Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish Airlines General Rant Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: CX Gold, AC Elite, SPG, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by toflyer
Doing the mini RTW right now and am stuck in Istanbul. Just wanted to send this message to people who are contemplating booking on Turkish - Don't!

Toronto Istanbul hard product in business was excellent but customer service/cabin crew really needed some training.

And it all just went downhill here in Istanbul. More to follow.
I have flown TK in C class 4x and will fly comfort class in March.
I love the airline, the new lounge in IST is amazing and the food and personal touch are wonderful. IST to TLV is another story -- short flight so who cares but long haul on TK has been really a wonderful experience.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:31 am
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by trolly2012
I have flown TK in C class 4x and will fly comfort class in March.
I love the airline, the new lounge in IST is amazing and the food and personal touch are wonderful. IST to TLV is another story -- short flight so who cares but long haul on TK has been really a wonderful experience.
Ditto... have flown TK a number of times as has my wife with my 8yr old before and service was excellent. Would not hesitate to use them again... actually, have a trip booked on TK later this year. However, I wish they would release more the just 2 business class awards on a flights!

ZH
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by toflyer
Doing the mini RTW right now and am stuck in Istanbul. Just wanted to send this message to people who are contemplating booking on Turkish - Don't!

Toronto Istanbul hard product in business was excellent but customer service/cabin crew really needed some training.

And it all just went downhill here in Istanbul. More to follow.
It sucks indeed!
I flew HKG-IST in First and cabin crew did not speak English...
I won't fly TK ever again, unless I have to chose between United and Turkish of course
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
My experience on TK with respect to service on the ground and in the air in business class has been exemplary. Have flown Istanbul - London on a few occasions. Had a ticket problem once in Istanbul. Our records did not match theirs for one of our group of 3. They said don't worry we will sort this out. Went to the side had somewhat of an excited conversation. One person went away for about 10 minutes with all our paperwork. Came back Don't know what the issues were but the problem was resolved. Cabin was spotless. Service was good. Liked the entertainment system and camera that allowed you to watch the landing. Like others say, great lounge. Would fly TK again without hesitation.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thyeri
It sucks indeed!
I flew HKG-IST in First and cabin crew did not speak English...
I won't fly TK ever again, unless I have to chose between United and Turkish of course
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too funny... unless you're serious? Surely, you can't be serious?

You were flying from a- a country which speaks Turkish, on b- an airline that speaks Turkish, to c- a country that speaks Cantonese... and you were upset that they didn't speak ENGLISH????

That's the kind of self-righteous attitude which gives North American tourists a bad name.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too funny... unless you're serious? Surely, you can't be serious?

You were flying from a- a country which speaks Turkish, on b- an airline that speaks Turkish, to c- a country that speaks Cantonese... and you were upset that they didn't speak ENGLISH????

1. English is also HK official language
2. I thought English language was a requirement for any airline
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals

That's the kind of self-righteous attitude which gives North American tourists a bad name.
So what you're saying is that crew on flights between non-English speaking countries should not speak English?! REALLY?!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:12 am

Once again...
And you can't use the North American tag on me, I lived in three continents and my passport is European.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Ahhh, those of us with less than pleasant memories of old Yesilkoy and Turk Halavi's "service" in 1963 are not surprised.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by thyeri

1. English is also HK official language
2. I thought English language was a requirement for any airline
2. Since when?

My Swiss FA on YUL-ZRH had limited command of English - and its was still stellar service.

Do you also expect domestic Chinese FAs to speak English, how about on a flight between GVA and ZRH?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by zorn
Do people think there is some sort of Heisenberg principle by which your observation of the position of the aircraft will somehow alter its momentum towards an earlier departure?
thanks for bringing back memories from good ol' high school
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Yeah, whatever.

For the record, I am not from North America and my native language is not English. But I do travel around the world and even though I speak a few I do not speak all the world's languages. So, if I am flying, say, NRT-BKK, yes, I do expect to be able to converse in English with the crew.

Not to mention the safety argument... See the article posted below in Politiken. Oh, and if you cannot read it in Danish, you can always use Google translate.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
When I flew TK last year in J for my SIN-IST leg, I found the overall product to be mediocre.

Perhaps it was just the plane I was in, but the cabin had a distinct "funky" smell. The food was borderline inedible and the FA's were efficient but not very friendly. The seats themselves were fine.

Given the choice, no, I wouldn't take TK again.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
THY

Flew with TK a month ago in their comfort class. The hard product was nice. However the FAs' less than friendly attitude gave me a chuckle, reminding me what someone in FT said THY = They Hate You.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
2. Since when?

My Swiss FA on YUL-ZRH had limited command of English - and its was still stellar service.

Do you also expect domestic Chinese FAs to speak English, how about on a flight between GVA and ZRH?
Chinese FAs do speak English on domestic routes, not all of them, but they make announcements in English even if there is only one laowai in the flight. Also, Air China FAs come greet elite passengers (*G) personally, and in English of course.

For GVA-ZRH, they speak English, French and German. Maybe not all of them master each of the three languages, but you can always find a FA who speak your favorite language.

And to go back to Turkish. Come on, I was flying International First and the FA in that cabin did not speak English. How come am I supposed to find that normal !?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.