Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Clear" Security Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I used mine at JFK a few weeks ago. They had two machines. The first did not work. The second rejected my fingerprint 5 times before letting me proceed. The process took longer then the regular line. The joke is they still check your ID. What's the point of checking my ID if they do a retinal scan AND a fingerprint check? However, I believe that Clear is well intended. It is the TSA that has added to the burdens which will ultimatley make the system fail.

What did the TSA do wrong in those five times the machine failed?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I believe there are two main intentions
  • The desire of the TSA to have some external entity search the background of all air travelers because it can't (yet) do so itself.
  • The profit motive of folks like Brill
Since CLEAR doesn't get you out of the ID check, the shoe carnival, the liquid ban, or anything else, its sole benefit as far as I can see is the ability to cut the line. The only place I've been lately without some sort of elite line is MCO, where CLEAR started. It doesn't take long to realise why MCO doesn't have an elite lane -- CLEAR pays the airport authority a commission for each person who signs up!
I have to tell you-- I just used CLEAR for the first time at MCO. The line on the B side was almost to the baggage claim escalators. I went in, they scanned my shoes and my fingerprint, and I was through the xray and metal detector in less than 45 seconds. Shoes and belt stayed on, and when the TSA agent took my clear receipt, she said, "thanks for flying."

For me, if it's like that everytime, it's worth it.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just received a CLEAR card in the mail.

Nice transparent plastic card - cool blue and white logo in the middle.

On closer inspection, it says "Your Name Here" and is accompanied by a credit card application from American Express.

I hate these things. I'm forced to open the envelope and remove the card before shredding the paper. The shredder will handle the plastic, but I don't want to mix the recyclables.

Still, I wonder, perhaps I can wave the card at the TSA line minder and get ahead of the queue?

With respect to fingerprint readers, I just had to use one at the DMV to get a new driver's license. That reader apparently didn't like finger oil. A little alcohol hand-sanitizer stuff on my hands and it worked like a champ.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Lost my clear card - does anyone know how to get a new one

i am not sure where i lost it other than i don't have it anymore? does anyone know how i would go about getting a replacement?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
If you log in to the My Account section of the Clear website, you can order a new card online (under "Report Lost/Stolen/Damaged Card").

If you don't have your account information, the customer service number is on the website as well (there's a Contact link at the bottom of the page).
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: ua aa
my wife just called them and the new one was promptly mailed. there was a charge for the replacement.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gh3319
my wife just called them and the new one was promptly mailed. there was a charge for the replacement.
How much?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
$9... not bad at all.

Davi
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:00 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
why does CLEAR require a card to work?

Just registered for the CLEAR system (security line priority service here in the US being re-started), thanks to the SPG promo.

My question -- they take your fingerprints and iris scan.

So why do I have to wait for a card to arrive in the mail? UK Iris system doesn't even require swiping anything, and they rely on it for immigration. Surely cutting to the front of a security check line is not as critical as that, to require a physical card to operate the system?

Makes no sense to me....

Last edited by TA; Jun 8, 2012 at 3:10 am
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: United
It is a premise of security. Right now they have one form of identification (your biometrics) they want a second one (something that you have). Also, doing a one to one biometric match is much easier than a one-to-many match.

There is also the possibility that your biometrics are stored on the clear card.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:00 pm
TA

Sure, your points make good sense. And I have no idea if their algorithm / systems require the card for an additional significant level of security.

It just seems to me that if the UK can rely solely on the Iris scan many-to-many match, without any card whatsoever, then for an application like this, to have an additional card requirement is not more effective. Unless it's because they also allow people to use fingerprints only -- so have to roll out the card for everyone.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:38 pm

Your biometric data are stored on the chip on the card.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TA
Sure, your points make good sense. And I have no idea if their algorithm / systems require the card for an additional significant level of security.

It just seems to me that if the UK can rely solely on the Iris scan many-to-many match, without any card whatsoever, then for an application like this, to have an additional card requirement is not more effective. Unless it's because they also allow people to use fingerprints only -- so have to roll out the card for everyone.
The UK is canning their IRIS program: http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...scanners-61681

They are switching to using e-passports and facial recognition. Effectively, one-to-one matching (similar to Clear). My guess is the IRIS technology could not scale to level they needed.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:17 pm
TA

Originally Posted by chucko
Your biometric data are stored on the chip on the card.
Uh, that is a bit silly isn't it? I guess it goes along with all of the rest of our airport security, where we trust the document that the person gives you...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by TA
Uh, that is a bit silly isn't it? I guess it goes along with all of the rest of our airport security, where we trust the document that the person gives you...
Not really silly because the biometrics are signed using some Public Key Cryptography that guarantees that it was put there by a trusted individual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.