Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by nissan720
Your 30kg each will need to be broken down per person.

They don't care how many bags per person 1x30kg, 2x15kg, 3x10kg, or 1x10kg+1x20kg so long as the total weight per person is 30kg.

I don't think they will let one of you check 20kg and the other person check 40kg (their 30 + 10 remaining from the first limit).
but we are travelling together 3 bags 20 kg each and ticket is issued together for both pax
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jakas
Quote:

Originally Posted by nissan720

Your 30kg each will need to be broken down per person.

They don't care how many bags per person 1x30kg, 2x15kg, 3x10kg, or 1x10kg+1x20kg so long as the total weight per person is 30kg.

I don't think they will let one of you check 20kg and the other person check 40kg (their 30 + 10 remaining from the first limit).

but we are travelling together 3 bags 20 kg each and ticket is issued together for both pax
You should not have a problem. We didn't.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
thanks much
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LuvKLM
Does anyone have any experience on how lenient THY is with checked and carry-on luggage weight?

We are coming to IST on BA with 23kg allowance (Y) and then flying IST-NAV on THY and the ticket says 15kg. Will they let it slip if we have 18kg bags? Do they weigh carryons?

Thanks!
To answer my own question - THY checkin people were super friendly and did not care that we were both over by 2-3 kg.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
23kg or 20kg??

I have just priced up a return flight (BHX-IST) and my baggage allowance states 23kg. However, on the Turkish website their baggage policy states 20kg. Does anyone have an idea on which allowance is correct and also how much extra baggage an Elite member gets (20kg more or 1 piece more upto 23kg)?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: LH M&M
Baggage Allowance

Here is extract of E-Ticket from TK's website.

GOTHENBURG(GOT)
ISTANBUL(IST) TK 1800 T 06MAR 17:40 46K OK
*ISTANBUL(IST)
LAHORE(LHE) TK 0714 T 07MAR 20:00 46K OK

---------

And Extract from Booking website (external),

Applies to: GOT-LHE
Baggage Allowance+: 46 Kilograms
1st Bag +: CHGS MAY APPLY IF BAGS EXCEED TTL WT ALLOWANCE
2nd Bag +: CHGS MAY APPLY IF BAGS EXCEED TTL WT ALLOWANCE

Does this mean that I have 46 Kg baggage allowance for the whole trip i.e. 23 kg each?

Or I am missing something?

This is my first time with TK. Traveling 4 persons and each person has same information on his e-ticket.

Please help me understand this. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:01 am

Anyone have any tips for the best pair of seats in business on the A340?

I recall once reading in a trip report that there is a lot of light in the front of the cabin from the galley. Anyone with any experience?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by killuminati
Anyone have any tips for the best pair of seats in business on the A340?

I recall once reading in a trip report that there is a lot of light in the front of the cabin from the galley. Anyone with any experience?
Not sure what time of day/legnth of flight you are in, but we had 1DE on a dinnertime flight (No sleep for us), and it was a great seat to be in.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:47 pm

TK J Seat questions

I've yet to fly on TK. I've done some research but could use some help from the board ...

Need to fly to BKK from YUL. Was about to pay for TK J but need some help. Can't believe in 2014 an airline like TK offers such differing products in J.

1. A333 J is flat. A332J is not flat. Wouldn't it be a swell idea for TK to be a little more descriptive than "A330" in the flight detail if they're not going to offer a similar product? Is YUL-IST the A333 or 332? Are swaps common?

02. Are there plans to update 343 to flat J? (My flight is not until Nov)

Currently YUL-IST-BKK-IST-YUL is showing 330/330/343/330 on the dates I need. If there are refurb plans for 343 and the "330" to YUL is the A333, I'd like to try TK. If not, or unsure, I will just book LX.

Having angle flats in J in 2014 is very weak IMO.

Thanks for any info
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Currently YUL-IST-BKK-IST-YUL is showing 330/330/343/330 on the dates I need. If there are refurb plans for 343 and the "330" to YUL is the A333, I'd like to try TK. If not, or unsure, I will just book LX.
Can't answer your specific questions, but if you read the TK forum you'd know that Turkish is notorious for changing equipment, sometimes on the very last minute, so the only definite answer to your question is "unsure".

Having said that, people here love the on-flight service and the IST lounge, so you may want to give TK a chance. But not if the seat is the most important factor to you.

Shuly
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I've yet to fly on TK. I've done some research but could use some help from the board ...

Need to fly to BKK from YUL. Was about to pay for TK J but need some help. Can't believe in 2014 an airline like TK offers such differing products in J.

1. A333 J is flat. A332J is not flat. Wouldn't it be a swell idea for TK to be a little more descriptive than "A330" in the flight detail if they're not going to offer a similar product? Is YUL-IST the A333 or 332? Are swaps common?

02. Are there plans to update 343 to flat J? (My flight is not until Nov)

Having angle flats in J in 2014 is very weak IMO.

Thanks for any info

flightaware.com may be your best bet on this occasion, but even then it just shows a history of aircrafts operated on the route. You are most likely to see 80-90% of the time the particular flight is operated by one aircraft and the rest with various types. Nothing is guaranteed with TK.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:00 pm

If I have a 12 hour layover in IST, flying FCO-IST-PEK, can I go into the city, buy goods at the Spice Bazaar, then upon my return, check in additional luggage (presumably with goods from the Spice Bazaar)?

I'll have other bags checked through to PEK. I'm assuming if that as long as I don't exceed the 30 kg per person threshold I should be ok?

Do I need any other documents for exploring Istanbul and returning to the lounge besides my passport, Turkish tourist visa, and boarding pass?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:24 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Turkish opened its first international lounge in Moscow Vnukovo's (VKO) new Terminal A last week. The airline's CEO justified the move by saying that it made sense in light of the flight volume. VKO's lounge holds up to 150 guests and is open 24/7.

Turkish next plans to open a lounge at JFK.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...ational-lounge
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Turkish opened its first international lounge in Moscow Vnukovo's (VKO) new Terminal A last week. The airline's CEO justified the move by saying that it made sense in light of the flight volume. VKO's lounge holds up to 150 guests and is open 24/7.

Turkish next plans to open a lounge at JFK.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...ational-lounge
JFK is well overdue. Interested to read they plan lounges at LHR and FRA.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Interested to read they plan lounges at LHR and FRA.
Very interesting indeed:
Turkish CEO Temel Kotil told ATW it makes sense to establish an airport lounge at “any destination where we go with narrowbody aircraft five to six times a day—or on long-haul service two times per day."
This means that TLV can come next, with up to 8 daily flights now (of which one is usually a widebody). TK is the largest foreign airline at TLV.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.