Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Garimi
Is it arrivals lounge at new airport ?
Not yet.

We landing at 6.30 am and have next flight at 21.00 wanted to use free Tour which we need to clear emigration to book tour starts 9.00
Yes you would need to clear immigration and the visa costs ( if applicable ) would be on your own expense

If arrivalslounge is not opened yet
Is it possible to use departure lounge and landside from where ?
You would not be able to use the departure lounge from the landside of the airport.
Turkish Airlines currently does not offer arrival based lounge access at Istanbul.
The only way to access lounge after arrival is if you are a transfer passenger and if you're holding a valid onward boarding pass, you could go to the departure lounges after arrival before clearing immigration but this would involve clearing security ( once after arrival, once after coming back to the airport from the tour ).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:25 pm

We will have boarding pass for next flight at 21.10

It's easy to clear emigration after visiting lounge in departure level?
Can we book tour from lounge?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
We will have boarding pass for next flight at 21.10

It's easy to clear emigration after visiting lounge in departure level?
Can we book tour from lounge?
The route to exit ( immigration ) is unadvertised so you might find it difficult to exit the airport from landside.
No, you can't book a tour from the lounge. Normally, you are not supposed to visit the lounge, if you're taking one of the tours but no one would check if you did or not.
The only way to book a tour is to present yourself at the respective desk at the arrivals level after leaving the baggage claim hall.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:33 pm

If one should take an Istanbul Tour, would it be ok to leave the carry-on bag in the lounge locker? I know at least one airport (AUH) that does not allow pax to exit the airport while their bag is still in the lounge locker. They claim to get a notification from passport control when that happens, and eject the luggage to the "lost" area.
I don't think that would be an issue at IST lounges, as their lockers are self served.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You could use the lockers in IST without any kind of personal information so that won't be the issue in IST.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The route to exit ( immigration ) is unadvertised so you might find it difficult to exit the airport from landside..
Thx

So How to get to immigration from departure (TK Lounge) zone ?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thx

So How to get to immigration from departure (TK Lounge) zone ?
Follow signs for A and B gates. After taking the escalator down to the gate level. You would see a secret door next to those escalators. Just go through those doors and you are in the transfer level which you could proceed to immigration.

There is a detailed post ( with images ) in the TK forum but unfortunately, you need to search it by yourself.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
First time at new IST lounge

Currently in the business class lounge and think it's beautiful. However, I do have one gripe. There is only bottled water available and they are tiny 330 ml bottles. I doubt my one person crusade makes much of a difference, but I refuse to use bottled water. (I can't stand to see all that plastic waste wash up on the shores of our oceans.) It's a shame with a brand new airport/lounge, that they could not make an alternative available.

I always travel with my own bottle which I fill up from 5 gal dispensers or filtered water fountains. However, this beautiful new lounge has neither. Just the tiny bottles which mean a lot of plastic for very little water. I've resorted to drinking hot water with lemon while I'm here, but I usually like to board a plane with my own full water bottle.

Does anyone know where I can get cold filtered water? I've asked a few staff members and they keep pointing me to the array of plastic bottles. Do they have filtered water in the kitchen. Are there dispensers in the airport?

I googled whether tap water is safe to drink and found this:

As mentioned, the tap water nearly everywhere in Turkey can be considered safe to drink, but in many places it does not taste very good.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In Turkey, no one drinks tap water as bottled water is cheap and filtering tap water would cost much more than purchasing bottled water.
Probably, you wouldn't find filtered water anywhere in Istanbul Airport.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
... I doubt my one person crusade ...
Are you seriously using that word in IST?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh the travails of first world travelers and their first world problems when traveling in the developing world!
margarita girl and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
Oh the travails of first world travelers and their first world problems when traveling in the developing world!
Sorry, hard to remember you’re in a developing country when you are in a state of the art, brand new airport. However, there surely is drinking water available that doesn’t taste bad and doesn’t come out of 330 ml bottles for making coffee, tea, wine, beer, cooking, etc. I avoid plastic as much as I can regardless of where I am. Never thought I’d have to apologize for that.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firstly, believe it or not TK does not take your empty bottles and throw them in a river or even a dump. They seems them for recycling.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Sorry, hard to remember you’re in a developing country when you are in a state of the art, brand new airport. However, there surely is drinking water available that doesn’t taste bad and doesn’t come out of 330 ml bottles for making coffee, tea, wine, beer, cooking, etc. I avoid plastic as much as I can regardless of where I am. Never thought I’d have to apologize for that.
i don't like to be kill-joy, but Turkey doesn't stand below the banner of developing country under any definitions used by credible organisations. Tap-water is potable, though the claim is it tastes bad, so many take the advantage of cheap bottled water. My understanding is that plastics are recycled.

I've certainly imbibed tap water and noticed no alien taste. But habits die hard ....

Long and short: fill up your trusty bottle from a tap or give in to bottle culture.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
Firstly, believe it or not TK does not take your empty bottles and throw them in a river or even a dump. They seems them for recycling.
If it’s anything like NA, a huge percentage of water bottles end up in landfill, not recycling.

I’d like to believe it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.