Turkish Airlines General Rant Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
Unhappy Turkish Airlines General Rant Thread

Doing the mini RTW right now and am stuck in Istanbul. Just wanted to send this message to people who are contemplating booking on Turkish - Don't!

Toronto Istanbul hard product in business was excellent but customer service/cabin crew really needed some training.

And it all just went downhill here in Istanbul. More to follow.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Welcome to the TK general rant thread, please use this thread to post your general observations on TK mishaps in this thread.

Please be reminded that the purpose of FlyerTalk is to share helpful information and not just to complain. But we all know sometimes things can go wrong and that is the purpose of this thread.

The normal FlyerTalk rules still apply: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Last edited by starflyergold; Dec 5, 2013 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by toflyer
Doing the mini RTW right now and am stuck in Istanbul. Just wanted to send this message to people who are contemplating booking on Turkish - Don't!

Toronto Istanbul hard product in business was excellent but customer service/cabin crew really needed some training.

And it all just went downhill here in Istanbul. More to follow.
TK doesn't charge YQ though.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
TK's hard product, in flight service and catering are pretty good. The Istanbul lounge is one of the best lounges that I have been in. Their customer service on ground is another issue.

Would you care to elaborate on your experience as opposed to just telling us how much they suck?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sorry to hear that. I understand the new TK lounge in IST is one that even Joe Kickass would be impressed with.

Hope everything works out. Hopefully you'll have time to get to IST proper and see the sites.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then there is the safety issue.

Following would presumably need translating...

http://politiken.dk/erhverv/ECE14761...er-flyselskab/
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
oh please. I flew Turkish 7 times last year, all pleasant memories.

The only problem with TK is that sometimes IST is overcongested and it may lead to delays.

Otherwise, the food, the lounge, the 77W hard product, the free hotel/tour at IST for long layovers, all blow AC away.

And as mentioned, one of the last ways to get to Asia one-stop YQ free!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by becreative
TK's hard product, in flight service and catering are pretty good. The Istanbul lounge is one of the best lounges that I have been in. Their customer service on ground is another issue.

Would you care to elaborate on your experience as opposed to just telling us how much they suck?
I thought I will hold my thoughts for my (first) trip report but could not resist.

Our flight has already been 4 and a half hours delayed. We have been VERY patient but the ground staff (in the so called world class CIP lounge) lack any type of training or empathy. I have so far heard that the flight is delayed because of 1)weather (although other planes are taking off), 2) because the aircraft is not yet here from a) Narita, b) Singapore, c) it is here, d) there is no plane without any explanation and e) the most recent - Casablanca. the last one came out when we insisted we get a oncoming aircraft's flight number so we can track that plane online.

When asked if the flight will be further delayed and knowing that agents are just giving answers so people disappear, multiple agents at CIP lounge have told me "your flight is delayed, what am I supposed to do about it" in an annoyed tone. We were extremely patient and polite yet the agents gave us a lot of attitude.

I am not writing this because I have anything against Turkish Airlines. I know TK has no YQ and a lot of people might have had good service with them. If everything happens to go smoothly, then its all good. If there are any hiccups, good luck, because you can expect better customer service at McDonalds. Writing this in the spirit of FT. YMMV
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
the free hotel/tour at IST for long layovers, all blow AC away.
We have been at IST airport for 8 hours, where do I inquire about the free hotel?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: QF Gold
So, they're bad because your flight's delayed. Meh.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by toflyer
We have been at IST airport for 8 hours, where do I inquire about the free hotel?

If your connection in C is longer than 7 hours or 10 hours in Y - you get a free hotel.

I cant believe the staff in the lounge doesnt know when the delayed flight is leaving. That would NEVER happen with another airline! NEVER!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I actually think they raised a valid point.

Your flight is delayed. What can they do about it?

Do people think there is some sort of Heisenberg principle by which your observation of the position of the aircraft will somehow alter its momentum towards an earlier departure?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
So, they're bad because your flight's delayed. Meh.
^^^
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

I do hope the next time you get delayed, have a valid connection, and you ask what the status of your flight is, you get the answer " you flight is not here, what can I do about it"
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I cant believe the staff in the lounge doesnt know when the delayed flight is leaving. That would NEVER happen with another airline! NEVER!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.