Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerby

Who didn’t offer? Call center or local office? Call center will never offer this. Local office - yes, especially if you have circumstances. I was traveling with a companion. One ticket paid J and the other an award. Local office sent one email to TK center and they opened TLV-IST I class.
It was the call center. The only time I've ever tried to contact my local office (via email on a different matter) I never heard back so I never tried reaching out to them again.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Doing a bit more research I think I understand better, the married segments, in my case CDG-IST-SIN showed J, but when you searched for them separately (i/e CDG-IST & then IST-SIN), CDG-IST didn't pull up any J for the flight I wanted.

So I guess that's how i works.

PS: What are the mileage earning rules for the vouchers? Before the upgrades were processed the projected miles earned were that of economy class U (25%) but since the agent processed the booking, the projected earnings have changed to that of Business class J! I assume it's just an error & I will only be credited miles for economy class U?

Last edited by AirCanada881; Apr 15, 2018 at 12:04 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Doing a bit more research I think I understand better, the married segments, in my case CDG-IST-SIN showed J, but when you searched for them separately (i/e CDG-IST & then IST-SIN), CDG-IST didn't pull up any J for the flight I wanted.

PS: What are the mileage earning rules for the vouchers? Before the upgrades were processed the projected miles earned were that of economy class U (25%) but since the agent processed the booking, the projected earnings have changed to that of Business class J! I assume it's just an error & I will only be credited miles for economy class U?
for me in the past you earn miles on what you paid for, so the original booking class
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef

Interesting as I have never seen such a behavior. If you didn’t have J on a leg, you would definitely not have J on the combined legs.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Thats the website quirk. HOwever, you will get credited with the originally ticketed class miles (25%)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by flyerby

Interesting as I have never seen such a behavior. If you didn’t have J on a leg, you would definitely not have J on the combined legs.
This is how the married segments work. You could try separate booking XXX-IST and IST-YYY with no J at all but XXX-YYY may have J or vice versa.

There's also another crazy situation within married segments themselves, I have see one with shorter (thus more convenient) connection without J but the longer connection has J availability.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LH4116
If I want to use my vouchers to upgrade a ticket ex-LHR, so I have to pay any additional APD tax?

I'm leaping in to give a late answer to this, because it originally received one that might have been unintentionally misleading.

Upgrade an UK-origin, APD liable flight using any instrument, miles, or vouchers and you (or more correctly, the airline) must pay the higher level of APD. An upgrade required for operational reasons escapes this.

Of course, the airline doesn't have to pass the charge on to the passenger (through goodwill, or ignorance), but I'm pretty sure most will do so.

Upgrading my LHR-IST-KUL trip would cost me over £70. Upgrading just the IST-KUL bit costs only the miles....
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:16 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Have successfully redeemed my first set of vouchers.. Stopover in istanbul didn't work though.... I think it's a stupid rule :\ had to pick a connection with less than 24h stopover and with the new airport beeing further away i took the shortest connection
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cln
Have successfully redeemed my first set of vouchers.. Stopover in istanbul didn't work though.... I think it's a stupid rule :\ ...
Or you could see it as generous of them to allow multi-sector upgrades if you make a <24H connection. I'm not sure what other airlines have similar policies: I know Lufthansa doesn't

Another friendliness seems to be that any (paid) fare class in Y is valid for upgrade.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Or you could see it as generous of them to allow multi-sector upgrades if you make a <24H connection. I'm not sure what other airlines have similar policies: I know Lufthansa doesn't

Another friendliness seems to be that any (paid) fare class in Y is valid for upgrade.
Correct. I was even able to upgrade BKK-IST-LAX with only a single voucher.
cln likes this.

Last edited by flyerby; Jun 3, 2018 at 5:59 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:46 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
a stopover in istanbul would be good for turkish economy though :P i had a 5 nights stopover planned, skipping it now and spend my money at final destination =))
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering how people's luck has been lately with something like this? JFK-IST-PEK, then PEK-IST(stopover)-JFK, Has anyone lately been able to get this done with 2 vouchers?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:48 am

I have two business upgrades using TK certificates but I'm running for another *A FFP this year. Can I credit the original economy miles (in this case in V class) to another milleage program even though the M&S number is already in the new J booking? If the airline allows it, how can it be done, I ask to change the FFP number at the check-in counter? Thanks.

Last edited by ranp07; Jun 10, 2018 at 9:51 am Reason: Mistake
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ranp07
I have two business upgrades using TK certificates but I'm running for another *A FFP this year. Can I credit the original economy miles (in this case in V class) to another milleage program even though the M&S number is already in the new J booking? If the airline allows it, how can it be done, I ask to change the FFP number at the check-in counter? Thanks.
I’d try at check-in, rather than (probably) confusing the phone agent who processes your upgrade.

Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ranp07
This is TK. Push things too far and you'll be in the last row of economy and earn no miles...

Check-in counter is probably the only place where this might work. On the return leg of your ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.