Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You should be able to book these flights.
I emailed one of the Turkish Air ticket offices and in between me emailing them and them emailing me back, the second segment of the return flight (DEN to BNA) went up in price on United and is no longer available as a Saver Award so no longer available to be booked by Turkish.

I emailed them with a new return flight:

1) #3[/URL] 33333]UA 1557 15NOV OGG-SFO 2206 0500
#3[/URL] 33333]2) UA 540 16NOV SFO-IAH 0720 1310
#3[/URL] 33333]3) UA 1858 16NOV IAH-BNA 1421 1616

But they responded saying segment #2 (UA 540 16NOV) is not available and segment #3 (#3[/URL] 33333]UA 1858) does not exist. I'm looking at this itinerary on United's site and I see it as an available Saver Award. Any idea why they are seeing segment #2 as not available and segment #3 as not existing?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by njsalazar
I emailed one of the Turkish Air ticket offices and in between me emailing them and them emailing me back, the second segment of the return flight (DEN to BNA) went up in price on United and is no longer available as a Saver Award so no longer available to be booked by Turkish.

I emailed them with a new return flight:

1) #3 33333]UA 1557 15NOV OGG-SFO 2206 0500
#3 33333]2) UA 540 16NOV SFO-IAH 0720 1310
#3 33333]3) UA 1858 16NOV IAH-BNA 1421 1616

But they responded saying segment #2 (UA 540 16NOV) is not available and segment #3 (#3 33333]UA 1858) does not exist. I'm looking at this itinerary on United's site and I see it as an available Saver Award. Any idea why they are seeing segment #2 as not available and segment #3 as not existing?
All the flights should have XN availability on United.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:39 pm

Ah okay thanks. Also, do turkish holds default to 48 hours? The agent didn't specify how long the PnR will be valid..
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mike64b
Ah okay thanks. Also, do turkish holds default to 48 hours? The agent didn't specify how long the PnR will be valid..
It depends on the booking and the operating airline.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:25 pm

It depends on the booking and the operating airline.
I see, it was for a partner flight on united, not sure if you can tell from that alone?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike64b
I see, it was for a partner flight on united, not sure if you can tell from that alone?
If it's a UA booking, the hold time is controlled by United so it's very hard to predict when until your booking is being held.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jaenks
I know what you talking about. I had a similar experience after booking was made to LH F and went to airport office to pay taxes. Country manager contacted office in Turkey and I was told that not possible to redeem miles in LH F although it was only LX F as per t&c. So, I gave them a proper feedback(training) and asked the guy in Turkey transfer the call to more higher competency level.Ticket was issued. What I would do, if you already have not, is call the US toll-free number through Skype ask availability giving them dates and flight numbers and ask them to restart their booking system if they do not find it. The information you received by email is completely wrong.
Facing the same wall, they say they can't issue LH First (putting the blame on LH of course) or they simply say they can't book award tickets except for TK, and so on, my 2 sales office are being useless (BCN and PVG) and the different agent on the phone are not of any help...

Flight is in 2 days
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:31 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by pvgman
Facing the same wall, they say they can't issue LH First (putting the blame on LH of course) or they simply say they can't book award tickets except for TK, and so on, my 2 sales office are being useless (BCN and PVG) and the different agent on the phone are not of any help...

Flight is in 2 days
It's getting worse and worse
It seems that TK doesn't want to book Star Alliance companies awards any more
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:27 am

Just a data point:
called last night to ask if the *A system was still down, decided to try a booking on LOT, of course they couldn’t find it although it was available through UA Mileage Plus...then he kindly offered to search on TK, he found space at the non-saver level (which was showing online as 115k) but couldn’t even price that...his system wasn’t showing him the mileage price for a TK flight...
how much worse can it get?!!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Just a data point:
called last night to ask if the *A system was still down, decided to try a booking on LOT, of course they couldn’t find it although it was available through UA Mileage Plus...then he kindly offered to search on TK, he found space at the non-saver level (which was showing online as 115k) but couldn’t even price that...his system wasn’t showing him the mileage price for a TK flight...
how much worse can it get?!!
Don't waste your time with the hotline.
Visit, call or e-mail a sales office. If you're a frequent traveler, stop by one of their airport offices complete the upgrade over there.

It's much easier
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have anyone had any success booking an award ticket through the call center? The website doesn't work either and my local ticket office specifically tells me NOT to contact them for Star Alliance reservations. They weren't very pleased the last two times I issued tickets through them.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH4116
Have anyone had any success booking an award ticket through the call center? The website doesn't work either and my local ticket office specifically tells me NOT to contact them for Star Alliance reservations. They weren't very pleased the last two times I issued tickets through them.
Most recent experiences indicate that the call center could not book Star Alliance awards due to technical errors in their system.
However, it might be fixed.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
LH F is hard to find with any of the partners. TK is no exception, but the additional hoops make it harder.

I managed to get an LH F “O” reservation (even showed up in the app) for my mom early this year, but couldn’t get hold of the local office to get the thing ticketed/paid for in time. Would have loved to treat her to the experience.
LH O (award F) is as common to be accessible for Miles&More members only until T-14.
LX O (award F) is awailable ONLY for Miles&More Senators and HON members. Nobody else can get the F award seat at all.
Upgrades are a bit different story.

As the F cabins are very small -- just 8 seats and they usually also manage to sell them as revenue seats very well, I personally see it is very good that they at first thnk about their own elites and only after some timeline will release seats to everybody else in *A. As I know SQ is doing it already looong time. LH high status is much harder to get and keep than any TK status, so they should honour their own elites above everybody else.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Most recent experiences indicate that the call center could not book Star Alliance awards due to technical errors in their system.
However, it might be fixed.
I have been trying for the past week, at different times of the day. No luck. I booked a AC flight last month by the call center, but since then most agents have been saying their system changed. They do not have an ETA for when the problem will be fixed. None of the Turkish Airlines ticket offices known for booking award tickets over e-mail respond either Has anyone had any recent luck?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Raul_R
LH O (award F) is as common to be accessible for Miles&More members only until T-14.
LX O (award F) is awailable ONLY for Miles&More Senators and HON members. Nobody else can get the F award seat at all.
Upgrades are a bit different story.

As the F cabins are very small -- just 8 seats and they usually also manage to sell them as revenue seats very well, I personally see it is very good that they at first thnk about their own elites and only after some timeline will release seats to everybody else in *A. As I know SQ is doing it already looong time. LH high status is much harder to get and keep than any TK status, so they should honour their own elites above everybody else.
The problem documented in this thread isn't getting availability. The problem here is that even though TK is able to book LH O at T-14, they are unable to issue the ticket since a few weeks back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.