Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by David7
Thanks for this hint. The TK website says Houston sales office is closed due to COVID.. how long did it take them to reply to your e-mail?
They changed something for me this week within an hour and I booked something couple of weeks ago within a day - I imagine they are closed until Tuesday now.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by David7
The call center was a total trainwreck, I did HUACA about 15 times and every time the agents found a different excuse ("not available", "available but I can't select it", "not part of star alliance", "that city does not have an airport", "all itineraries have to connect in Istanbul", "system not working") or just hung up.

Haven't heard back from my e-mail either over the weekend and with 4th July approaching I think it is safer to bite the bullet and pay double the miles and book via Lifemiles.
I've had a bit of luck with the call center calling the Turkey number during their working hours. From what I can tell out most calls including all out of hours calls are answered by call centers that genuinely can't book *A
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I have to cancel an award booking that is scheduled for tomorrow. (We just tested positive - but not PCR.)

The website cancel button doesn't work. The app cancel button doesn't work.

Three times I've tried the call centre and I get as far as trying to pay the cancellation fees and it bombs out. They say I need to call back in two hours once the problem has been fixed. I wait over 2 hours and try again with the same result.

I can't find an open sales office in time for the 12 hour cancellation window.

They tell me they've written a file note on my booking that I've tried to cancel.

Any suggestions? I guess at this stage my only option is to email the sales office that made the booking for me but unfortunately they don't open until with the 12 hour window.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I have to cancel an award booking that is scheduled for tomorrow. (We just tested positive - but not PCR.)

The website cancel button doesn't work. The app cancel button doesn't work.

Three times I've tried the call centre and I get as far as trying to pay the cancellation fees and it bombs out. They say I need to call back in two hours once the problem has been fixed. I wait over 2 hours and try again with the same result.

I can't find an open sales office in time for the 12 hour cancellation window.

They tell me they've written a file note on my booking that I've tried to cancel.

Any suggestions? I guess at this stage my only option is to email the sales office that made the booking for me but unfortunately they don't open until with the 12 hour window.
Have the call center cancel the reservation and make your ticket into an open ticket. Then you can get the sales office to process the refund at a later time.
sydunipete and sammyg901 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Have the call center cancel the reservation and make your ticket into an open ticket. Then you can get the sales office to process the refund at a later time.
I just told them to cancel since the cc was not being registered for the cancellation fees.

Not sure what will happen, but the agent said to call in an hour - doubt that the problems would be fixed then, so told him to cancel!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
I was able to book 2 x-class tickets for the UA flight SFO/OGG just ONLINE.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Hi everyone--I was able to find a buy an X ticket for UA metal on TK miles. However, that flight won't now work for me. I'm unable to cancel online and I the call center agent told me that he could not cancel and refund the miles either. He recommended to try to call UA or to go to a sales office. Does anyone have a rec for which sales office might be the most amenable to helping me here? I doubt UA can do anything on their end, but I can try hitting them up as well...
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:00 am

Checking my own sanity here:

Current reservation is a TK metal award from TBS-IST-SFO booked on promotional business. Looking to change that to MUC-IST-SFO, with the new first leg departing a day earlier, resulting in an overnight IST connection that is still <24hrs so not a stopover.

The MUS-IST new leg has promotional award avail, but the IST-SFO does not anymore. This is an allowable change to make, just a $25 fee, correct?

I've tried the call center 3 times with 3 slightly different answers. Twice that it's not possible to change just one leg, and a third time the agent started to look but couldn't see any of the same MUC-IST availability I was seeing on the miles & smiles website. Going to try contacting a sales office via email next, if this should be a valid routing change.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by partsunknown
Checking my own sanity here:

Current reservation is a TK metal award from TBS-IST-SFO booked on promotional business. Looking to change that to MUC-IST-SFO, with the new first leg departing a day earlier, resulting in an overnight IST connection that is still <24hrs so not a stopover.

The MUS-IST new leg has promotional award avail, but the IST-SFO does not anymore. This is an allowable change to make, just a $25 fee, correct?

I've tried the call center 3 times with 3 slightly different answers. Twice that it's not possible to change just one leg, and a third time the agent started to look but couldn't see any of the same MUC-IST availability I was seeing on the miles & smiles website. Going to try contacting a sales office via email next, if this should be a valid routing change.
No, you won't be able to make this change.

If you look at your eticket receipt, this is probably what it shows regarding changes and cancellations:
REISSUE
Not allowed
With 25,00 USD penalty - (In case of no-show)

REFUND / CANCELLATION
With 25 USD penalty
With 50 USD penalty - (In case of no-show) - In case of no-show

TK has not allowed changes on award tickets for some time.. In practice, I've been able to to make date changes (so just even exchanges) but not routing changes, and I think even date changes are technically against fare rules.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:33 pm

That is pretty surprising, as it would be in direct conflict to the award terms on their website, I actually don't see any of that listed on the e-ticket just re-iteration of those same linked terms.

Some FT comments over the years (people appending reservations to add a leg, one guy even able to 'divorce' segments in 2018, etc) would suggest this to be a new change then or dependent on the communication channel (i.e. call center truly can't make changes, and can only cancel/redeposit/rebook)?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
This seems to be a TK award, not a partner award. So wrong thread...

In any event, you must be able to see MUC-IST-SFO award space at the time of the change. As has been mentioned thousands of times on this board, TK uses married segments. So you cannot just "hold on" to one leg of your journey and cancel/change the other. The whole thing must be cancelled and rebooked.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif

In any event, you must be able to see MUC-IST-SFO award space at the time of the change. As has been mentioned thousands of times on this board, TK uses married segments. So you cannot just "hold on" to one leg of your journey and cancel/change the other. The whole thing must be cancelled and rebooked.
You're right Craigthemilf - didn't notice a designated non *A thread and accidentally posted here. My bad. Either way, when searching married segments it wasn't clear when it applied (most discussions were around paid flights) and this specific post was what had me confused. I'll try my luck. Otherwise guess I'll be booking an extra positioning flight from MUC-TBS to fly the original itinerary 🤷
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by craigthemif

He can change for a fee one of the segments of the itinerary if the new flight doesn't exceed the 24h.
I tried and i arrive at the payment. I don't know if the transaction goes on.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:57 pm

East Coast to Hawaii on TK Miles & Smiles. This link was huge help in booking - https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-book-united-flights-using-turkish-miles-smiles/

Want to take my family of 5 for a Hawaii trip from East Coast in Mar' 2023. Began by finding saver award space on united. Found a date and then looked on the Turkish site. There were "only 3 seats" from IAD to HNL showing available to so I immediately called TK, knowing I wouldn't be able to book anything on the website for anyone beyond myself from previous attempts. This was around 1am est. The agent was able to find the space quickly and began taking down passenger information. I gave her my wife and 2 of my kids information. She was able to reserve the space & gave me 24 hours to call back - more than enough space to transfer over my Capital 1 miles to my TK account.

That left me to find flights for myself and my 3rd child. The next day I began to search one by one across all the other United Hubs and almost exhausted my options until I found saver space from DEN > HNL on the same date as the rest of my family on United. I cross-referenced on TK site and saw availability with no limitations on availability. The booking process was much different this time around, though...

I called into TK around 4pm est. Initially the operator said he couldn't find any availability, but I assured him I'm looking at the availability on the TK site. He said he would try another computer. He switched computers like 3 times putting me on hold. I was feeling feisty so I wanted to see if I could actually book a ticket so I booked my own on the website while I waited. When he returned he told me he found the space, and I had to tell him I already successfully booked a ticket for myself. I wish I hadn't, though, because it extended my phone call by probably an additional hour.

I still needed to book a ticket for my last family member, my child, who is a minor. I figured I could book a ticket for her and he could just combine onto a single PNR. He told me that he couldn't combine two different PNR's and also that a minor couldn't be booked without an accompanying adult. I asked if he could just cancel my booking to rebook us together on one itinerary but wanted to charge me a fee. I came to realize this was primarily about TK child fares being discounted compared to adult fares. Was able to get him to book an adult fare for my child and began taking her details. He did say he was able to make a note on her booking I was accompanying her.

Then came another hurdle halfway through the booking - he required her passport number. This was not requested when I previously reserved my families flights so I asked if it was necessary and he said it was. I responded by saying she doesn't have a passport & since she's flying domestically she doesn't need a passport. He wouldn't budge and almost ended the booking right then. I proposed giving him my passport number since it wasn't even necessary... he went with it! I was able to finish and pay for her flights.

I then had him pull up the reservation on hold for the rest of my family and was able to pay for them after confirming all their details. I just booked a positioning flight for me and my one child to Den on United the day before the HNL flight.

Later that night I pursued booking all of our return flights, ideally on miles&smiles. There absolutely no HNL to any continental hubs outside of LAX. I decided to look at OGG instead of HNL knowing flights around the islands would be cheap. Not much success for the dates I was looking for but did find OGG > DEN on United saver. Found on TK site so immediately called in.

This happened around 1am est again and the operator was sharp and found the flights I was looking for immediately! Middle of the night est may be the time to call! Was able to book the return flights very quickly to DEN.

No DEN to IAD on TK, but I'll probably just use SW or JB funds for that final leg back home. Hope any of this helps.
sammyg901, DaveS and monopod like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by no_idea
I was able to book 2 x-class tickets for the UA flight SFO/OGG just ONLINE.
Whaaat???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.