Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Proof of Financial Solvency??

Finally got conditionally approved--a week after my wife. Go figure.

Anyway, the confirmations of our appointments (printed from GOES) include the following language: "If your [sic] self employed, please provide proof of financial solvency."

Anyone had experience with this, and any thoughts on what they expect? Tax returns, bank statements, balance sheet???
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Originally Posted by dpdapper
Finally got conditionally approved--a week after my wife. Go figure.

Anyway, the confirmations of our appointments (printed from GOES) include the following language: "If your [sic] self employed, please provide proof of financial solvency."

Anyone had experience with this, and any thoughts on what they expect? Tax returns, bank statements, balance sheet???
Hello dpdapper,

Yes, I have experience. I am self-employed (no spouse, no mates). I expected the worse: bank statements, income tax returns, property tax statements, etc.

I showed up at SFO and the TSA didn't ask for *any* of that information.

He quizzed me about where I've flown internationally, how long I was there, whether the trips were for business or pleasure. Then he showed me how the kiosk worked and I was on my way.

I expected to be interrogated with a high intensity beam and what I got was a very cordial and very professional interview.

After saying that, have tax returns, property tax statements, etc. handy just in case. (I'm a firm believer of "it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.")

David
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Originally Posted by DavidHatt
After saying that, have tax returns, property tax statements, etc. handy just in case. (I'm a firm believer of "it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.")
Thanks, David. I agree and will go to the interview prepared for the worst and expecting the best. The postings here have been almost universal on how courteous the interviewers have been.

David Dapper
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by dpdapper
Thanks, David. I agree and will go to the interview prepared for the worst and expecting the best. The postings here have been almost universal on how courteous the interviewers have been.

David Dapper
And I would expect, based on some postings and anecdotes, that that courtesy will go away very quickly the minute anyone appears to have violated the trusted traveler rules and regulations.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mesquite
And I would expect, based on some postings and anecdotes, that that courtesy will go away very quickly the minute anyone appears to have violated the trusted traveler rules and regulations.
The interviewers are actually fairly forthright about this. When I interviewed, I was very clearly advised that any violation of the rules by a GE member would result in a strict application of the investigation and penalty mechanisms available.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by chollie
I already had NEXUS when I applied for GE. The 'interview' was a formality and they did not give me a sticker.

I have used GE numerous times without a hitch. However, a couple trips ago I was in ATL at the right time, so I stopped by and got the sticker because I had read that I needed it if the kiosks were ever down.

So yesterday I land in ORD. Use the kiosk, clear immigration. No checked luggage, so I sail right through to the customs line. I hand the clerk my passport and card. He looks at my passport and says "I don't see your CBP sticker."

I finally put my passport in a clear plastic holder because it was getting covered with baggage claim tickets and those sticky little 'cleared' security stickers that leave a sticky residue behind when you remove them. Unfortunately, immigration at ATL put the CBP sticker on the passport itself and it was obscured by the security stickers on the plastic holder.

The point is, I had already gotten my ticket and cleared immigration. I wasn't even in an expedited GE customs line I've seen at some airports. But he wasn't going to let me pass until I produced the CBP sticker. I guess if I hadn't had it, I would have had to fill out the I-94.

With thought processes like these, this guy should be working for TSA, not Customs.
I've cleared JFK, MIA, LAX, SFO, IAD and probably one or two others and ORD is the only place that cares about the sticker.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by bxe747
I am scheduled for my GE interview next month. Can anyone give me information about getting from terminal 1 to the enrollment center in terminal 5? Thanks!
You'll want to take the air train (technically called the "ATS") from term 1 to 5. As soon as you step off the train at term 5, look for a set of stairs to the right that goes downstairs (not well marked, IIRC). Once on the lower (baggage claim level) look for the McDonalds, walk past that and there's the CBP office behind a drab gray door. All of this is outside security.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Hello dpdapper,

Yes, I have experience. I am self-employed (no spouse, no mates). I expected the worse: bank statements, income tax returns, property tax statements, etc.

I showed up at SFO and the TSA didn't ask for *any* of that information.

He quizzed me about where I've flown internationally, how long I was there, whether the trips were for business or pleasure. Then he showed me how the kiosk worked and I was on my way.

I expected to be interrogated with a high intensity beam and what I got was a very cordial and very professional interview.

David
Just wanted to note that TSA has nothing to do with Global Entry. They are all under DHS, but this is a CBP program alone.

Originally Posted by jiejie
One week ago I arrived mid-morning at LAX--TBIT. Maneuvered through a queue of astonished foreign crew members to get through to the GE kiosks. Through in 2 minutes. ^ Very busy immigration queues even for US citizens so saved about 20-30 minutes there. Waited for bag about 15 minutes then it got really fun for Customs. Every line open with CBP officer, but I kid you not, there must have been about 200-300 people in each of 3-4 lines. Snaking everywhere. Complete nightmare. I pulled my bag over to the far left where the GE line was, only to find access completely blocked by a very long solid line. Fortunately, a CBP roving officer popped through it and I asked her "Isn't the Global Entry line around here?" She said "Hey just come through here (parting the assembled queue like the Red Sea) and got me to the outside near the exit, sending me up to an officer just standing near the front, who checked passport and my (non-X'd) receipt, then out of there pronto. ^^ Saved me at least an hour at the Customs queues--I've never seen queues that long at LAX before, nor at any other airport, even JFK.

Of course, I could feel the eyes of hundreds of wrathful waiting people on my back, trying to figure out why I got "special" privileges.
At LAX, the agent checked my name against a paper with letters like MxMz .... and others that I think were the names they were pulling over for extra checks. She definitely compared it, then said okay and let me pass. It took two seconds and I was out of there (the wait for luggage was longer unfortunately)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 30, 2010 at 1:38 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Just wanted to note that TSA has nothing to do with Global Entry. They are all under DHS, but this is a CBP program alone.
Hello GoingAway,

Thank you for letting me know of that distinction... I thought "they" were melded... but there is a difference and now I know...

I honestly did not know.

David
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello GoingAway,

Thank you for letting me know of that distinction... I thought "they" were melded... but there is a difference and now I know...

I honestly did not know.

David
NP - we're all learning ... it is an important distinction as they serve different functions and more importantly have different levels of authority (CBP having real authority where TSA is a bullying farce)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
another anecdotal reason for GE: Yesterday at IAD, the flights from DXB, GRU, and ACC all arrived at about the same time. I made it through GE, with no checked bags, and on through TSA in about 4 minutes. A guy I was talking to after my next flight said he had arrived from GRU, and it took nearly 2 hours to clear customs and immigration.

When I told him about the 4 minute GE time, he decided that it was money well spent and said he would be looking into it.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I think the GE program is getting more popular. Last week at SFO, there was actually a line to use the GE kiosks. First time I have had to wait to use a machine in 7 trips through SFO this year!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wilp888
I think the GE program is getting more popular. Last week at SFO, there was actually a line to use the GE kiosks. First time I have had to wait to use a machine in 7 trips through SFO this year!
I am worried that the machines won't keep up with that increase in demand, and there will be times going to the agent will be quicker than waiting in line for a machine. We have a while till we get there, but the demand (and publicity) for GE is definitely on the rise.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:53 pm

I flew in to ORD this Thanksgiving break. I used the GE kiosks, wife used regular line. Since we were in J, we were among the first to exit the plane. I beat her by a minute; it's not a huge difference, but I suppose it's bigger if we were in Y.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:14 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I wish everyone would stop talking about how great GE is, it just means more down time the more people who join in, unless CBP puts in more kiosks at each location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.