Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Hello, I am transiting IST with a 20 hour nighttime layover. Can I tag my bags only through to IST from IAD and not to my final destination (BUS). I understand that this would involve picking up the bags, going through customs. Thanks for any help about this. Also, I am OW ruby (AA kifetime 1 million gold); any chance of getting TK status; could this my done at the desk in the international departure hall?

Last edited by cagcag; Jan 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:38 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello, I am transiting IST with a 20 hour nighttime layover. Can I tag my bags only through to IST from IAD and not to my final destination (BUS). I understand that this would involve picking up the bags, going through customs. Thanks for any help about this. Also, I am OW ruby (AA kifetime 1 million gold); any chance of getting TK status; could this my done at the desk in the international departure hall?
You should be able to tag to IST only. You cannot apply for a status match at the airport. Check the status match FAQ thread for more info.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:29 pm

Thanks weezl and nighthawkrs for the valuable info. I guess I will check my luggages all the way through and spend time in HSBC lounge. I will be flying in two weeks and guess it will not be enough time for status match to happen. Anyway, will try anyways. Thanks.

Originally Posted by weezl
You may be able to use the sleep room in the THY lounge, so if you need stuff from your checked in luggage, consider interrupting it in IST. It may be less risk of baggage connection mess if you just check it in all the way through.
Originally Posted by nighthawkrs
If you don't have any *G and with a booking only in coach, thats right.
TK CIP Lounge is indeed by far the best lounge at IST, but any lounge is better then hanging around at the gate for so many hours

What you could try is a status match with TK. The match quite a lot, nearly any OW or ST mid/top level and EY GoldELite as well.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
CIP Lounge Access

I am awaiting elite status match from TK; unfortunately, the elite status match has not yet materialized before my travel in Y on TK. I have several "United Club: One time passes" , obtained through United Chase Credit Card. Will I be able to enter the CIP lounge with these UA passes? If not, are there ary other lounges in IST that will accomodate me? The "elite M&S call center stated that I could enter the CIP with my elite OW card, but this seems to be incorrect. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:45 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Carry-on not allowed at gangway in DUS

Two weeks ago, a colleague was carrying a fragile parcel from DUS-SIN. Check-in said "no issue", neither did the counter at the gate.
On the gangway was a TK staff who said the parcel was too big, but as my colleague was the last on board he was not issued a baggage tag for the parcel. And that was the last he saw of the parcel.

Emails sent to TK and lost baggage request submitted - nothing heard so far.

Anybody knows if its common to NOT issue a baggage tag when a suitcase/item is not allowed on board?

If it does end up as "lost" what options does the colleague have?

Tried to search for the TK office number at DUS but websites seem to only offer the Customer Care number for Germany.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:45 pm

No.You can't enter without being *G or in C.

None the less,the Millennium & Prime Class are pay lounges.Word has it that the Millennium has bunk beds.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:32 pm

TK Tel Nr.DUS

Hi Gilbertaue

For the AirportOffice i found only a Fax Nr.: +49 211 4791970

the Office in Town has Tel.: +49 211 3854260 Fax Nr.: +49 211 382158

Reg.

B707
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Carry-on baggage and IAD check-in question

I will by flying IAD-IST-ARN in a few days.

I will have a 21x14x9 rollaboard as well as a very small laptop bag.

I'll be arriving into IAD on a UA flight 3 hours before IAD-IST departure (separate ticket).

1. Would both my carryons be permitted on the TK flights (A340 and A330)? Are the overhead bins large enough to accommodate the rollaboard? Does TK allow 2 such pieces for carry-on? (I'm a *G flying in economy)

2. Assuming I can carry on both pieces, does TK require that I check in at the main terminal (thus having to exit and reclear security), or could I just check in directly at the gate (and thus be able to spend more time at the VS lounge )?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
1. Would both my carryons be permitted on the TK flights (A340 and A330)? Are the overhead bins large enough to accommodate the rollaboard? Does TK allow 2 such pieces for carry-on? (I'm a *G flying in economy)
One piece of cabin baggage for economy, *G does not give you anything extra. 8kg max and dimensions not to exceed 23x40x55 cm. However a small laptop bag can be also be brought on.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
One piece of cabin baggage for economy, *G does not give you anything extra. 8kg max and dimensions not to exceed 23x40x55 cm. However a small laptop bag can be also be brought on.
Thanks starflyergold. A 21x14x9-in rollaboard falls within the 23x40x55-cm limit, so I guess that will be okay, and it will have only clothing, so weight should probably also be okay.

I just realized that on my return, the ARN-IST sector is an A321; while the rollaboard should fit in overheads on the A330/340's, are the A321 bins large enough to accommodate easily, or would it eat up an entire bin's worth of space?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Checked baggage allowance

We are flying on J award ticket (thanks Award Nexus!!!) in June on TK YYZ IST and connecting domestically on TK to DLM

In J on TK the checked baggage allowance is 30 kg, but there is a special rule that allows two pieces of 32 kg each between Canada and Turkey.

Question - will this special allowance hold for the flight from IST to DLM, as it is a direct connection from the YYZ IST flight?

Not so worried on the return as we are meeting friends to go sailing and want to bring some special food and drink items as a thank you, so will be lighter on the return trip.

As an aside, is it a problem to bring in canned food, packaged items like crackers, liquids (maple syrup) and sauces, etc. in checked baggage? Of course everything will be manufactured and in original closed containers.

I will bring a couple of bottles of spirits and would also like to bring a few bottles of wine. I know the allowance is 1 L spirits OR 2 L wine, but will they really care?

Also, just to confirm, if I walk off the plane with 1 L of spirit, I can buy another bottle at IST in the arrivals hall?

Finally, anyone have a link to the prices at IST int'l arrives duty free?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:05 am

Check through luggage with seperate PNR

Hi All,

New to TK (elite status) and I have a couple questions on TK and luggage. I will be doing BEG-IST (12hr layover) IST-LAX then LAX-YVR on Alaska with a separate PNR.

1. Am I able to claim my luggage at IST and check it back in before my connecting flight? If so, how far in advance?

2. Will TK check through your luggage to final destination if you have 2 PNR`s. I would prefer to use the connecting intl baggage drop at LAX, rather than lug my stuff to the next terminal.

3. Should I bother to see if I can use the suites at the lounge or just go directly for the free hotel (already have Visa)? Ideally I think I would rather just crash at the lounge, have a shower, light lunch then be on my way. Based on the lounge forum, it sounds like policy is for me to use the hotel, but would like to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
what does this mean ?

Free baggage allowance is 30 kg for Economy Class and 50 kg. for Business Class from Odessa to Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece and Portugal
Does it mean all flights originating from Odessa ?
All all flights from Greece, portugal......
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
ok only from odessa
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:55 pm

Good Day,

I am currently Miles&More FTL (*A Silver) and TK Elite (*A Gold).

Following problems as I haven't flown as much as intended:
-I will not be able to requalify for TK Elite, so I will be downgraded to Classic Plus (*A Silver)
-Since I put my miles on TK, I will lose my Miles&More *A Silver benefits, too.

So in a year from now, I will be TK Silver and LH "nothing".

I usually fly LH/OS/LO/LX, airlines which would allow me to use my LH *A Silver card for lounges, but would I be able to use other carriers *A Silver lounges with my TK Classic Plus Card when I travel with another *A Carrier than TK (which I usually do?).

The lounges are quite important for me, so if there is no way to get in in LH/OS/LO/LX Silver lounges with my TK Classic Plus Card, I will try to generate some segments on my LH account, in order to keep the Silver Status (30 are needed).

If however my TK *A Silver Card allows me to enter LH/LX/OS/LO Silver lounges, then I don't mind to loose my LH status completely...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.