Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Gnopps, while I don’t have an answer to your question, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for your LH F flight!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I want to book LH F but have to wait until 2 weeks out to see if availability opens up. As a backup I want to have another route booked in C using TK-miles.

If F opens up TK will have to cancel the C-award and use those miles for the F-award.

Does anyone know if TK can do this (knowing how "competent" their IT-systens are)? Will they be able to refund the C-award and directly use the miles on another award?

There seems to be a person who did this in this thread a few years back but I'd like to hear more experiences.
For *A awards, they should be refundable with a 25 USD penalty fee, but you might need to visit a sales office as the hotline may not able to refund a *A award ticket.

This is what the TK website states about canceling or changing an award ticket.

Reservation changes
  • For a period of one year after an award ticket or companion ticket has been issued, and on the condition the flight is operated by Turkish Airlines, and that the change is still within the same award region and reservation class, flight times, dates and routes can be changed for a fee. The taxes and charges resulting from a change in route will be paid by the member.
  • When making changes to companion tickets, it must be remembered that the companion must fly with the paying member on the outbound route.
  • TRY 50 is collected in domestic flights and USD 25 is collected in international flights per transaction.
  • In case of no-show and offload, reissuing costs TRY 100 in domestic flights and USD 50 for award tickets.*
  • On domestic tickets with an international connection, the international change fee will be charged, even if changes are only made to the domestic reservation.
Miles refund
  • The Miles for award tickets, companion tickets and upgrade awards which have had no legs used may be refunded to a member's account for a fee. Refunded Miles will have the same expiration date as when they were first earned. Airport taxes are subject to normal refund procedure.
  • TRY 50 is collected in domestic flights and USD 25 is collected in international flights per transaction.
  • In case of no-show and offload, refunding costs TRY 100 in domestic flights and USD 25 for Miles refund in award tickets.*
  • In normal tickets upgraded with Miles, pre-flight cancelation costs TRY 50 per transaction in domestic flights and USD 25 in international flights; while in case of no-show, TRY 100 is collected in domestic flights and USD 50 is collected in international flights per transaction.
  • Changes to passenger plans and Miles refunds must be processed at Turkish Airlines sales offices and a Miles&Smiles membership card must be presented. Travel agents do not have authorization to carry out these transactions.
*No-show and offload: This is where despite making a reservation and having a ticket issued, a passenger does not check in on time or does not present the necessary documentation to fly. In this situation, a no-show fee will be charged.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...rds/index.html
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I want to book LH F but have to wait until 2 weeks out to see if availability opens up. As a backup I want to have another route booked in C using TK-miles.

If F opens up TK will have to cancel the C-award and use those miles for the F-award.

Does anyone know if TK can do this (knowing how "competent" their IT-systens are)? Will they be able to refund the C-award and directly use the miles on another award?

There seems to be a person who did this in this thread a few years back but I'd like to hear more experiences.
I experienced a similar situation in late December 2018 and had to wait few weeks for miles to be refunded (this even after urgencies and help from the office issuing my ticket). My case was C-to-C routing change.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

Definitely not immediate. I cancelled a *A award recently and had to visit/email a sales office. Hotline cannot cancel *A awards. Took approximately one week for the miles to be refunded.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Can I cancel TK award (Miles) via the hotline or do I need to see a sales office as well ?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by no_idea
Can I cancel TK award (Miles) via the hotline or do I need to see a sales office as well ?
If the flight is operated by TK, I believe the hotline is able to process the refund. If the flight is operated by another carrier, you need to visit a sales office.
no_idea and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by no_idea
I had no issues cancelling a partner award via hotline a few months ago. Miles were back into my account within 2 days.
no_idea likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
According to 2 different agents from the English call center, since the last system update they can't see anymore any Award flight except the one from TK, the website is not working as usual so the only option left is to visit a sale office...

1 step forward, 2 step backward as usual with TK
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

Definitely not immediate. I cancelled a *A award recently and had to visit/email a sales office. Hotline cannot cancel *A awards. Took approximately one week for the miles to be refunded.
Odd. The first time I called to change a *A award (on UA), I was told it couldn't be done over the phone. I called again to get the award I wanted on hold and then hung up. Then I called again and cancelled my original award over the phone for $25 per passenger and the miles were immediately available (as the phone agent told me they would be - I refreshed the app on my phone to see the miles back). I ticketed the held itinerary using the same miles in a single phone call. Odd that experiences differ here.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by pvgman
According to 2 different agents from the English call center, since the last system update they can't see anymore any Award flight except the one from TK, the website is not working as usual so the only option left is to visit a sale office...

1 step forward, 2 step backward as usual with TK
I ticketed an award on UA today.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by NickatFM
I ticketed an award on UA today.
Which number did you call? and congratulations!

To Follow up on my last post,

I contacted the Barcelona TK office, I used to deal with them in the past and they were very efficient, now the new agent told me to call the hotline despite my explanation regarding the impossibility to book Award with them,

As I am in Shanghai, I have been to the TK office here, they say they couldn't book the Air China flight I wanted because their system is not connect with Air China... I ended up booking an LH flight.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: CX
Has anyone managed to get a Lufthansa first class award recently? Or F from any carrier? The last successful attempt in this thread was on Nov 14, 2018 for LH. Somehow, someone managed to get a mixed cabin, mixed carrier with NH first class on Aug 21, 2018.

I checked for saver availability on UA's website and was able to make a reservation with a TK call centre agent. She was not able to price it. She tried a different date with lots of availability but was still unsuccessful. She forwarded the request to the "help desk" and said that they will call me within 2 hours. Never heard back. Called dozens of agents at different times of day and got different responses on why they can't price it. Some flat out said that they can only issue economy and business class tickets. Some were not even familiar with the concept of first class fares.

Then came the system upgrade on Sunday morning and the call centre is no longer able to see any *A flights. No new reservations can be made. The only option is to go to a ticket office. I called 3 agents today and they said the system is still down.

So, I went to the ticket office in Toronto (don't bother calling; they don't pick up the phone if you don't know the extension). The agent was more knowledgeable and was able to make a new reservation (original one expired). However, he couldn't price it either. According to him, O fares were not loaded in TK system. He showed me a screen with X and I fares for that flight but there were indeed no O fares. We tried a different route (FRA-PVG) and had the same problem: could make the booking but unable to price. We tried business class and was able to price the ticket. So, something is up with LH O class. At least the agent was honest in saying that the call centre is unlikely to help me further.

If anyone is successful in getting LH O tickets, please share any tips and tricks!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
LH F is hard to find with any of the partners. TK is no exception, but the additional hoops make it harder.

I managed to get an LH F “O” reservation (even showed up in the app) for my mom early this year, but couldn’t get hold of the local office to get the thing ticketed/paid for in time. Would have loved to treat her to the experience.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:34 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just a remark that all English-speaking TK call centers use a pool system so if you're looking help in English, the Turkish number +90 444 0 849, the USA number, the UK number or etc... would make no difference.
That's the reason why they are totally useless ! Tonight I've been told that they can only book TK awards.
A big improvement
How TK can be that bad ?
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: CX
The system has been down for booking *A awards since 22 September. If it is for economy or business class awards, it is possible to book in person at a TK ticket office.

As for booking a first class ticket, I gave up after calling more than 30 times and visiting the ticket office. I submitted an online form and got a reply that it is not possible to book first class tickets and they will notify the relevant department to update their website. My guess is that they are just as confused. Hopefully TK can create a better online booking system for *A awards so that we don't have to deal with all this nonsense. The online tool for booking TK awards isn't bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.