Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Clear" Security Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I think Registered Traveler is going to cost Brill a lot before it goes down.
^ The more the better.

I've yet to see a single PAX use CLEAR at SJC. On average there are by my count 6 people in Terminal C wearing CLEAR outfits in the mornings. They look like expensive people, too. Ca-ching.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frink
^ The more the better.

I've yet to see a single PAX use CLEAR at SJC. On average there are by my count 6 people in Terminal C wearing CLEAR outfits in the mornings. They look like expensive people, too. Ca-ching.
I did AA SJC to LAX two weeks ago. There was a 20 minute wait for security. The line extended into the parking garage. During the time I had the CLEAR kiosk in view, as I waited in line, I saw one person use it. Admittedly they saved 20 minutes. . .

Yesterday I flew AS SJC-SEA and there was no line at Security. Using CLEAR would have actually taken longer because of the additional overhead of the biometrics.

They are cool looking machines
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does the CLEAR card get sent in the mail ... or at least the renewals?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the CLEAR card get sent in the mail ... or at least the renewals?
I got mine via USPS regular old mail
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:41 pm

I did AA SJC to LAX two weeks ago. There was a 20 minute wait for security. The line extended into the parking garage. During the time I had the CLEAR kiosk in view, as I waited in line, I saw one person use it. Admittedly they saved 20 minutes. . .
That's Terminal A. (Although one thing I admittedly love about Terminal A is that there are two checkpoints... frequently when one is out the door, the other has almost no wait because Ma and Pa Kettle don't know there are two checkpoints.)
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's Terminal A. (Although one thing I admittedly love about Terminal A is that there are two checkpoints... frequently when one is out the door, the other has almost no wait because Ma and Pa Kettle don't know there are two checkpoints.)
That's a good point, but the last time I was there the line from the parking garage bifurcated at the garage entrance and a TSA minder was sending the queue to both checkpoints.

In Terminal C I've rarely seen a line at the AS gates, but then there are -three- checkpoints in Terminal C.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:12 pm

That's a good point, but the last time I was there the line from the parking garage bifurcated at the garage entrance and a TSA minder was sending the queue to both checkpoints.
Wow! Holiday weekend?
[Still no complaints out of me... I've been out in the parking garage before and it's taken maybe 15 minutes total. I've been in other airports with short lines that have taken 3x as long.]
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! Holiday weekend?
[Still no complaints out of me... I've been out in the parking garage before and it's taken maybe 15 minutes total. I've been in other airports with short lines that have taken 3x as long.]
Yep, Saturday AM before a three-day. They had a little Disneyesque sign in the garage advertising "Wait time from this point is 20 minutes". The line snaked back and forth a few times before entering the terminal.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by meducate
I got mine via USPS regular old mail
Very secure system.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Very secure system.
But if I stole your CLEAR card I'd also need a couple of fingers or an eye in order to use it.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
But if I stole your CLEAR card I'd also need a couple of fingers or an eye in order to use it.
That is the CLARIFY process...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:37 pm

I enrolled at SJC back in October or whenever the initial in-person signups began there. To date have not received my card and it's not clear when it will arrive. No pun intended.

Then I get some lame spam-a-gram from Brill restating Clear's commitments to the customer. What a crock - give me my card before talking about your commitment to me.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
I enrolled at SJC back in October or whenever the initial in-person signups began there. To date have not received my card and it's not clear when it will arrive. No pun intended.

Then I get some lame spam-a-gram from Brill restating Clear's commitments to the customer. What a crock - give me my card before talking about your commitment to me.
It's been since October and you still want to do business with these liars?!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:25 am

I used mine at JFK a few weeks ago. They had two machines. The first did not work. The second rejected my fingerprint 5 times before letting me proceed. The process took longer then the regular line. The joke is they still check your ID. What's the point of checking my ID if they do a retinal scan AND a fingerprint check? However, I believe that Clear is well intended. It is the TSA that has added to the burdens which will ultimatley make the system fail.

Along the same lines, I travel through BOS frequently and e-mailed Massport asking when they would install a Registered Traveler Program. The answer I received was that they had no intention of doing so as their lines were never more than 3-5 minutes.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by speedbird001
However, I believe that Clear is well intended.
I believe there are two main intentions
  • The desire of the TSA to have some external entity search the background of all air travelers because it can't (yet) do so itself.
  • The profit motive of folks like Brill
Since CLEAR doesn't get you out of the ID check, the shoe carnival, the liquid ban, or anything else, its sole benefit as far as I can see is the ability to cut the line. The only place I've been lately without some sort of elite line is MCO, where CLEAR started. It doesn't take long to realise why MCO doesn't have an elite lane -- CLEAR pays the airport authority a commission for each person who signs up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.