Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Clear" Security Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bart
Here is where I have to side with TSA critics. This is nothing more than ambulance-chasing, and someone has certainly figured out a way to cash in.

This card merely exempts someone from the selectee passenger screening policy. In other words, for $79.95, you can guarantee that you will never get the dreaded SSSS on your boarding passes as long as you pass a background investigation.

As posted previously on many occasions, I think the SSSS system is completely wrong. Everyone and their carry-on property is already screened at the checkpoint. Selectively screening some more than others does not add to the security and it tends to imply that the basic screening is not effective. We either do it right or we don't. TSA needs to drop the selectee passenger screening policy.

It is wrong to expect people to pay for a background check to prove that they are not terrorists. The burden of proof should always remain on the government's shoulders. And this is exactly what we have here: laying down money to prove one's innocence. At $79.95 a head, I have very little confidence in the thoroughness of the type of background check it would buy since I have plenty of first-hand experiences with one of the most thorough background checks conducted by DoD: the special background investigation. SBIs are extremely thorough, and you would need something like it in order to declare someone as beyond suspicion for something like this. It's not something that can be done for $79.95. I think mine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $15,000 in 1979 dollars; safe to assume it would be much more today.

Here's the catch: in the end, all it does is exempt someone from being pre-selected for secondary screening; it does not exempt people from screening. You still have to go through the WTMD, you still have to submit your property through the x-ray and, yes, you still have to remove your shoes if they meet the screening criteria.

Instead of giving in to snake-oil schemes, TSA should drop the selectee passenger screening policy.
Bart,

I couldn't agree with you more. The selectee screening system is an admission that the primary system does not work. Heck I wonder if the secondary truly works.

I have been looking for, and haven't been able to find, any percentages or statistics as to the sucess rate of secondary screening finding prohibited items. In other words I am wondering if secondary screening catches a higher percentage of contraband vs regular screening. Do you find a higher percentage of contraband in secondary than in primary. (this is secondaries that were preselected, and not because the primary found something odd). Any chance you can provide anedoatal evidence on this?

If the airline/TSA has an issue with a particular passenger then that issue should be dealt with prior to the person being issued a boarding pass. Once the BP is issued then there should be no difference in the screening between a person, unless they are discovered to have a piece of contraband.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Here is where I have to side with TSA critics. This is nothing more than ambulance-chasing, and someone has certainly figured out a way to cash in.

This card merely exempts someone from the selectee passenger screening policy. In other words, for $79.95, you can guarantee that you will never get the dreaded SSSS on your boarding passes as long as you pass a background investigation.

Instead of giving in to snake-oil schemes, TSA should drop the selectee passenger screening policy.

Actually I think that what it does is just let you in to a different security line and is otherwise no different than the benefit of elite status lines - it may be good if you are traveling in airports that are always busy and have no elite line that you can use but i am not sure the purpose of the alleged background check - why don't they just say 'if you wanna jump ahead in the line, send us a check"
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Bart,

I couldn't agree with you more. The selectee screening system is an admission that the primary system does not work. Heck I wonder if the secondary truly works.

I have been looking for, and haven't been able to find, any percentages or statistics as to the sucess rate of secondary screening finding prohibited items. In other words I am wondering if secondary screening catches a higher percentage of contraband vs regular screening. Do you find a higher percentage of contraband in secondary than in primary. (this is secondaries that were preselected, and not because the primary found something odd). Any chance you can provide anedoatal evidence on this?

If the airline/TSA has an issue with a particular passenger then that issue should be dealt with prior to the person being issued a boarding pass. Once the BP is issued then there should be no difference in the screening between a person, unless they are discovered to have a piece of contraband.
I think we agree that selectee screening does not add to security, but we disagree on the reasons why. But I sense that you may have a different definition of secondary screening, which may explain the disagreement.

Selectee screening refers to the policy of pre-selecting certain passengers based on a number of criteria (outdated criteria IMHO) that requires them to undergo handwanding and physical bag checks even if they pass through the WTMD without setting off the alarms and even if the x-ray operator doesn't see any prohibited items in their property. In this case, "secondary screening" is euphemistically interchanged with the term "selectee screening."

However, by strict definition, secondary screening refers to the follow-up process to primary screening. In strictest terms, primary screening refers to passengers passing through the WTMD and their property being examined by x-ray. Secondary screening in this case refers to following up on WTMD alarms and/or any identified prohibited items or unidentified items that cannot be cleared by x-ray examination. It also refers to the automatic screening process for certain shoes that meet a certain screening criteria (have to throw this in or else people will challenge the "absolute" nature of my definitions). In this case, secondary screening is absolutely effective.

There have been times when knives, scissors and other similar minor prohibited items were found during secondary screening of selectees that were not identified during the primary screening of their property on the x-ray. What I found as the cause of this was what I refer to as lazy screening by the x-ray operators. Because they knew we were going to physically search the property anyway, they didn't look at those bags as closely on the x-ray screen. Where possible, I put a stop to that. During the time when I exclusively worked at the checkpoint, I know I put an absolute stop to it. However, we rotate between baggage and checkpoint screening and I average working at the checkpoint about once a week, so I won't make such a claim.

Back to your point, I disagree with your statement about primary screening not working. It absolutely works. However, the selectee screening process tends to defeat the purpose of primary screening and, as I've experienced it, tends to encourage lazy screening techniques because of the assumption that the mandatory secondary screening of selectees will catch whatever they miss.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
It's here

(A search yielded this old thread.)

Saw CSRs at SJC tonight for this card: http://flyclear.com/ It's $99.95/yr to join and only has 4 airports so far. Think this is gear towards the Flyertalk community?

From the site:
"Clear® Registered Traveler will get you through airport security lines faster and with less hassle. Working with the Transportation Security Administration, Clear ensures that members benefit from a more consistent and stress-free airport experience. They also enjoy access to a designated Clear lane, extraordinary customer service, a concierge to help with their carry-on luggage and fewer missed flights. "
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Want me to sign up?

Give me a dedicated line for those who sign up, don't require me to take off my shoes, don't bother me about liquids (they let flight attendants and pilots bring all the liquids through that they want), and don't make me take my laptop out of my bag.

Throw my bag through the x-ray machine and walk through the metal detector. If it's any more burdensome than that, I am not interested.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I am with you, Always Flying. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it covered all airports (both foreign and domestic), allowed us to carry unlimited liquids on board, and exempted us from shoe and laptop removal.

People like to complain about the TSA but they in fact look good compared to the goof balls whose pose as security agents at FRA. The last time we went through security at FRA, they threw away my ballpoint pen. Well, I guess they must have heard that the pen is mightier than the sword.

This is all so very silly. My airlines and, I am sure, the government already know every place I have been for the past 10 years. In less than five minutes they could easily determine that the chances of me being a terrorist are right up there with the chances of me being selected Miss America 2007--less than Zero.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Be advised that there will be delays for those who sign up in the next few weeks. I got this email yesterday:

Thank you for completing your enrollment for Clear® Registered Traveler. You are among the thousands of individuals who have completed in-person enrollment since early this fall. We are writing to inform you that the processing of your application has been delayed --but for a welcome reason! Over the next few weeks new applications will not be processed as the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) upgrades its systems in preparation for national roll out of the registered traveler program.

This delay has no bearing on your acceptance into the program. You do not need to take action at this time. Once TSA reviews your application and it has been approved, your membership will begin and Clear will send you an email notification. When the Clear lanes open at the airport where you completed your in-person enrollment, you will receive an email from us alerting you that your card has been mailed and your credit card has been charged.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:58 am

This is incorrect. I'm a member of CLEAR (worth every penny if you ever have to fly out of MCO on a regular basis) and I've received the SSSS on my boarding pass.

I approached the CLEAR person, went through the identification process (insert card, thumb scan). The woman stamped my boarding pass and then stopped the line to allow me in front of all the other people (you should see the look on people's faces -- priceless!). I went through the normal X-RAY, Metal Dector process and was on my way < 5 Mins from start to finish. -- saving me about 25 minutes in line on a friday afternoon.

My employer pays the cost of the program which allows me to bill a couple of more hours -- pays for itself in short order. I wouldn't pay for it myself if I was only traveling on leisure.

I'm definitely not defending this program since I don't think it does squat for security, and its just a way to pay to get to the front of the line + revenue sharing for the airports. With that being said -- I wish all the airports would roll it out so I could use it in more airports.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:27 pm
Suspended

"This is incorrect. I'm a member of CLEAR (worth every penny if you ever have to fly out of MCO on a regular basis) and I've received the SSSS on my boarding pass."

By buying this you're being part of the problem, not the solution. The only way that they can sell this program in MCO is by doing away with Elite lines. They basically force frequent travellers to get in the lineups with everyone else or pay. The FF's who pay just feed into this.

Here's how it should work. People who travel enough for work to justify the $80 are valuable enough to the airlines to have an elite security line. They skip the big lineup and go through the status lineup. This alleviates the need for a clear program. I fly out of SEA and I can't recall the last time security took me more than 5 minutes. I didn't have to pay yet another security fee in order to do it either. All programs like this will do is erode benefits that frequent fliers have now.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
Already seems pretty wise to me!
Patrick Henry

* Born May 29, 1736 in Hanover County, Virginia
* Protested British tyranny
* Symbol of American struggle for liberty
* Served in the Virginia House of Burgesses and the Continental Congress
* Three-time governor of Virginia
* Delivered the famous "Give me liberty or give me death!" speech. (1775)
* Died June 6, 1799 at Red Hill Plantation, Virginia
Doesn't seem like one to roll over for what the TSA demands today.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:52 pm

While returning CLT - IND 01/15/07 noticed in the US/UA terminal D the Clear stations being setup.

Apparently they are shooting for 02/2007 for Clear to be up in running in the 3 TSA checkpoints: D, B/B, and A.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Donna D
Actually I think that what it does is just let you in to a different security line and is otherwise no different than the benefit of elite status lines - it may be good if you are traveling in airports that are always busy and have no elite line that you can use but i am not sure the purpose of the alleged background check - why don't they just say 'if you wanna jump ahead in the line, send us a check"
Now you have to show Photo ID to access the CLEAR line - officially validating your theory that it is a "skip to the front of the line" pay service. Since you can access security in the regular line with just a Photo ID, I have no idea why it now takes a background check and fingerprint scan to access the "front of the line".
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:06 am

CLEAR- Did you get your card?

I registered with Clear on November 1st and am still awaiting my card. Clear has been terrific in communicating with me but tell me the hold up continues with the TSA processing. It's hard to believe that 5 years after 9/11 they still don't have their act together. Does anyone have any similar experiences?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Can you get a refund? You're probably not going to see much benefit from this.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Cancel now -- before they get your money! This program is an abomination. Did you know that even after voluntarily turning over all your personal information you are no longer exempted from SSSS with this card? Check out this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.