Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish Airlines General Rant Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I like TK. I flew with them 2 time CPH-IST-HKG in Y. Nice new aircraft, especially the 737-900 for CPH-IST. 3 hr flight with personal IFE - it's not normal in Europe.

The food is good (the one that handled by DO&CO). The amenity kit in Y is the best I have received so far.

FA - I don't know what to say, they vary a lot just like other airlines. I have met some that don't speak English, some that speak good English, some friendly ones and some unfriendly ones. You can find a AF FA that 'refuses' to speak English, which I have also met too.

Not to mention the 100% EQM you get for flying TK discounted Y.

One advice I will give - TK is very poor at handling baggage delay or damage. So if you want compensation, get yourself a good travel insurance.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thyeri

And to go back to Turkish. Come on, I was flying International First and the FA in that cabin did not speak English. How come am I supposed to find that normal !?
But when it comes to denying the Armenian genocide I am sure then they can do it in English.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by thyeri
And to go back to Turkish. Come on, I was flying International First and the FA in that cabin did not speak English. How come am I supposed to find that normal !?
they probably chose not to speak English... so they won't be bothered by PAX demands like getting a drink....

I've flown CA, NH and OZ domestic (along with all the European airlines) and they all speak English.... not to mention it's requirement for the pilots.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Holy smoke....

Why is this thread in AC forum? Just because it is an AP award ticket?

Personally, like many others, I have flown TK in CC many times and no problem with their service (air & ground) at all.

Understand OP issue is really about the flight delay, and oh well, sh*t happens.

Back to OP's question, if you are still there, and don't expect to get on the next flight for another, say 4+ hours. You can get hotel room, but you have to get a VISA (assume Canadian passport) exit custom. Look for Starbucks on the right, where you will see a THY office. That's where you can request for hotel, but you better go prepared (and those guys can only answer yes and no questions in English)

Because my expectation was not too high about the staff at THY 'hotel desk' after reading posting at FT. I guess I was they were OK, other than I was told to wait for 15 minutes and turns into about an hour. At the end get a decent hotel room for free + shuttle.

If your delay is less than 4+ hours, try to get one of the resting room at IST lounge. (Don't be ticked off if they are full, and there is no waiting list. Be warned)

I will be flying TK again in a few weeks... and I'm looking forward to it.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
But when it comes to denying the Armenian genocide I am sure then they can do it in English.
I really dont have the time of day for turkish denials of the Armenian genocide. However there is a time and place for discussing it, and this is not the fora for it. Stop politicizing a thoroughly non political thread. OP recirced poor customer service and has every right to vent about it. That, however, is unrelated to the Turkish political stance on one of the saddest events in history.

I ve noticed how you pop up on every TK thread here with the 737 story. You really have it in for them, don't you? As much as I believe that you re entitled to hating Turks/TK/anyone daring to offer a better product than AC collectively, dragging out provocative politicized issues on this forum is unacceptable. It amounts to little more than an ethnic wind up.

As for the OP, sorry to hear about your experience, but I hear that there has been heavy snow in Europe - has that affected Turkey?

If not, maybe the delay was caused by an experienced pilot taking his fully loaded A330 off the taxiway at his hub airport (remember that, Stranger? )? Personally I am more forgiving of the weather than of bad taxiing.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
When I flew TK last year in J for my SIN-IST leg, I found the overall product to be mediocre.

Perhaps it was just the plane I was in, but the cabin had a distinct "funky" smell. The food was borderline inedible and the FA's were efficient but not very friendly. The seats themselves were fine.

Given the choice, no, I wouldn't take TK again.
Sounds like you might have been flying LH.

Do&Co is renowned for top notch catering, so is it possible that the food was, in fact, edible, but not to your taste? Or was it like AC's transatlantic Y breakfast muffin (in which case you have my sympathy- and I won't be touching TK with a barge pole)?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:08 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
While I try to sympathize with the OP's situation, his overly dramatic first post followed by the facts that it was just a delay after all, was not only anti-climactic, but also naturally invites the response "so what, get over it" IMHO.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yulred

I ve noticed how you pop up on every TK thread here with the 737 story. You really have it in for them, don't you? As much as I believe that you re entitled to hating Turks/TK/anyone daring to offer a better product than AC collectively, dragging out provocative politicized issues on this forum is unacceptable. It amounts to little more than an ethnic wind up.

Eh, if AF were part of the Star Alliance, I would would bring up the issue of AF safety just the same. I have regularly brought up similar issues with SQ. Again if KL were part of Star, I might even have brought up their chief pilot's arogance and the Teneriffe crash. altough that's getting a bit old.

But really, what gets me going is the "service" vs. safety tradeoff and how I see the talk being overwhelmingly one-sided. When arguably one should look at the overall package.

BTW, another interesting one is the EK Melbourne 340 close call. Damn lucky they were. And from what I hear, there were company policy issues involved.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by nomad1974
I doubt this will work with TK and to be honest it shouldn't have to come to that at a professional level.
So it is unacceptable to advise someone who is German to say "Please" to a US airline? Being polite and/or endearing is always advisable IMHO.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:15 am

you get what you paid for...... no YQ for a reason lol
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
SQ has no YQ and they are the best airline in *A......
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Stranger
But really, what gets me going is the "service" vs. safety tradeoff and how I see the talk being overwhelmingly one-sided. When arguably one should look at the overall package.
And Southwest's roof blew off, and in 1997, an Air Canada CRJ crash landed (thankfully with no fatalities) due to "inadequate emergency training of the flight crew".... I dont see how those events are relevant to the thousands of flights that take off everyday. Not to mention our own Somewhat Scary thread that doesnt exactly make AC look good.

Its like the people who will not fly Aeroflot - because they had crashes in the 80s
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You really need to take a ride on their 777s in J and visit the lounge in Istanbul....
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
What about LX?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You really need to take a ride on their 777s in J and visit the lounge in Istanbul....
ummm..... standard herringbone...... whats new?

lounge from youtube looks impressive.... then again, coming from North America, most stuff outside looks better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.