Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As there's a significant and active thread on Global Entry in the Travel Safety/Security forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...orthwhile.html

please follow as the thread moves to the hosting forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Newbie question here...

I'm researching NEXUS vs. Global Entry and trying to decide which is better for my needs.

I'm leaning towards NEXUS - it seems that it has all of the benefits of Global Entry plus the benefit of NEXUS kiosks in Canadian points of entry. Nexus costs $50 for 5 years, and Global Entry costs $100 for 5 years. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Newbie question here...

I'm researching NEXUS vs. Global Entry and trying to decide which is better for my needs.

I'm leaning towards NEXUS - it seems that it has all of the benefits of Global Entry plus the benefit of NEXUS kiosks in Canadian points of entry. Nexus costs $50 for 5 years, and Global Entry costs $100 for 5 years. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice.
Nexus is nicer IF you can get close to a Nexus center. I would have wanted Nexus, but I didn't have any trips planned up north in a while.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Newbie question here...

Thanks for any advice.
NEXUS is much better. The only downside is if you have to make a special trip to get it. I'm in Canada every 2-3 weeks, so it makes a ton of sense.

Remember that NEXUS also gets you dedicated lanes (or even whole bridges) on land borders and also can be used in SENTRI lanes coming from Mexico.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Nexus is nicer IF you can get close to a Nexus center. I would have wanted Nexus, but I didn't have any trips planned up north in a while.
Seattle is a cool place to hang out for a few days. Taking a trip to Niagara Falls is also nice.A

Last edited by N1120A; Jan 28, 2011 at 12:32 am Reason: Added info
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Seattle is a cool place to hang out for a few days. Taking a trip to Niagara Falls is also nice.A
Yeah. I've gone to Seattle a few times and am planning to go to Niagara in a few months, but I needed GE a few months ago.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by LouiseMc
I have had a Nexus card for years. Last week I received a postcard notifying me I was eligible for the Global Entry program. Went to the website indicated, signed up and received e-mail confirmation membership immediately. Can't wait to use it.
Are you a US or Canadian NEXUS holder? I'm Canadian, got the same post-card. On the GOES site it says I'm automatically enrolled in GE, but there is no option to join. However, apparently it does not matter as you can still use the GE kiosk anyway. A bunch of ppl on the AC forum are saying the same thing HERE.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoingAway
That's their random check - if you match, you would have been sent to secondary.
I'm curious -- is the code a full match or is it something like "if code ends with a 9, then secondary check"?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A NEXUS agent I talked to on the phone thought the passport had to be presented at an Enrollment Centre, but then wavered when I mentioned GE. I called GOES to confirm, and they said the "system" is designed to be self-updated by the member. The GE guy confirmed it. The reasons I had to go in were because I needed the sticker and because I wanted it in the system the same day the passport was issued.
When I enrolled they gave me an extra sticker "in case the other one fell off", I have no idea where I'd find it today, however.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. I've gone to Seattle a few times and am planning to go to Niagara in a few months, but I needed GE a few months ago.
If you do get NEXUS when you go to Niagara, don't go to the Enrollment Centre in Niagara Falls, NY, which is at the Whirlpool Bridge. They don't have an IRIS camera. Go instead to Ft. Erie, ON (at the Peace Bridge, right across from Downtown Buffalo) or YYZ.

Originally Posted by milepig
When I enrolled they gave me an extra sticker "in case the other one fell off", I have no idea where I'd find it today, however.
That's weird. Technically, the only people who can put stuff like that in your passport are government agents.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by cavitron
Are you a US or Canadian NEXUS holder? I'm Canadian, got the same post-card. On the GOES site it says I'm automatically enrolled in GE, but there is no option to join. However, apparently it does not matter as you can still use the GE kiosk anyway. A bunch of ppl on the AC forum are saying the same thing HERE.
The only issue some Canadians may have is if they got their NEXUS cards prior to the move to a common, 10 fingerprint live scan. In that case, they need to go to a NEXUS or GE office and get the prints done. It takes all of 5 minutes. At some people, you should get the CBP sticker as well, as it can help if the machines are down.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
The only issue some Canadians may have is if they got their NEXUS cards prior to the move to a common, 10 fingerprint live scan. In that case, they need to go to a NEXUS or GE office and get the prints done. It takes all of 5 minutes. At some people, you should get the CBP sticker as well, as it can help if the machines are down.
I got my NEXUS in 2010. I had my 10 fingerprints done and apparently these get automatically placed in the GE database so we can now use the kiosks. Yes, and it has been recommended that we obtain the CBP passport sticker.

I think that the GOES website is just not updated correctly. Before this a Canadian was not eligible for GE (only US and some Dutch citizens). I suspect the programming is lagging behind the policy.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by cavitron
I got my NEXUS in 2010. I had my 10 fingerprints done and apparently these get automatically placed in the GE database so we can now use the kiosks. Yes, and it has been recommended that we obtain the CBP passport sticker.

I think that the GOES website is just not updated correctly. Before this a Canadian was not eligible for GE (only US and some Dutch citizens). I suspect the programming is lagging behind the policy.
There is no need to enroll, which is a step up for those of use who had to actually click a few buttons before. You can just start using GE if you have the 10 prints (as you do), or you can go into a NEXUS or GE office and get the 10 prints done (though, some of the CBP people are stupidly uninformed and might try to say all of this is a fantasy), which takes less than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:00 pm

If you do get NEXUS when you go to Niagara, don't go to the Enrollment Centre in Niagara Falls, NY, which is at the Whirlpool Bridge. They don't have an IRIS camera. Go instead to Ft. Erie, ON (at the Peace Bridge, right across from Downtown Buffalo) or YYZ.
Too late for that now. I already paid my $100 to GE.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by milepig

Yep, same with me! The officer said "here's an extra one for good luck!" It's a plain white sticker with the letters "CBP" in blue.

I guess he recognized that it's not the sticker that matters, but instead what the CBP systems have on record about the passport.

As I noted above, I've never been asked to show the passport anywhere except ORD. At ORD, I'm asked about 50% of the time to show the sticker.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
When they say bring your conditional approval to the interview, is that just the page where you log in and they say it has been approved? I did not get any mail/email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.