Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by decentmove
Which kind of eco fare booking class shall one puchase in order to keep the return leg of a r/t itinerary (for which both legs shall be upgraded using the two available E+ vouchers) flexible in terms of the return date?
Booking class doesn’t really matter here but the RT leg ticket type (fare rules). You should buy a flexible RT leg. Take into consideration that you may encounter problems to make changes if your free voucher expires.
decentmove likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flyerby
I want to upgrade using an E+ voucher but I’m not going to have one only in a couple of months.
Can I upgrade now with miles and when I get a voucher switch to the voucher and redeposit the miles back in to my account?
There was J availability so I was easily able to exchange my miles upgrade with E+ free upgrade voucher. I did have to pay $25 to redeposit my miles.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold

There was J availability so I was easily able to exchange my miles upgrade with E+ free upgrade voucher. I did have to pay $25 to redeposit my miles.
good strategy! Didn’t consider that but I’ll give it a try.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Booking class doesn’t really matter here but the RT leg ticket type (fare rules). You should buy a flexible RT leg. Take into consideration that you may encounter problems to make changes if your free voucher expires.
Also, even if your Y ticket is flexible, that doesn't mean your J upgrade automatically applies to the new date...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Also, even if your Y ticket is flexible, that doesn't mean your J upgrade automatically applies to the new date...
Correct. You need J class availability. Anything higher than this won’t get you into J cabin.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Correct. You need J class availability. Anything higher than this won’t get you into J cabin.
Apart from the usual YMMV proviso attached to everything to do with TK.

But, of course, you can only be "guaranteed" the upgrade with J space for your exact route.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi
If I start my flight in London . Do I need to pay the government tax for Business class ticket as a supplement?
Thanks for your help
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by dtphonehome

good strategy! Didn’t consider that but I’ll give it a try.
Depending on the route/segment, it may be as difficult to get J these days as capacity-controlled business class award fares (I). I wouldn't count on having the options/luxury to change my ticket later.

I'm having difficulty redeeming my vouchers out of Toronto/Montreal to Europe and Asia, you almost have to book 1 year ahead to get the days you want to upgrade, and it looks like only YYZ/YUL-IST have J seats consistently, the rest of European cities all start with K at the moment.

I redeemed with miles recently for capacity controlled award business and TK only had 1 seat for it, the rest would require a lot more miles.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by john1987
Hi
If I start my flight in London . Do I need to pay the government tax for Business class ticket as a supplement?
Thanks for your help
Yes you do. And it's a £78 surcharge if your final destination is outside Band A.

Upgrades
  • If a passenger pays to upgrade at any stage in the journey, then they’re travelling in the higher class.
  • The same applies to free upgrades if there’s an element of entitlement or priority not enjoyed by other standard class passengers. For example ‘perks’ enjoyed by airline employees.
  • A passenger remains in standard class if they get a free upgrade but has no expectation of, or entitlement to one.

If you have a 24H break in Istanbul (generally) you don't face a supplement.

Though to be 100% accurate, the airline has to pay the tax: but they are 99.9% likely to pass it on to you
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Redeemed my vouchers at Montreal office during my holiday here.

It's been a challenge upgrading to/from Canada, I'm booking 10 months ahead and already missed out Sat out of Toronto (had to fly on Friday connecting at YUL instead).

The office supervisor recommends booking/upgrading as soon as you know your travel plans, J availability is scare these days.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy
Redeemed my vouchers at Montreal office during my holiday here.

It's been a challenge upgrading to/from Canada, I'm booking 10 months ahead and already missed out Sat out of Toronto (had to fly on Friday connecting at YUL instead).

The office supervisor recommends booking/upgrading as soon as you know your travel plans, J availability is scare these days.

I've never use my vouchers before - as there is no sign of them on my membership page i simply forget about them. But this is the year things will change ....

As my membership year ends 31 July, I wanted to check that the vouchers run on membership years, rather than calendar years, so that if i use the two available now, I'll have another two up for use from August.

So I called the THY call centre we love to love.

The agent was out of his depth. swore blind the vouchers were calendar years jobs, but a colleague put him right. He was going to call me back after confirming the membership year with a manager, and he would find out when new vouchers should be issued.

Just as well I didn't hold my breath: no call.

He DID say something interesting though: seems they are waiting for some new software which will give them the ability to answer tricky questions like mine. hmmmm

I know I ahould call again (and again) until i get a switched on agent - or an agent with expertise in the area I need help. But life's too short for all that - easier to ask our forum if we are sure about the membership year thing, and when new vouchers are credited to accounts.

Over to you, forum gurus..
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:19 pm

The vouchers expire at the end of each membership year, be sure to redeem them by July 29th just to be safe.

This is the reason I try yo do it at the office where supervisors know exactly what to do, even when they're unsure they call back Istanbul to double check.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Changeability of an upgraded flight

Has anyone done any changes to an upgraded ticket?

I happen to have an economy class booking that can be changed for EUR 100 which was upgraded using E+ vouchers. I called M&S and asked about a possibility to change outbound flight. They told me that in order to make a change, the upgraded ticket needs to be downgraded to economy, then changed and after that I can try to upgrade it to J. Agent said it's risky. I believe this is not a viable option as I used my last year's vouchers and they will most likely disappear even if credited back.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by dabee69
Has anyone done any changes to an upgraded ticket?

I happen to have an economy class booking that can be changed for EUR 100 which was upgraded using E+ vouchers. I called M&S and asked about a possibility to change outbound flight. They told me that in order to make a change, the upgraded ticket needs to be downgraded to economy, then changed and after that I can try to upgrade it to J. Agent said it's risky. I believe this is not a viable option as I used my last year's vouchers and they will most likely disappear even if credited back.
Here’s what you are looking for:

Originally Posted by vincewy
After the validity period, you may still make changes to the upgraded flight and pay change fee (based on economy fares), if the segment(s) doesn't change.

For example, if you originally had economy ticket YYZ-IST-XXX but with only YYZ-IST upgraded, and you make change and reroute to YYZ-IST-ZZZ, you can carry over your upgrade to YYZ-IST-ZZZ with YYZ-IST upgraded, provided the new flight has J available. You only pay ticket change fee (including repricing of fares), don't need to pay $25 fee for miles/voucher re-deposit, which in this case the voucher would be useless, this is call Upgrade Carryover.

I know this is very confusing and recommend getting this done at ticket office, rather than over the phone where someone can potentially ruin your ticket (ie cancelling your original flight/voucher/miles with no way of recovering it).

See my post here back in June 2017.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here’s what you are looking for:

So ..... to change a ticket already upgraded with an e-voucher, paying only the underlying change fee, you'd need to align flights with the same Y availability as the original plus J availability for those flights, to enable the upgrade to stick.

And then find an agent to handle it

good luck with all that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.