Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Rely on Expertflyer at your peril. Use it for alerts but no more...

The best place to check is on the TK website.
it's funny because your answer is so obvious but I actually didn't think about that lol thank you for opening my eyes!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:20 pm

Does anyone have experience with how big of an ordeal it is to call back to upgrade on segments that were not available on the first try? I have booked DEL-IST-BOS, and only IST-BOS was available at the time I called. I'd like to check back with TK occasionally since DEL-IST is a 6+ hour flight, its worth a few more phone calls.

Are the TK phone agents going to want "another" certificate? Are they going to want some kind of fee? Are they going to tell me it is not possible because I already upgraded one segment? I imagine they will tell me all of these things at some point, I guess maybe the actual question is.....what's really the process? :-)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Reply from TK on use of E+ voucher

I submitted an on-line feedback/inquiry to TK to request clarification on the current requirements to upgrade to business class using the E+ voucher. I asked for TK to confirm if the availability of "J" class for sale is the sole requirement for E+ voucher upgrade availability, as per the terms and conditions of the program. Based on recent experience, I also inquired if the change in their computer system now requires "I" class for either miles or E+ voucher upgrade. Here is the reply I received, not encouraging! (I added the bolding for emphasis below)

"Regarding your message, we would like to state that the terms and conditions of upgrade with miles and voucher upgrade has been changed through Miles&Smiles program.
The various kinds of tickets we offer for the use of our passengers each have their own rules and limitations of use. The terms of use are communicated at the time of sale to our passengers.

An economy ticket can be upgraded to the business cabin if there is availability. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the upgrade on a ticket if the limited seats for upgrade are occupied even there is availability on “J” class for paid ticket. In order to learn the availability, you need to have a confirmed ticket on economy cabin.

On the other hand, “I” class is used for millage business cabin award tickets. This class cannot be used to upgrade the flight from economy cabin to business cabin.
Kindly submitted for your information."
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
I submitted an on-line feedback/inquiry to TK to request clarification on the current requirements to upgrade to business class using the E+ voucher. I asked for TK to confirm if the availability of "J" class for sale is the sole requirement for E+ voucher upgrade availability, as per the terms and conditions of the program. Based on recent experience, I also inquired if the change in their computer system now requires "I" class for either miles or E+ voucher upgrade. Here is the reply I received, not encouraging! (I added the bolding for emphasis below)

"Regarding your message, we would like to state that the terms and conditions of upgrade with miles and voucher upgrade has been changed through Miles&Smiles program.
The various kinds of tickets we offer for the use of our passengers each have their own rules and limitations of use. The terms of use are communicated at the time of sale to our passengers.

An economy ticket can be upgraded to the business cabin if there is availability. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the upgrade on a ticket if the limited seats for upgrade are occupied even there is availability on “J” class for paid ticket. In order to learn the availability, you need to have a confirmed ticket on economy cabin.

On the other hand, “I” class is used for millage business cabin award tickets. This class cannot be used to upgrade the flight from economy cabin to business cabin.
Kindly submitted for your information."
My oh my what a mess, so basically it's a purchase at your own risk situation with no guarantee or rationale on whether or not you will be able to upgrade....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wiki updated to reflect current situation...
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
My oh my what a mess, so basically it's a purchase at your own risk situation with no guarantee or rationale on whether or not you will be able to upgrade....
Indeed, this is very disappointing. But the way I read TK's response is that I class availability is still irrelevant for upgrades (it was speculated earlier in this forum that both I and J need to be available in order to upgrade). J class availability is a prerequisite but not anymore a guarantee for an upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

We will have to see just how limited (or not) the E+ upgrades will be going forward, based on other members' experiences this year. I think for my 2019 vouchers I will go to the Toronto TK ticket office, purchase a flexible ticket and have the agent try for the upgrade. If the system says no-upgrade, I will ask to change the travel date of the ticket, re-issue, and try again for the upgrade. I wonder how many iterations I can get through before the upgrade clears, or the agent asks me to leave! There is very little benefit to being E+ if it becomes prohibitively difficult to redeem the upgrade vouchers... unless the new "exclusive" lounge in IST will make E+ worth the effort. Time will tell....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
We will have to see just how limited (or not) the E+ upgrades will be going forward, based on other members' experiences this year. I think for my 2019 vouchers I will go to the Toronto TK ticket office, purchase a flexible ticket and have the agent try for the upgrade. If the system says no-upgrade, I will ask to change the travel date of the ticket, re-issue, and try again for the upgrade. I wonder how many iterations I can get through before the upgrade clears, or the agent asks me to leave! There is very little benefit to being E+ if it becomes prohibitively difficult to redeem the upgrade vouchers... unless the new "exclusive" lounge in IST will make E+ worth the effort. Time will tell....
The only problem using upgrades are for long haul flights on popular routes like YYZ, LAX, SFO, BOS. You could find availability much more easier both on J and I fare classes on the YUL route or JFK route. Or try to use your vouchers at check-in depending on availability. You are automatically cleared if there is an available seat at Business Class. If IST would not be your final destination, good luck on finding availability on your onward flight as well.

Most people in Turkey end up using these vouchers for routes like FRA, LHR, CDG, MAD, BCN so good luck to you.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Is TK underestimating the impact the clear de-valuation of the benefits of E+ will have?

I mean, TK sure is a nice way to get Star Alliance Gold. And the four years of *G are still tempting but.. why would anyone have a huge incentive to keep crediting to them when the two core benefits as I see them (lounge access through special entrance + upgrades) are gone/harder to get and apparently they're not allowing TK E+ into the new top-tier lounges either?

I guess there's not a better alternative so this is just what it is.

[/rant]
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I talked to folks at Taipei office and their advice is, best chance of upgrade is ensuring there's more than 6 J seats available.

Also make sure your schedule is firm, good luck trying to change the ticket and carry over the upgrade if you need to.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Boston Elite
Does anyone have experience with how big of an ordeal it is to call back to upgrade on segments that were not available on the first try? I have booked DEL-IST-BOS, and only IST-BOS was available at the time I called. I'd like to check back with TK occasionally since DEL-IST is a 6+ hour flight, its worth a few more phone calls.

Are the TK phone agents going to want "another" certificate? Are they going to want some kind of fee? Are they going to tell me it is not possible because I already upgraded one segment? I imagine they will tell me all of these things at some point, I guess maybe the actual question is.....what's really the process? :-)
If I were you I'd just take IST-BOS upgrade and forget about DEL segment. Both BOM and DEL are possibly the hardest to upgrade and find saver awards.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:17 am

I was eyeing CDG-IST-ICN/NRT-IST-CDG & did searches for 2 award tickets in "I" to make sure there was space, but it seems that won't help me & I know NRT is a high demand destination, what a terrible change I don't know what to do
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:42 am

I was eyeing CDG-IST-ICN/NRT-IST-CDG & did searches for 2 award tickets in "I" to make sure there was space, but it seems that won't help me & I know NRT is a high demand destination, what a terrible change I don't know what to do
Did you actually try a purchase and upgrade? The fact is, right now nobody really knows when upgrades will clear or not. If there is J>0 (and bonus if I>0, since I find it hard to believe they would offer limited capacity awards, but not E+ upgrades on the same flight), I would either buy a flexible fare or book via a US based OTA for a 24-hour refund and give it a shot. Right now, no one knows just how limited (or not) the upgrade space will be. We don't have enough data points from users post program changes (whenever that actually took place). I would encourage you to kindly note the J and I situation for the individual flights and married-segements ahead of any upgrade attempt and report back on your success/failure so that we as a group can at least attempt to decipher the logic that is being used by their upgrade system.
AirCanada881 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:51 am

Did you actually try a purchase and upgrade? The fact is, right now nobody really knows when upgrades will clear or not. If there is J>0 (and bonus if I>0, since I find it hard to believe they would offer limited capacity awards, but not E+ upgrades on the same flight), I would either buy a flexible fare or book via a US based OTA for a 24-hour refund and give it a shot. Right now, no one knows just how limited (or not) the upgrade space will be. We don't have enough data points from users post program changes (whenever that actually took place). I would encourage you to kindly note the J and I situation for the individual flights and married-segements ahead of any upgrade attempt and report back on your success/failure so that we as a group can at least attempt to decipher the logic that is being used by their upgrade system.
I appreciate the sound advice. Any tips on which OTA to use? Are there any of them where you can cancel yourself without calling in?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I appreciate the sound advice. Any tips on which OTA to use? Are there any of them where you can cancel yourself without calling in?
I know from past experience that with Expedia you can cancel without calling.
craigthemif and AirCanada881 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.