Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: WoH Globalist; AS MVP 75K; OW Emerald; AA Platinum Pro; HH Gold; MB Gold
Originally Posted by gordpope
A related question re layovers: We are there for 16+ hrs between TK flights (Business Class) and I think this length disqualifies us for the lounge sleeping rooms . But TK Air offers free hotel accommodation, I think. However, I believe this would involve getting a Turkish Visa ($83 each for Canadians) because we would leave the airport. Makes the free hotel look not so free and the Yotel offering not so expensive. Anybody dealt effectively with this situation?
In the past, I have opted for the free hotel and paid visa but given the ever-changing covid travel regulations, I would not risk leaving the airport and its 'transit' status. Depending on the timing of your trip, Turkey may be on the red list for your destination and you risk being forced to quarantine upon arrival. This is not an issue at this very moment but something to keep in mind for travel in the more distant future.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:24 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
After a 2 year absence I passed through the IST lounge twice in the last week. Observations: Staff direct business pax (even M&S elites) to the business lounge as it appears to be quieter (it certainly was on both occasions). Food is available but there seems to be less so, the cakes have not made a return sadly. Neither have the spirits, so no G&T for this traveller. Overall, the airport is buzzing though some parts of the shopping area appear to be sealed off for the moment.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
After a 2 year absence I passed through the IST lounge twice in the last week. Observations: Staff direct business pax (even M&S elites) to the business lounge as it appears to be quieter (it certainly was on both occasions). Food is available but there seems to be less so, the cakes have not made a return sadly. Neither have the spirits, so no G&T for this traveller. Overall, the airport is buzzing though some parts of the shopping area appear to be sealed off for the moment.
It is amazing how packed it gets, especially through the main thoroughfare near the M&S Lounge.

Will be there in a few hours heading to the YotelAir and then back to the US tomorrow.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:03 am

Was in the lounge from 10am until 1pm. Fairly quiet except for the guy, shoes off, splayed across two couches, snoring his head off.

Food stations were humming and not too packed, but for the life of me couldn't find the wine. Saw people with it, but couldn't find it. I'm sure there will be some on the 11+ hour flight.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Was in the lounge from 10am until 1pm. Fairly quiet except for the guy, shoes off, splayed across two couches, snoring his head off.

Food stations were humming and not too packed, but for the life of me couldn't find the wine. Saw people with it, but couldn't find it. I'm sure there will be some on the 11+ hour flight.
I saw similar scenes when I arrived early morning at IST on Wednesday (frankly it brought back unpleasant memories from the old IST lounge). I find it odd that TK allow this sort of carry on.

And yes there may be wine and other booze on the flight

safe travels
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Where the cheese sandwiches went...

I made my first domestic flight for two years. I'd forgotten the delights of the IST-Dom lounge, and the trek to reach it. But I can confirm the lounge is now home to TK's cheese sandwich production. Baskets and trays of the things: and if you tire of them there are also cheese slices and bread, allowing to make your own.
ffay005 and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I made my first domestic flight for two years. I'd forgotten the delights of the IST-Dom lounge, and the trek to reach it. But I can confirm the lounge is now home to TK's cheese sandwich production. Baskets and trays of the things: and if you tire of them there are also cheese slices and bread, allowing to make your own.
Thanks IAN-UK for the update,
So are we done with the packaged-only options which were limited to the famous cheese sandwich, olive thyme, and chocolate/vanilla cake. Were there other options?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks IAN-UK for the update,
So are we done with the packaged-only options which were limited to the famous cheese sandwich, olive thyme, and chocolate/vanilla cake. Were there other options?
Soup
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Soup
Lentil soup does not count (as food).
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveS
Lentil soup does not count (as food).
… if you're hungry enough and pile in enough of the herbs, spices and condiments it can become a winning alternative to cheese sandwiches.

And I forgot. There were some prepared salads in tiny, tiny covered plastic dishes. Tasty enough, but strawberries to elephants,
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Electrical outlets: Lots non-functional

Hi,

Used again the TK M&S lounge yesterday and even though the airport/lounge is not that old, rather disappointed that the quality of the build is really bad - lots of the electrical outlet was non-functional, I tried maybe 5-6 different ones and all these floor based one, all non-functional.
A lot of the sofa too were already showing signs of over used and offered no support.
Such a pity that within such a short term, so many items are not working anymore - comparing this to the Qatar lounges, seems the build quality is much better.

Cheers!
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:21 am

Access to lounge

Hello,

I have a question. Flying into Istanbul on an award ticket. I bought a domestic flight to cappadocia. The layover is about 4 hours. Will I get access to Turkish star alliance domestic lounge as it’s on two different tickets?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by tboons
Hello,

I have a question. Flying into Istanbul on an award ticket. I bought a domestic flight to cappadocia. The layover is about 4 hours. Will I get access to Turkish star alliance domestic lounge as it’s on two different tickets?
Are you flying Business or a Star Gold status? if either then yes.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:48 pm

Flying into Istanbul on business award ticket

but economy on domestic leg on different ticket reservations. So I would qualify?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tboons
Flying into Istanbul on business award ticket

but economy on domestic leg on different ticket reservations. So I would qualify?
Unless you hold Turkish Classic Plus, Elite, Elite Plus status; Star Alliance Gold status at a partner airline or you are a member of the Turkish Corporate Club, you would have no lounge access.
Turkish Airlines does not offer lounge access based on arrival at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.