Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
No harm in asking another sales office, but in my experience, the sales offices usually know what they are doing (as opposed to the hotline). I think you are unlikely to get a different answer.
Thank you. That's exactly what I figured someone here would know. Was wondering how long to spin my wheels vs just getting the backup plan booked. Appreciate the response.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NickatFM
Thank you. That's exactly what I figured someone here would know. Was wondering how long to spin my wheels vs just getting the backup plan booked. Appreciate the response.
You are welcome. I know you mentioned that you wouldn't want to publish the planned itinerary. However, people here might be able to help and offer advice if we know a bit more about your planned itinerary. Up to you
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

You are welcome. I know you mentioned that you wouldn't want to publish the planned itinerary. However, people here might be able to help and offer advice if we know a bit more about your planned itinerary. Up to you
I'm sure you could. Can't right now.

If I can, I'll tag one more question: What are the routing rules apart from 4 segments on a one-way? From what I've read, there's no MPM and backtracking is OK. Is there a max connect time? Possible I'm just going over that and can adjust something in between.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, TK*EPL, A3*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ttep
Not a trick per se.. Just the pricing that you're already aware of.

I put my little sister and her fiance on this via ICN in July this year. I can see some avail next year on UA

Good luck
​​​
I see. How much do they charge in miles and cash for HNL-ICN-SYD (however I'm interested in SYD-ICN-HNL, but just curious about fees)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Hello All. I am hoping that someone can help me with these questions:

What is the cost in M&S miles for a one-way award in United First Class that is entirely within the USA (i.e., a domestic award)? I think it is either 12.5k or 20k miles, but am not sure which.

I believe the Turkish Airlines San Francisco ticket office is actually their ticket counter at SFO, and that it is open daily from 2 to 5 PM. Am I correct? Has anyone visited this ticket office in person to book an award ticket and, if so, what was your experience like?

Has anyone booked a ticket using M&S miles to fly United from SFO to HNL or OGG? How many miles did it cost you?

I read through most of this forum, but I didn’t see any of the information I am seeking. Thanks in advance for any answers!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Paul5795
Hello All. I am hoping that someone can help me with these questions:

What is the cost in M&S miles for a one-way award in United First Class that is entirely within the USA (i.e., a domestic award)? I think it is either 12.5k or 20k miles, but am not sure which.

I believe the Turkish Airlines San Francisco ticket office is actually their ticket counter at SFO, and that it is open daily from 2 to 5 PM. Am I correct? Has anyone visited this ticket office in person to book an award ticket and, if so, what was your experience like?

Has anyone booked a ticket using M&S miles to fly United from SFO to HNL or OGG? How many miles did it cost you?

I read through most of this forum, but I didn’t see any of the information I am seeking. Thanks in advance for any answers!
First I would like to mention that there should be Saver Award availability in order to issue award tickets on United with Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles points. You could simply look at availability via the United website and ask available flights from the TK sales office representative.

It's really hard to find UA Domestic First Saver award tickets so your chances to book a flight in UA First with M&S miles are almost none.

I am not sure if there is a city office at SFO but the airport office should also be helpful in your case.

A round trip US domestic flight would cost 20.000 in Economy and 30.000 in Domestic First regardless of the route. One-way tickets would cost %50 of the round-trip amounts. So, a SFO-LAX flight and a SFO-EWR flight cost the same.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I am not sure if there is a city office at SFO but the airport office should also be helpful in your case.
That is correct, there is no other city office in San Francisco
The only "office" is the ticketing counter at the airport, located next to the check-in counters for the daily TK80 flight.
Obviously, only open during check-in times for the aforementioned flight.

I never used them to buy a ticket (they seem to be most busy with collecting payments for overweight baggage).

I have booked all my Star Alliance award flights via the hotline - just be prepared to give them the exact flight numbers you want to book. Payment via hotline is also possible now.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:46 pm

Is it not possible to book flights on Turkish metal via the website? For example I just searched for a Cun-Ist flight on Turkish metal for a date in October for for 45k miles on way. I just wanted to know if I can ticket this entirely online before I transfer the miles.

Also is there a list somewhere of the ticketing offices that are located stateside?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
Is it not possible to book flights on Turkish metal via the website? For example I just searched for a Cun-Ist flight on Turkish metal for a date in October for for 45k miles on way. I just wanted to know if I can ticket this entirely online before I transfer the miles.
Also is there a list somewhere of the ticketing offices that are located stateside?
Sure, if there is availability and if the flight(s) are on TK metal there should be no issue to buy the ticket entirely online. I have done it many times.
You can find a list of sales offices here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u.../get-in-touch/
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:52 pm

Sure, if there is availability and if the flight(s) are on TK metal there should be no issue to buy the ticket entirely online. I have done it many times.
You can find a list of sales offices here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u.../get-in-touch/
I was under the impression that you still have to go to the ticketing office or email them certain information after booking a flight on TK metal online, is that not correct?

Any specific office people recommend that will ticket over email? Is the one in Toronto considered the better one? Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:05 pm

I was under the impression that you still have to go to the ticketing office or email them certain information after booking a flight on TK metal online, is that not correct?

Any specific office people recommend that will ticket over email? Is the one in Toronto considered the better one? Thanks for the quick reply!
No need to send anything to the sales office - it can all be done online. As I mentioned, have done it myself many times. For flights on TK metal the process works very well!
For flights on Star Alliance members (non-TK) the website is buggy, but hotline works well - you can even do payment via the phone (which previously had to be done at the sales office for non-TK flights - maybe this is what you are referring to).
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by NickatFM
I'm sure you could. Can't right now.

If I can, I'll tag one more question: What are the routing rules apart from 4 segments on a one-way? From what I've read, there's no MPM and backtracking is OK. Is there a max connect time? Possible I'm just going over that and can adjust something in between.
I got different answers from hotline (on the phone) and IAD sales office (via email). Neither was familiar with the rules. :-( I am figuring out that the max allowed connection times on domestic US itinerary is 4 hours since I was quoted double the miles for a 4.5 hour connection on United metal, i.e. each United segment was priced at 7,500. Same itinerary on a different day but with only 1.5 hour connection priced at 7,500 total.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:18 am

No need to send anything to the sales office - it can all be done online. As I mentioned, have done it myself many times. For flights on TK metal the process works very well!
For flights on Star Alliance members (non-TK) the website is buggy, but hotline works well - you can even do payment via the phone (which previously had to be done at the sales office for non-TK flights - maybe this is what you are referring to).
You seem to be calling the Elite hotline from what I gather from your posts, I don't have any status with Turkish so will the ticketing over phone still work if I called the regular hotline.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:30 am

You seem to be calling the Elite hotline from what I gather from your posts, I don't have any status with Turkish so will the ticketing over phone still work if I called the regular hotline.
Hm, maybe others can chip in - I had status with TK for years... but I don't see any reason (and have never heard) that the ability to ticket over the phone is dependent on the status.

In any case, if your flight is on TK metal, you can book your award ticket also via app and website. It works well as long as all flights are on TK.
Why don't you do a "dummy booking" via the website to see if flights are available etc before transferring your miles?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:13 am

Hm, maybe others can chip in - I had status with TK for years... but I don't see any reason (and have never heard) that the ability to ticket over the phone is dependent on the status.

In any case, if your flight is on TK metal, you can book your award ticket also via app and website. It works well as long as all flights are on TK.
Why don't you do a "dummy booking" via the website to see if flights are available etc before transferring your miles?
That is what I will do, thanks again for your help!
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.