pie, the cherry pie and some other cake varieties never made their appearance at the old airport. However, you are right that Demel is still serving cakes at the current IST International Lounges.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
It's true that the old airport had more choices in terms of cake choices such as the warm apple pie, the cherry pie and some other cake varieties never made their appearance at the old airport. However, you are right that Demel is still serving cakes at the current IST International Lounges.
I will look forward to trying the apple pie.
The Demel strawberry mousse cake is a real afternoon tea treat 😊
Old May 28, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: United MilagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Exiting the longer and then clearing immigrations and customs?

The thing that we discuss is that how to leave the airport when in the departures level of the international airside.
I had a similar question.

Is it possible to visit the lounge for Star Alliance Gold on arrival from one flight in transit and then exit and clear immigration and customs to visit the city before the next flight?

From what I've understood you need to go to immigrations and customs at arrival level and the lounges are the the departure level.We are scheduled to arrive from AMS at 3:35am and scheduled to depart at 8:15pm to BOM.

What I wanted to do was, on arrival from AMS go to the departure level and access the lounge to rest a little and freshen up. Then after a couple of hours, leave the lounge and clear immigrations and customs to exit the airport for the transit city tour.

I was wondering if we can leave the lounge at the departure level and then go to -1 level to clear immigrations and customs? Or will we only be able to go to -1 Level directly after arriving from AMS
Old May 28, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by tejasjog
Is it possible to visit the lounge for Star Alliance Gold on arrival from one flight in transit and then exit and clear immigration and customs to visit the city before the next flight?

From what I've understood you need to go to immigrations and customs at arrival level and the lounges are the the departure level.We are scheduled to arrive from AMS at 3:35am and scheduled to depart at 8:15pm to BOM.

What I wanted to do was, on arrival from AMS go to the departure level and access the lounge to rest a little and freshen up. Then after a couple of hours, leave the lounge and clear immigrations and customs to exit the airport for the transit city tour.

I was wondering if we can leave the lounge at the departure level and then go to -1 level to clear immigrations and customs? Or will we only be able to go to -1 Level directly after arriving from AMS
Your assumptions are correct. You CAN go skip the immigrations if you do a transit (and have the onward boarding card), go to the lounge ans stay there a little, and the leave it to go for the transit tour. After the tour, check-in and security check, you can go back to the lounge before your flight. This is completely within the rules as you can exit and re-enter the lounge between your flights as much as you wish. Just expect that the automated doors will give you green light on your subsequent entries, but won't open. The lounge agent will clear this for you after checking your identity.
tejasjog likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: United MilagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Exiting the lounge from departure level and then clearing immigrations and customs?

Originally Posted by MitjaPod
go to the lounge ans stay there a little, and the leave it to go for the transit tour.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Really Appreciate it.

What I'm confused about is that, when we arrive and as transit passengers clear security and go to departure level to access the lounge, how do we go back to clear immigrations and customs from the departure level? Is there a clear path for that? Or will some will have to help us navigate against the regular flow?

(I remember at ZRH, for example, even from the departure level there's a way to go to immigrations and customs at the international terminal. Flights from US arrive at the departure level itself. And for flights which arrive from elsewhere you need to clear security and go to departure level from arrival level. But from the departure level you can go out again.)

Last edited by tejasjog; May 28, 2022 at 7:02 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.