Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
Be aware that the fax instructions provided by Newbie2FT was from the FT NEXUS thread and not official instructions. It is also for a different set of circumstances as it was for updating NEXUS profile with new passport#/expiry date from a new passport issued by the same country as the expired passport.

Published policy indicate updates to citizenship document (eg new nationality) requires a visit to NEXUS enrollment centre. It is very likely they want to see the original document associated with a change of nationality instead of a fax.

You may want to give the numbers on this page a call to confirm.
Going in with originals is the way to go.

The KTN field number used previously in anticipation of PreCheck remains useful until the status in the TTP expires or is revoked/denied.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:25 pm

What is the process to update my Nexus after I receive Canadian citizenship?

I'll become a Canadian citizen next week. I've a trip to the US a couple of weeks after that, so I will need to apply for my new Canadian passport urgently after my oath ceremony.

I know that I then have to visit a Nexus enrollment center to let them know of my new citizenship status, after I receive my Canadian passport. What is this Nexus update process like? Is it just a matter of the officers updating my information on the backend, and they'll give my Nexus card back to me? Or would it take a few weeks to review? And would I instead get a new Nexus card in the mail? Do I need to make an appointment in advance?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I think a new card would be issued as citizenship is listed on it but no idea if they will take the old one in the interim.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by forgotmyUA
I'll become a Canadian citizen next week. I've a trip to the US a couple of weeks after that, so I will need to apply for my new Canadian passport urgently after my oath ceremony.

I know that I then have to visit a Nexus enrollment center to let them know of my new citizenship status, after I receive my Canadian passport. What is this Nexus update process like? Is it just a matter of the officers updating my information on the backend, and they'll give my Nexus card back to me? Or would it take a few weeks to review? And would I instead get a new Nexus card in the mail? Do I need to make an appointment in advance?
Those are excellent questions. Based on previous postings, I would assume the answers are:

1. It should be quick and easy process, although you have to be cautious, as you'll see below

2. Yes, it is a matter of updating information on the back end, but there is a chance your card will be confiscated, as it would no longer correctly list your citizenship. Even if your card is not confiscated, it may no longer be usable at a kiosk (see below)

3. It's highly doubtful it would take weeks to review

4. If your card is confiscated, you should receive a new one in the mail. If it's not confiscated, it's unclear whether you would receive a new one in the mail.

Hopefully you'll find out more definitive answers from personal experience soon and report back here afterward with some good data points

Be sure to take heed of the experiences in this thread and another similar thread that set out some cautionary warnings for you based on people who changed from US permanent residents to US citizens, and needed to update their NEXUS membership:

1)

PreCheck Gone After Trusted Traveler Citizenship Update

The spouse of @bocastephen was a US green card holder (lawful permanent resident) who had NEXUS membership. When the spouse became a US citizen, they went to the NEXUS office at YVR.

But when they went to the office, the front desk clerk said that there was no need to talk to a CBSA and CBP officer, and that the clerk would take care of the changes.

In the process, the clerk apparently made errors and did not change the spouse's listed citizenship (Taiwan), and possibly did not remove the spouse's now-invalid US green card from the system, so the spouse's new US passport was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk.

2)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27875624-post2.html

@chanuk was a Canadian citizen and a US green card holder who had NEXUS membership. When he became a US citizen, he went to the NEXUS office at YVR.

But when he went to the office, the front desk clerk said that there was no need to talk to a CBSA and CBP officer, and that the clerk would take care of the changes. (Starting to sound familiar?...)

In the process, the clerk apparently made errors and did not remove chanuck's now-invalid US green card from the system. His NEXUS card was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk (perhaps related to the green card error or perhaps related to the automatic invalidation of a NEXUS card listing citizenship as Canada upon US citizenship being added into the GOES/TTP system), although his new US passport was accepted.

3)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27870448-post1.html

The wife of @emcampbe was a Canadian citizen and a US green card holder who had NEXUS membership. When the wife became a US citizen, they went to the NEXUS office at YYZ.

But when they went to the office, the officers made the change quickly (because emcampbe and wife had a flight departing soon).

In the process, the officers apparently made errors and did not remove the wife's now-invalid US green card from the system, so her new US passport was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk.

-------

As you can see, the theme of these postings is:

- Go to the NEXUS office well in advance of any flights you need to catch.

- Insist to the front desk employee or officer that you must be seen by the CBSA and CBP officers for the document update to be properly performed.

- Ensure that the CBSA and CBP officers:

-- remove the US green card listed (in your case, your Canadian permanent resident card)

-- update citizenship to reflect United States (in your case, Canada)

-- add the US passport to the system (in your case, Canadian passport) (the least problematic from these data points).

- While you are in the office, and just after the officers make the changes, be prepared to log into the TTP system on your phone to ensure that the changes were made, and that the information / documents listed are all correct.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 10, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: narrative, wording
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

Appreciate the detailed post, Newbie2FT - really helps. Thanks, and I'll be sure to update the thread with my experience!
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I can't emphasize how important it is that documents considered invalid or documents considered "obsolete" (not yet expired, but obsolete in purpose) are removed when you have changes under NEXUS. The TTP site reflects the updates, at least from the US side, but not necessarily the Canadian side.

My experience: I was born in the US, one parent was a US citizen, other was US LPR born in Canada (Canadian citizen). Up until 2017 I didn't apply for any proof of citizenship. I went for GE in 2013 and NEXUS in 2016 on the basis of travel between US/CAN for work. When I applied for both GE & NEXUS, I had no Canadian citizenship certificate or Canadian passport, thus I wasn't considered Canadian.

When I got NEXUS in 2016, I had US Passport + a Canadian work permit obtained at the Canadian border (point of entry). They punched it in the system, and then I was good using the NEXUS kiosk.

Fast forward to 10 days before my work permit expires. NEXUS Receipt is IMM 1-1 (proceed directly to secondary customs). Wait 30 minutes. Officer says everything looks peachy. Go to fly home 6 days before end of work permit. Flight gets cancelled, next flight is tomorrow, have to re-enter Canada to get a hotel overnight. NEXUS kiosk says IMM 1-1. Secondary officer says everything looks fine. Fly up to Canada after my work permit has actually expired for a business meeting (meetings without productive work being done are exempt under NAFTA from needing a work permit). IMM 1-1 again. Wait an hour to see an officer who again tells me everything looks peachy, nothing wrong.

Finally get a new work permit (immigration firm took their time on the application package). Visit the NEXUS office to add the new work permit. Get told the NEXUS kiosks automatically secondary anyone who has a work permit that is about to expire or has expire, and the only people who can see that this is the reason for it OR clear the block is the NEXUS office. Also, the addition of adding a new work permit doesn't automatically remove the block from an old work permit (they're supposed to do it at the NEXUS office, so I'm told). This only affected the NEXUS CBSA computers since the work permit had to do with my purpose of entry to Canada (as a US citizen I could enter the US for any purpose).

Get my Canadian Citizenship certificate in September 2017, add it at the NEXUS office at YYZ next time I fly in. They mention to me that I'll need to make a second trip when I get my passport, and they'll leave the work permit on there in the interim so my next entry to Canada via NEXUS will work. Get my passport in the mail at the end of September, when I next visit YYZ in October I add the Canadian passport. I mention asking if I need the work permit on my profile anymore and all the hassles I had when my last one expired, CBP & CBSA officers remarked that "oh yeah, it should be removed". They removed it.

If you have US citizenship and add Canadian nothing changes in terms of the card. If you had US LPR/Canadian PR status and then got Canadian citizenship, I imagine they'll probably issue a new card.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
forgotmyUA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:01 pm

Just a quick update on my trip to the Nexus Enrollment Centre in Ottawa to update my personal info.

No appointment necessary. I just walked up and said I recently became a Canadian citizen, and would like to update my personal info.

The Canadian officer just took my passport and Nexus card, and added this info to the system. I also asked her to remove any reference to my previous citizenship (India) and permanent residency status, which she said she did. She then gave my passport and Nexus card to the US officer sitting next to her, who updated his system as well.

He said that my "primary" citizenship now shows that I'm a Canadian, and returned my Nexus card back to me (which says that I'm an Indian citizen). He said I should be able to use my current Nexus card and my Canadian passport at the Global Entry kiosks without any issue, which I was surprised to hear. He also said that if I needed a new Nexus card where it specifically mentions that I'm a Canadian citizen, I would just need to do a "lost and replace" request for my Nexus card and pay US$25 online. I wonder if it's that easy? I guess I will only find out the next time I travel to the US.

However, when I log into my TTP account (after several hours), I STILL see information about my Indian citizenship and PR status...so I'm not even sure if this was removed, as the officers had said, or if it would just take some time for the system to update. @Newbie2FT had suggested checking my TTP account while in the Nexus office, which I did, and the officers had said it'll take time for the system to update. But I still see no change here...

EDIT
I traveled to the US sometime last week with my Nexus card. I had a connecting flight in Toronto, and as I had arrived from a direct flight in the US, I had to speak to an officer at immigration (for whatever reason). And guess what...I had problems re-entering Canada with the Nexus card, as it mentions that I am an Indian citizen. The officer was confused...he scanned my Nexus card, and asked when I became a Canadian citizen...and why I still had a Nexus card that mentioned I was an Indian citizen instead. Sigh...this was exactly the situation I was worried about. He was nice, and said that I MUST REPLACE my Nexus card through the "Lost & Replace" button...and that HOPEFULLY, my new Nexus card will indicate that I am a Canadian citizen.

After this incident, I called up another Nexus Enrollment Centre and requested that they remove my previous Indian citizenship and PR information on my TTP account, and only keep info about my Canadian citizenship...and the officer replied..."Don't worry about it! We don't need to do that!"

I'm at my wits end with these guys!!
phltraveler and Newbie2FT like this.

Last edited by forgotmyUA; Apr 12, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:26 pm

While waiting for my bags at the carousel, I figured it'd be a good idea to walk in at the Global Entry in IAD to update my passport info. I am too a recent LPR -> USC. Having read this thread before I knew what to ask for. I wrongly assumed I was going to be speaking with an officer. I was instead, taken the passport, asked to wait in the waiting area, returned the passport after 20 minutes, and being told "it's all done". I asked the lady who took/returned my passport if my green card info had been removed, she said yes. Two days later I log in on the website and I see both US passport and green card. ...!

I can do another walkin at some point, just that it's very inefficient. And since there's absolutely no recourse through the website, the walkin becomes pretty much mandatory.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Marriott FSPP
Hey,

I wanna ask if the issue has been addressed?
How is your travel now with Nexus, any problem?

Also, do you get ant TSA-Pre?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by forgotmyUA
Just a quick update on my trip to the Nexus Enrollment Centre in Ottawa to update my personal info.

No appointment necessary. I just walked up and said I recently became a Canadian citizen, and would like to update my personal info.

The Canadian officer just took my passport and Nexus card, and added this info to the system. I also asked her to remove any reference to my previous citizenship (India) and permanent residency status, which she said she did. She then gave my passport and Nexus card to the US officer sitting next to her, who updated his system as well.

He said that my "primary" citizenship now shows that I'm a Canadian, and returned my Nexus card back to me (which says that I'm an Indian citizen). He said I should be able to use my current Nexus card and my Canadian passport at the Global Entry kiosks without any issue, which I was surprised to hear. He also said that if I needed a new Nexus card where it specifically mentions that I'm a Canadian citizen, I would just need to do a "lost and replace" request for my Nexus card and pay US$25 online. I wonder if it's that easy? I guess I will only find out the next time I travel to the US.

However, when I log into my TTP account (after several hours), I STILL see information about my Indian citizenship and PR status...so I'm not even sure if this was removed, as the officers had said, or if it would just take some time for the system to update. @Newbie2FT had suggested checking my TTP account while in the Nexus office, which I did, and the officers had said it'll take time for the system to update. But I still see no change here...

EDIT
I traveled to the US sometime last week with my Nexus card. I had a connecting flight in Toronto, and as I had arrived from a direct flight in the US, I had to speak to an officer at immigration (for whatever reason). And guess what...I had problems re-entering Canada with the Nexus card, as it mentions that I am an Indian citizen. The officer was confused...he scanned my Nexus card, and asked when I became a Canadian citizen...and why I still had a Nexus card that mentioned I was an Indian citizen instead. Sigh...this was exactly the situation I was worried about. He was nice, and said that I MUST REPLACE my Nexus card through the "Lost & Replace" button...and that HOPEFULLY, my new Nexus card will indicate that I am a Canadian citizen.

After this incident, I called up another Nexus Enrollment Centre and requested that they remove my previous Indian citizenship and PR information on my TTP account, and only keep info about my Canadian citizenship...and the officer replied..."Don't worry about it! We don't need to do that!"

I'm at my wits end with these guys!!

Hey,

Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vincentzh306
Hey,

Not sure who you are referring to, but for my spouse, upon renewal of Nexus and some cleansing of their file by the US side to resync Global Entry during the Nexus renewal interview, everything is back to normal including Precheck.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by lfcfan
While waiting for my bags at the carousel, I figured it'd be a good idea to walk in at the Global Entry in IAD to update my passport info. I am too a recent LPR -> USC. Having read this thread before I knew what to ask for. I wrongly assumed I was going to be speaking with an officer. I was instead, taken the passport, asked to wait in the waiting area, returned the passport after 20 minutes, and being told "it's all done". I asked the lady who took/returned my passport if my green card info had been removed, she said yes. Two days later I log in on the website and I see both US passport and green card. ...!

I can do another walkin at some point, just that it's very inefficient. And since there's absolutely no recourse through the website, the walkin becomes pretty much mandatory.

Update:

had to do another walkin. Told the officer what the issue was, he brings me in, looks it up then shakes his head in disbelief. Then he removes GC and leaves only passport info. Shows me the screen to confirm.
Basically, if you need to do an LPR->USC conversion, make sure, absolutely sure, that they REMOVE the GC info and leave only passport.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure who you are referring to, but for my spouse, upon renewal of Nexus and some cleansing of their file by the US side to resync Global Entry during the Nexus renewal interview, everything is back to normal including Precheck.

Thank you,

I was trying to ask forgotmyUA, he mentioned he still has issues after renewing in YYZ.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:39 pm

It's all fine now. I had them send me a new Nexus card (where it says I'm a Canadian). Then I kept calling the Nexus Enrollment Centre to have them remove *any* references to my previous citizenship, which they said they can't do...but then finally, an agent said she can add a detailed note in their system saying that I am no longer an Indian citizen etc etc.

Ever since then, no issues at all. I have TSA Precheck too.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:53 am

Global Entry is rendered useless when switching from US residency to citizenship

My wife and I have been in the same position: initially, we got GE as green card holders, and recently walked into a GE office at an airport and updated our information because we obtained US passports. On Flyertalk, I had read about another guy in the same position who wasn't able to use his GE because his green card info wasn't purged from the system and at the border he was required to produce the green card he no longer had. Therefore, during my walk in I asked the officer explicitly to purge my green card info from the system. He said that technically, he was unable to do that but that shouldn't create an issue.

As you have already guessed, a couple of weeks ago my wife was unable to use her GE because she was required to produce a green card at the border. Most likely, my GE is also useless even though I haven't tried it yet. How do I fix that? I heard there is this magic phone number I have to call exactly at 8 am, is that right?

Regards,
Nik

Last edited by NikSem; Oct 28, 2018 at 10:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.