Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by g3n1us
I helped set my parents up with Interviews which happen to be on the Civic Holiday (Aug 5). I would assume this would not be a holiday for the CBSA agents in the NEXUS office (I'm not sure if they're even off throughout the year)? Thanks.
The civic holiday is provincially mandated, so it doesn't apply to many Federal employees. If they allowed you to make the appointment, they will hopefully be there!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
The civic holiday is provincially mandated, so it doesn't apply to many Federal employees. If they allowed you to make the appointment, they will hopefully be there!
Thanks! Parents were able to have their interview today.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:29 am

Another question, after my parents went for their interview on Monday.
  • Dad: He was approved after confirming details, however no update on final approval on TTP so far. I remember when I went in 2017, I was approved minutes after my interview. Should he call the NEXUS office to ask for status?
  • Mom: She apparently missed field for her maiden name. They told her to call back in a week for status as they need to do some additional checks. Today, she received another conditional approval letter from TTP (asking for interview etc.). Anyone had experience with this? I'm suggestion she just calls the NEXUS office as well. Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd say wait the week to allow both situations to possibly remedy themselves. When you calling in to clarify your mother's situation ask about your father's if it hasn't been updated.

Originally Posted by g3n1us
Another question, after my parents went for their interview on Monday.
  • Dad: He was approved after confirming details, however no update on final approval on TTP so far. I remember when I went in 2017, I was approved minutes after my interview. Should he call the NEXUS office to ask for status?
  • Mom: She apparently missed field for her maiden name. They told her to call back in a week for status as they need to do some additional checks. Today, she received another conditional approval letter from TTP (asking for interview etc.). Anyone had experience with this? I'm suggestion she just calls the NEXUS office as well. Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:18 pm

In case anyone is interested in renewal timelines lately: submitted my renewal on 25 Jun, received approval today 7 Aug. No need to go to an interview, so I assume the new card is already in the mail.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Hopefully I get as lucky as you do. Applied for renewal July 1st, still spending review. Hopefully I don't need an interview either.

Originally Posted by governorgeneral
In case anyone is interested in renewal timelines lately: submitted my renewal on 25 Jun, received approval today 7 Aug. No need to go to an interview, so I assume the new card is already in the mail.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I'd say wait the week to allow both situations to possibly remedy themselves. When you calling in to clarify your mother's situation ask about your father's if it hasn't been updated.
I'd say wait two weeks after the interview. That's what it took for an application I handled that had no maiden name. That's what the Nexus center I called said to wait too. It's nerve racking for sure, but nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Originally Posted by xobile
I'd say wait two weeks after the interview. That's what it took for an application I handled that had no maiden name. That's what the Nexus center I called said to wait too. It's nerve racking for sure, but nothing to worry about.
My parents contacted the office for an update. They told me dad to wait two weeks for the card (I still have questions about why his stays hasn't changed to approved), and they told my mom she should get approval in a couple of days.

Ironically my mom ended up getting the full approval this morning (with alert in TTP), while my dad is still waiting for his... interesting!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Emirates,NEXUS
Originally Posted by DLByNight
About 17 years ago I drove my car across the border into the USA. At the border crossing, a random search found a cannabis roach in the back seat ash tray (nothing left of it but the cardboard filter). This was a shock to me as I never sit in the back seat. The CBP searched the car and me and found nothing else, then allowed me to continue into the USA.

I'm now planning to apply for a Nexus card and on the application is asks "Have you ever been found in violation of customs or immigration laws or other federal import laws?"

Was this incident a violation of the law if I was not denied entry?
Is there a time limit the CBP would keep these records?
Getting denied a Nexus application, will it affect me getting into the USA using my regular Canadian passport in the future?
I'm not a lawyer..and have never even stayed at a Holiday Inn. But what you describe seems to me to be a non-issue in relation to US law. I doubt that the US Border Agent would have hesitated in writing it up if there were any grounds to do so under US law.

Just as an aside...about 10 years ago I,a US citizen,drove across the border into Manitoba. The Canadian Border Agents sent me to "secondary" where they proceeded to pull my car apart,demanded the password to my laptop and asked me 100 questions about firearms. I was stunned 1) because I lead a *very* boring (meaning law abiding) life and 2) I had never had a lick of trouble entering foreign countries (including Canada) on dozens of previous occasions.

Bottom line: After 90 minutes of questions (and having my car pulled apart) I was allowed to enter.

Fast forward to late last year: My NEXUS application was approved with no trouble at all.

As far as denial and entry using an ordinary passport...I've read that denial doesn't create problems entering in the "typical" way.

Last edited by Listerone; Aug 10, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, a recent question about how to update passport information in the TTP website was moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search puroposes, recent posts discussing NEXUS renewal timelines were moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:33 pm

Detroit/Windsor's Ambassador Bridge to get three new NEXUS eGates

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/nexus-members-to-get-improved-service-at-ambassador-bridge-1.4560495?fbclid=IwAR1Ddm_jPFDo95PN1IHBqDAVt-IG85nBnRXW6rtxNgn7b17ywcXix_g2eIQ

If anyone can share an experience with this it would be appreciated.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by xobile
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/nexus-members-to-get-improved-service-at-ambassador-bridge-1.4560495?fbclid=IwAR1Ddm_jPFDo95PN1IHBqDAVt-IG85nBnRXW6rtxNgn7b17ywcXix_g2eIQ

If anyone can share an experience with this it would be appreciated.
I'm guessing this is the same as we experienced at the Peace Bridge in June. Pulled up to the Nexus Lane, and rather than someone in the booth, was questioned remotely over a speaker/microphone (I'm sure there were cameras as well and, of course, our Nexus cards were scanned at the reader (the RFID part of the article) before pulling up to the unmanned booth).

At least for us, the only question asked was where we were going. Replied that we were heading to the adjoining Nexus office (my wife needed to get her iris scan completed) and then across to Sarnia and back into the U.S. And that was it.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
One of my friends (a U.S. citizen) who's applying for NEXUS soon is planning to drive up to his sibling in Canada, and he's transporting boxes of stuff she owns up to her. I tried reading up about this, but I only saw stipulations about carrying commercial goods.

If he's going through the NEXUS lane with these boxes, what kind of declaration does he have to make for these boxes? In fact, what kind of declaration does he need to make driving into Canada even if he doesn't have a NEXUS card? Also, if you have a (relatively low-cost) present for someone, do you have to declare it?

Last edited by Nayef; Sep 11, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:13 am

Just declare everything. A few boxes of used home goods. Maybe use the regular lanes this time if you want to be extra safe. Gifts can be declared anytime. If it's less than $60 per item they don't care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.