Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Hey everyone,

Flying KUL - IST in a couple days, landing @ 0505.
Day long layover and then depart at around 2000 for DBV.

Is the arrival lounge open yet? If not, are we able to use the standard lounge upon arrival or would that require exiting and re-entering through security etc...?
I'm Canadian so looking for a spot to catch the Raptors vs GS NBA finals game and figured the lounge may have it...

Then going to try to go into the city and explore a bit as well.
The arrival lounge is not open yet, you would be able to use the departures lounge ( Miles&Smiles or Business depending on FQTV status and travel class ) which would require security in your case and you would need your boarding pass for DBV to access the lounge. Then you could leave the airport by clearing immigration and passport control. By the way, if your layover is on a Wednesday ( the only day that the morning DBV flight does not operate ) you would be eligible for the free transit hotel as well.

Also, don't expect much from the airport Wi-Fi. Once, the airport had opened in October, the speed was 130mbps, however, after the movement it is really slow. The lounge Wi-Fi is a bit faster but not more than 5mbps. Also to watch your NBA game on your laptop, you may need a VPN. As NBA matches are broadcasted in a paid channel in Turkey, it would not be on the lounge.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge seems to be using one of the DTH services, and I do not believe that S sport is a premium channel, and they might also have NBA TV, I just think the guy would have to ask for them to change the channel on one of the TV's..... I have seen them show football matches which are in higher tier channels....
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The arrival lounge is not open yet, you would be able to use the departures lounge ( Miles&Smiles or Business depending on FQTV status and travel class ) which would require security in your case and you would need your boarding pass for DBV to access the lounge. Then you could leave the airport by clearing immigration and passport control. By the way, if your layover is on a Wednesday ( the only day that the morning DBV flight does not operate ) you would be eligible for the free transit hotel as well.
Originally Posted by hfly
The lounge seems to be using one of the DTH services, and I do not believe that S sport is a premium channel, and they might also have NBA TV, I just think the guy would have to ask for them to change the channel on one of the TV's..... I have seen them show football matches which are in higher tier channels....
Appreciate the replies. Layover is Tuesday June 11th.
Don't have a laptop with me so yes, was hoping on the big wall of TV's could get it on one of those...

To clarify - I could enter the departure lounge, upon arrival (w/ IST - DBV boarding pass), see if the NBA game is on. If not then could just clear immigration later when I wanted to head into the city?

Also any options for luggage storage? Am I able to leave my carry on in the lounge while I head into the city for part of the day?

Last edited by CanadianMike; Jun 9, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:48 am

To clarify - I could enter the departure lounge, upon arrival (w/ IST - DBV boarding pass), see if the NBA game is on. If not then could just clear immigration later when I wanted to head into the city?
?
Hello guys. New here. Anyway, I read Turkish Airlines comment in one of the people asking in FB... show boarding pass. Is that enough, without being a Classic Elite or higher? Just wanna confirm.

But what is the Departure Lounge? It is the M&S lounge?

THANKS!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by StarkyPepp
Hello guys. New here. Anyway, I read Turkish Airlines comment in one of the people asking in FB... show boarding pass. Is that enough, without being a Classic Elite or higher? Just wanna confirm.

But what is the Departure Lounge? It is the M&S lounge?

THANKS!
Hi StarkyPepp and welcome to FT!

There are two departure lounges. If you are traveling on Business Class you have access to the Business Lounge. If you hold a *G status, Miles&Smiles Elite or Elite Plus card or if you are a member of the Turkish Corporate Club, you have access to the Miles&Smiles Lounge.

If you're eligible for the lounge, you could enter by presenting your boarding pass without any extra documents.

By the way, if you are traveling in Economy class and not have the FQTV status for the lounge, you would not be admitted to the lounge.

I hope this helps as your question was not clear.
StarkyPepp likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Don't have a laptop with me so yes, was hoping on the big wall of TV's could get it on one of those...

Also any options for luggage storage? Am I able to leave my carry on in the lounge while I head into the city for part of the day?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: TK*G elite plus
exclusive lounge

anyone knows if exclusive lounge is open yet? or when it will open?
next question: when it's open, i will fly with my parents through istanbul in business, i have elite plus but my parents don't. will i be able to bring them in?

thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by cleofilms
next question: when it's open, i will fly with my parents through istanbul in business, i have elite plus but my parents don't. will i be able to bring them in?

thanks!
Don't think a date has been announced but I thought I heard Aug/Sept 2019 but I could be very wrong on that.

Your parents will not be allowed inside. All this is covered in the Wiki in this thread.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cleofilms

thanks!
AFAIK and as PiperAtGatesofDawn mentioned the opening date for the Exclusive Lounge is not yet precise and no guests would be allowed.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:00 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

Yes, no issue to go the transit route with your IST-DBV boarding pass (assume flight is within 24 hours) and go into the lounge, then later clear immigration and go into the city. Lounge has lockers which will take carry-ons - not sure if you're supposed to leave bags in there and leave the airport but friends of mine have no problems
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Exclusive lounge: space for 180 pax, as in the wiki, TK elite/elite+ and business class pax only. From the size I presume (but tbc) no guests.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-air..._campaign=news
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:20 am

Hey guys! Is there any difference between breakfast and lunch food/drinks in the business lounge? Between 6am to 12.30pm, what is the busiest time?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by behyx
Hey guys! Is there any difference between breakfast and lunch food/drinks in the business lounge? Between 6am to 12.30pm, what is the busiest time?
The offerings change around 10:30-11:00 and the breakfast offerings leave their place for the lunch ones.
The busiest time would vary on the day and I would not be able to tell any certain information about that.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Exclusive lounge: space for 180 pax, as in the wiki, TK elite/elite+ and business class pax only. From the size I presume (but tbc) no guests.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-airlines-exclusive-lounge-new-istanbul-airport?itm_source=featured-article&itm_medium=hero&itm_campaign=news
Considering to limited space(180 pax only), the best solution for Exclusive lounge access would be Elite+ with guest(s) only. Business class lounge for business flyers with guest when a J pax have a Star Alliance Gold status and Miles&Smiles lounge for Elite and Star Alliance Gold card holders with guest.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having now been through the airport and both lounges many times, I have a different opinion. Other than one or two meaningless things (such as the art gallery) these lounges (M&S and Business) are identical. I actually think that they should be available to passengers depending on where their flight is. Right now, if you were Elite plus and leaving from F for example (not flying Business) you go through security and take a 2-4 minute walk left, and then when you leave have to walk roughly 5/8 of the way across the airport to get to "F" and then maybe anywhere from another 2-10 minutes to get to your gate. Similarly, a Business lounge user flying from B, also has to do all this extra walking, I think it would be far more efficient if the lounges were based on where you were flying from. As for the "Prestige" lounge, let's see if its "all that". The rumor that I have heard is that they are trying to get Do&Co to mimic LH HONS/First lounges............we'll see.
Eurocity and ISTFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.