Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

I did a similar thing with mine this year: no availability on the short legs, which is unfortunate but something I can live with.

Lucked out last year on LAX-IST-JNB return, so I won’t complain ;-)
I do need to start looking for a nice ultra-long, yet cost-effective Q-class fare (with open J space) to get 100% mileage credit and help me well along the path of E+ requalification. Hadn't thought of South Africa...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Thumbs up Upgrade experience is improving

I recently upgraded twice - before vouchers expire and very soon after I got new ones. Both times smooth upgrades on whole itinerary. It still takes 15-20 minutes which I don't mind. Very nice improvement is that now it is possible to use upgrade vouchers also on tickets bought elsewhere. It was corporate travel agent in my case. Happy customer!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dabee69
I recently upgraded twice - before vouchers expire and very soon after I got new ones. Both times smooth upgrades on whole itinerary. It still takes 15-20 minutes which I don't mind. Very nice improvement is that now it is possible to use upgrade vouchers also on tickets bought elsewhere. It was corporate travel agent in my case. Happy customer!
I always issue my tickets through a travel agency and I’ve always been able to use my upgrade vouchers, so I don’t really think it’s a new improvement.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by EK788
I always issue my tickets through a travel agency and I’ve always been able to use my upgrade vouchers, so I don’t really think it’s a new improvement.
Maybe it's been around for a while but it hasn't been the case always, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17526989-post9.html
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by dabee69
Maybe it's been around for a while but it hasn't been the case always, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17526989-post9.html
Those things were seven years ago. Too long time.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
OTA booking, EF shows J4, useless TK:

Agent 1: No J on outbound, inbound ok.
Agent 2: J all the way, system error.
Agent 3: J available, but as per new rules no voucher upgrades possible on married segments.

How many times does one need to HUACA to get someone capable of issuing the upgrade on their "elite" line? I gave up and cancelled.
Any ideas / experience? Maybe local office could also do the voucher upgrade?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by on22cz
OTA booking, EF shows J4, useless TK:

Agent 1: No J on outbound, inbound ok.
Agent 2: J all the way, system error.
Agent 3: J available, but as per new rules no voucher upgrades possible on married segments.

How many times does one need to HUACA to get someone capable of issuing the upgrade on their "elite" line? I gave up and cancelled.
Any ideas / experience? Maybe local office could also do the voucher upgrade?
Have you found J space on the TK website for the flights you want? Origin to destination search, not piecing things together. ExpertFlyer is convenient, but also leads to unrealistic expectations.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Have you found J space on the TK website for the flights you want? Origin to destination search, not piecing things together. ExpertFlyer is convenient, but also leads to unrealistic expectations.
No, I trusted the combination of EF + Agent 2. Went to the local office where they confirmed avaialbility, so I got a new ticket. It took 3 staff members to issue the upgrade, but now I have my 2nd row seats confirmed and look forward to receiving another set of vouchers.

I wish the call centre would know their job at least once, though...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by on22cz
I wish the call centre would know their job at least once, though...
I used an E+ upgrade for the first time last week. It was only because I did my homework on this site that I was able to navigate through the process. After checking for J (booking class) for my itinerary, I made a 'pay and fly' booking in Y and then phoned to check if an upgrade might be available. The agent told me that it was impossible for him to check even for availability unless I had actually purchased the reservation and then misinformed me that 'J' class availability had nothing to do with voucher upgrades, but he wouldn't tell me what WAS required to apply an E+ upgrade. I politely ended the call and tried again, this time opening with asking how to use an E+ voucher, to which the agent explained the process as understood on this forum. She did mention that until the flight was booked and I called up to apply the vouchers, nothing was guaranteed (which is an aspect I completely understand and accept). She also mentioned that there were times were the 'system' declares no availability for no apparent reason, but pointed out that as the tickets were to the US, if this did happen, I could at least have the option to cancel the Y-class booking.

Anyway, she confirmed current availability and I rang off to pay for my held booking and then rang back where another agent successfully processed my upgrade request, but my goodness, a sincere thank you to the posters on this thread, as if I had not had some coaching, the first agent would have completely thrown me off course.

Shuttle
Gnopps, craigthemif and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody used a voucher lately departing the UK?

IIRC the free E+ upgrades (or with miles FWIW) don't involve paying any additional fees or taxes, but given the substantial extra APD for a UK departure in a premium cabin, I just wanted to double check with the group...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle
...and then misinformed me that 'J' class availability had nothing to do with voucher upgrades, but he wouldn't tell me what WAS required to apply an E+ upgrade...
One of the agents also told me this. And my question to what was required as availability confirmation also remained without a response.

Based on the local office agent, there is some new/special procedure for voucher upgrades after the system update, of which all relevant TK employees should be aware.
All in all, M&S is still very generous program in my eyes, so occasional troubles are acceptable to some extent.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: TK Elite +, HHonors Gold
So if I understand correctly from thread above, it IS possible to redopsit an E+ Upgrade voucher? Will cancelling a flight on which the voucher was applied suffice or will I have to call in first to cancel the upgrade and then cancel the flight?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
Just as a data point: successfully upgraded (with two vouchers) an HAN-SGN-IST-LAX-IST-CMN itinerary. Booked via OTA to get better booking class. Process was painless, I am impressed
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I might have to update the wiki.

Despite a HUACA to make sure, the agents insist that the recent system upgrade requires that tickets be issued before they will check for upgrade space. Luckily my flights were a straightforward J-available on tk.com and the upgrade cleared without issue.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I think I might have to update the wiki.

Despite a HUACA to make sure, the agents insist that the recent system upgrade requires that tickets be issued before they will check for upgrade space. Luckily my flights were a straightforward J-available on tk.com and the upgrade cleared without issue.
I really hope you are wrong (although not in any way disputing your experience), as if so, this would make the use of the upgrades even more stressful than currently (with the navigation of the TK call centre). Maybe you just had a bad run of luck with the agents? I had the same initial response as you, but the next agent did look for availability with at least a pay&fly reservation existing and this was on the 5th of January, post the system upgrade...unless the upgrade is an cover story and TK are just trying to make the upgrades a little more difficult to use... and the call centre staff are gradually becoming more consistent in their application of the new policy?

Shuttle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.