Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by German Expat
Can't answer a) because didn't do it. I did gain US citizenship and I had to go to an office but did not need an appointment. I gave them my new US passport, waited in the front room (ORD) and they did register it without asking any questions.
I can confirm on (a). Just go to any GE office, without appointment, and they will update the database and give you a new sticker.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
Talking New GE member

After waiting in the ridiculously long lines on my numerous trips into LAX (from Beijing) the last few years, I finally applied. I just got the approval notification last night. I'm really excited to try it out next week. This will probably be the best $100 I have ever spent.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
[QUOTE=<SNIP>This will probably be the best $100 I have ever spent.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct, now.. welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
GE is tied in with your passport.
Not any more, not for LPRs:
Lawful Permanent Resident cards must be used at Global Entry kiosks
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:36 AM
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To:
undisclosed-recipients
Dear Global Entry Member:

Recent changes to the Global Entry program now require lawful permanent residents (LPR) to use their LPR cards at the Global Entry kiosks. Previously, LPRs could use either their cards or their passports at the kiosks. Effective immediately, LPRs must use their LPR card to initiate Global Entry kiosk transactions.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

(It was news to me that my passport could be used instead of my green card. I was told otherwise in 2009, and used my green card.)

Nonetheless, a visit to the CBP GE office is necessary once you lose your LPR card and have a U.S. passport.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had to pay $100 for 5 years for GE. Do LPR's (per post #1419 above), get to skip the lines also? [While non GE US citizens have to queue.]
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by nrr
I had to pay $100 for 5 years for GE. Do LPR's (per post #1419 above), get to skip the lines also? [While non GE US citizens have to queue.]
If you have a Green Card you can apply for it and you are a regular GE member with all rights. Also Green Card holders already can go in the same line as US citizenship holders.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by everdown
After waiting in the ridiculously long lines on my numerous trips into LAX (from Beijing) the last few years, I finally applied. I just got the approval notification last night. I'm really excited to try it out next week. This will probably be the best $100 I have ever spent.
Curious as to how long it took for approval from the time you submitted the application.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi,

I can confirm on (a). Just go to any GE office, without appointment, and they will update the database and give you a new sticker.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

How does it work for us NEXUS/GE joint members? I was originally NEXUS and then was offered free GE membership. Do I have to fly up to an enrollment centre at a Canadian airport to get my new passport details entered into the CBSA system as well? Or can GOES do it automatically?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ESpen36
How does it work for us NEXUS/GE joint members? I was originally NEXUS and then was offered free GE membership. Do I have to fly up to an enrollment centre at a Canadian airport to get my new passport details entered into the CBSA system as well? Or can GOES do it automatically?
I believe that they clear you into GOES quickly, but you still have to do the "interview" and get your sticker like everyone else. When you took them up on the offer about Global Entry membership, the emails should have told you what you needed to do.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
As somebody posted, there is an excellent thread explaining Nexus - Global Entry in the Aeroplan forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...on-thread.html
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by res1968
Curious as to how long it took for approval from the time you submitted the application.
It varies greatly, but if you read through the thread you'll find times from under 2 weeks to over 8 weeks before approval is granted (which is to say when you get to schedule an interview, at which final approval is granted and you are entered into the system). There does not seem to be much of a pattern to it, at least based on the information in posts here (e.g., lots of int'l travel, not much int'l travel; travel to certain countries; living in different places; federal gov't security clearances, etc.)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had my Global Entry appointment a couple of days ago in SEA. The appointment did not last long. I was asked a couple of question regarding the purpose of my past trips. The officer also walked me through the rules for food/exceptions/etc. I am looking forward to skipping the line on my next trip...
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Slipless
I had my Global Entry appointment a couple of days ago in SEA. The appointment did not last long. I was asked a couple of question regarding the purpose of my past trips. The officer also walked me through the rules for food/exceptions/etc. I am looking forward to skipping the line on my next trip...
Given that you are SEA based, you would have been better off going for NEXUS. Extra benefits and a lower cost.

I just went through this. You don't need to fly up to a NEXUS enrollment centre

1) You can simply self-update GOES online with your new passport number.

2) If your passport is less than a day old (as mine was, I got it at the L.A. Passport Office directly), GOES won't let you self-update till the day after. You can either wait or go into your local GE office, where they can update you right away in about 5 minutes. This is the option I took, as I was by LAX anyway.

3) If you are close to a NEXUS office, you can go there. Of course, NEXUS offices are apparently now GE offices too, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I believe that they clear you into GOES quickly, but you still have to do the "interview" and get your sticker like everyone else. When you took them up on the offer about Global Entry membership, the emails should have told you what you needed to do.
You don't do an interview with GE if you have interviewed with NEXUS. You walk in at any time the GE office is open and have them put the sticker in, scan the passport and show you the machine. No questions. Sometimes, they might ask to see your NEXUS/SENTRI card if you haven't brought the confirmation email. That may have changed now, since all NEXUS holders are automatically getting GE now.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Thank you very much for the information! I appreciate it.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
LPRs can apply for GE. I am an LPR and have GE.

Originally Posted by German Expat
Also Green Card holders already can go in the same line as US citizenship holders.
It varies by airport. For a time ORD was putting LPRs in with the non-U.S. citizens. I nearly missed my connection, and immediately applied for GE as a result. When I visited the GE office in ORD to get my CBP sticker, I complained to the CBP officer (who spoke English with a thick Spanish accent) about why ORD was doing that. He said that ORD gets lots of flights from Canada, and Canadian LPRs (like me) are a major problem for immigration.

Shortly after I sent a complaint to Nappy, ORD changed back to allowing LPRs in the citizen line (I don't expect there was a causal relationship). By which time I had GE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.